Sign in to follow this  
kevinh

FSX memory usage with the 777

Can anyone give me an idea how much memory FSX is using with the 777 loaded? PMDG minimum requirements state that the 777 might run on a 32 bit OS but it isn't supported. So basically 32 bit users buy at their own risk. I'm trying to get an idea of what memory usage actually is to see whether it might be worth a shot running it under XP-32.  Migrating to Win 7 64 bit from XP would be a major headache, apart from the additional cost of the new OS. Given PMDG's refund policy (or lack of one) I don't want to buy the 777 and then find it won't load on my system.

If anyone has managed to get the 777 running using 32 bit windows I'd be interested to hear how well it runs.

Thanks in advance.

ki9cAAb.jpg

I'm running a 4 year old system with Windows 7 32bit. Runs but I think I'm going to have issues. I've only loaded the aircraft once, did a circuit and landed, FSX has used all my memory! Going to try a few tweaks and see if I can improve things (I only just discovered Ryan's post regarding Nvidia Inspector and a few other things.

As far as as performance goes... it's as good if not better than the NGX. Very happy with it! (Other than the memory issue but that's my problem to sort out, ie buy W7 64!!)

Cheers,
Ryan

Professional Coffee Drinker/BAe146 Driver
Aircraft Maintenance Engineer

Go watch Froogles videos about OOMs and VAS usage. Im thinking my settings need a tweak as well. 12 hours of flying the NGX and crash

It uses approx. 2 Gb memory at load (total) but I have a few sceneries in the area. I flew around for 3 to 4 hours without problems.

The real test will be Heathrow-Sydney non-stop! Memory leaks in FSX are time dependent, so need to wait and see.

Best regards,

Robin.

2Gb ist you total amount (so default+scenery+777). Ryan said in one of his posts that the NGX uses around 700mb, the 777 should be about 50-150mb more depending on the situation.

Regards,
Chris Volle

i7700k @ 4,7, 32gb ram, Win10, MSI GTX1070.

Its a shame that VAS overusage is an issue. I cant push my machine to its full potential if youre doing long haul :(

2Gb ist you total amount (so default+scenery+777). Ryan said in one of his posts that the NGX uses around 700mb, the 777 should be about 50-150mb more depending on the situation.

That is very hard to say unless you know the exact size of all the textures and the systems code when loaded. Let me start in Darwin and see, because I found in that part of the world due to the way the terrain mesh works, I get crazy fast frame rates (300+). Hopefully then the memory load is more representative of just the aircraft and not much else.

Best regards,

Robin.

I'm running a 4 year old system with Windows 7 32bit. Runs but I think I'm going to have issues. I've only loaded the aircraft once, did a circuit and landed, FSX has used all my memory! Going to try a few tweaks and see if I can improve things (I only just discovered Ryan's post regarding Nvidia Inspector and a few other things.

As far as as performance goes... it's as good if not better than the NGX. Very happy with it! (Other than the memory issue but that's my problem to sort out, ie buy W7 64!!)

Dont forget that deactivating not used/not required scenery from the FSX library can free up VAS!

Rob Robson

Thanks for the answers, very helpful.  Seems it might work, so I'll take a chance on placing an order.

ki9cAAb.jpg