Sign in to follow this  
ArjenVdv

Out Of Memory

Well for me I didn't get the pop-up but just a sound going like "ping" in the background every few seconds. It's one of those sounds you hear in windows when some program or window is trying to attract your attention. But is this also an indication of the OOM? I can recall from one of Froogle's vids he described the same sound as being related to an OOM.

Looking at the framerates, which are lower than the NGX for most people, and the VC which is supposed to be less complex, this thing is just made too detailed. PMDG probably took advantage of the less complex VC, and decided they could compensate for the increase of performance by increasing detail even more compared to the NGX, but it seems they've overdone it. This resulted in an overly complex airplane which FSX just wasn't made for, resulting in these issues and low framerates.

I wish this thing would perform like the MD-11, that thing performs like a dream. I can just taxi around at Aerosoft EHAM, have settings to max and have 30 FPS all the time even with my mouse pointer shown, that's really amazing. In the 777 I already drop below 30 right there even without the mouse pointer.

I'd much prefer a slightly lower detailed VC and have performance like the MD-11, or at least implement an option. For many gamers of nowadays, anything lower than 60 FPS is already considered unplayable, let alone anything lower than 30 FPS! 

For me I want 30 FPS because I run VSync which only works at 30 FPS, and imo it's a tweak I would never fly without because it takes FSX to a whole new level because of the zero microstutters. 

For me I want 30 FPS because I run VSync which only works at 30 FPS, and imo it's a tweak I would never fly without because it takes FSX to a whole new level because of the zero microstutters.

That's not true at all. Let me guess, you're monitor has a 60hz refresh rate and you're using the 1/2 refresh rate setting in NI? That doesn't mean you need 30fps for Vsync though.

I keep repeating myself....and I have not had to use it myself....but disabling not used scenery packages from the FSX scenery library supposedly reduces VAS use significantly and thus the chance of OOM.

(thats besides obvious things like turning down FSX sliders and stuff like that)

Guys read this post carefully, as he's 100% correct. Don't waste your time uninstalling/installing whole sceneries. All you have to do is go to your Scenery Library and uncheck areas you'll be flying through. This is exactly what the Scenery Library is for! If you have an addon airport in Switzerland, and fly a U.S. route, part of that Swiss addon WILL load into memory, no matter where you're flying.

I keep repeating myself....and I have not had to use it myself....but disabling not used scenery packages from the FSX scenery library

Well unfortunately I use all my addons and I shouldn't have to disable stuff to fly a flight.  Never had to before.  Like I said I'll check out that LOD radius thing-a-ma-jig.

All you have to do is go to your Scenery Library and uncheck areas you'll be flying through

You mean uncheck areas you won't be flying through?  I have a gazillion sceneries and to do this before each flight is ridiculous.  

Well unfortunately I use all my addons and I shouldn't have to disable stuff to fly a flight.  Never had to before.  Like I said I'll check out that LOD radius thing-a-ma-jig.

You mean uncheck areas you won't be flying through?  I have a gazillion sceneries and to do this before each flight is ridiculous.

Well, then live with the OOMs!

The more you add to FSX the more you put into your available VAS.(thats how I understand it)

You just added the 777, maybe that was the last bit your install needed to exceed those 4GB.

The gazillion scenery packs you have are exactly the problem.

consider yourself luck you uad no OOMs so far ;-)

Turn off what you dont need....it will stay off.....you dont have to turn everything off each time.....you only have to turn on what you do need.

I know it is annoying, but if that gets rid of OOMs....is it not worth the 2 minutes of work so you can have a 3 hour uneventfull flight?

But do as you please.

Rob Robson

Thats what Im runnng, and yes, I do need 30 FPS or higher for this tweak to take its effect. Anything lower than 30 FPS and you'll have a bit of microstuttering again. There is of course a reason you're setting it to 1/2 refresh rate.

Verstuurd van mijn GT-I9300 met Tapatalk

You just added the 777, maybe that was the last bit your install needed to exceed those 4GB.

Maybe.  Argh!  I wonder if I could just uninstall some planes I don't use anymore.  Do you think that would help?  Or is it just scenery?  

Guys read this post carefully, as he's 100% correct. Don't waste your time uninstalling/installing whole sceneries. All you have to do is go to your Scenery Library and uncheck areas you'll be flying through. This is exactly what the Scenery Library is for! If you have an addon airport in Switzerland, and fly a U.S. route, part of that Swiss addon WILL load into memory, no matter where you're flying.

Amir, this would be accomplished by changing TRUE to FALSE in each scenery entry in the cfg right? I usually am in just the US. So disabling my Europe stuff is doable. Have a US and Europe cfg

Sent from Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Eric 

Are you guys flying the same plane I am. I don't have worse fps than the ngx. It doesn't use more vas than the ngx. I don't get ooms with ngx. I have had a few at large payware airports but reducing ai stopped the oom. I've done two flights with the 777. The tutorial with FT Dubai and kpae to FT Tampa. Orbx PNW and FTXG. No problems no ooms. I don't understand the huge deal with ooms.

2 hrs 52 mins, at 7130N.

Memory usage: 1.7 Gb

Sun is rising in the west, but still below the horizon. Getting noticably lighter.

Best regards,

Robin.

Amir, this would be accomplished by changing TRUE to FALSE in each scenery entry in the cfg right? I usually am in just the US. So disabling my Europe stuff is doable. Have a US and Europe cfg

Sent from Samsung Galaxy Note 2

If you're going to edit the scenery.cfg directly, then it's this line you need to edit from: 

Active=TRUE

to..

Active=FALSE

Maybe.  Argh!  I wonder if I could just uninstall some planes I don't use anymore.  Do you think that would help?  Or is it just scenery?

To be honest, I allways thought it was just scenery.....but when you mentioned that you did not have problems with the 737 NGX I came up with the idea that maybe EVERYTHING (not shouting, just dont know how to write italic) you add to GSX adds to VAS.

Makes sence too, because when you start FSX and you have this menu to choose what aircraft to fly....it cant know what you can choose from unless while booting it takes a look at all the stuff you have. And I guess that loads even airplanes into VAS.

Anyway, it is worth a try.

You can also try a reboot of Windows before starting an FSX session.

But for me....I would just turn off Innsbruck and Vienna and Manhattan X and Anchorage X etc etc when flying around Australia for instance and only reactivate those airports if actually need them.

Rob Robson

I had one OOM, but to be fair I was pushing my FSX to its limits. High LOD RADIUS, AI traffic, detailed airports...

The 777 seems to have better FPS compared to NGX, but uses more memory. So I'm just changing some settings here to fly without problems. Don't think the model is too complex or anything like that -- to be fair, I expected a worse performance... I mean, I'm impressed with the optimization. Well, there's my two centavos.

Didn't know that. Thanks for the tip!

Are you guys flying the same plane I am. I don't have worse fps than the ngx. It doesn't use more vas than the ngx. I don't get ooms with ngx. I have had a few at large payware airports but reducing ai stopped the oom. I've done two flights with the 777. The tutorial with FT Dubai and kpae to FT Tampa. Orbx PNW and FTXG. No problems no ooms. I don't understand the huge deal with ooms.

Yeah reducing AI would help too.....the point is you have to reduce somewhere.

Rob Robson

I used to get OOME until I determined there were MULTIPLE causes, all within FSX.

I isolated it to:

* AutoGen

* AI traffic

* Road traffic

One thing about all these are that they take time to occur, and if you are not near them, then they may have less of an effect. If you get OOME flying for 12 hours over the ocean then something is definitely wrong.

Since I learned to live without AutoGen, and AI of all types, I have not seen OOME.

A point to note is that OOME can occur with substantially less than reported memory usage. It relates to fragmentation of memory, with the actual problem being that there is no contiguous memory of sufficient size for a memory allocation (any) within the process. The source can appear to be an add-on, but that could be completely bogus, because it could just be that the add-on made the request that killed it, but is not necessarily the source of the memory leak(s).

If you get OOME within 30 nm of the airport, check the landclass!!!!! There is a memory leak bug if a landclass file is sat in a scenery directory that simpy has a texture folder.

The other memory leak regarding scenery is empty texture folders, but this might only affect FS9.

Either way, to avoid these leaks:

* remove empty texture folders

* Put landclass files in its own scenery folder with NO texture folder. They will still function correctly. The mere existance of a texture folder is the source of the leak.

Best regards,

Robin.