Sign in to follow this  
ArjenVdv

Out Of Memory

Hello PMDG,

First let me tell you how much I love your new creation, it's amazing!

However, just on a first flight into LFPG today, I encountered a famous FSX problem that I have NEVER had before. Just when I was coming in to land I heard this Windows caution sound on the background. Just when I landed it kept sounding every few seconds. So this is what an OOM is.

Now, when I installed the 777, no changes in FSX had been made. With the NGX or MD-11, or any aircraft for that matter, I have never experienced this before. And my settings are not even THAT high! I am running maxed out scenery, with water at HIGH 2X, and ground shadows disabled. Also, ALL AI traffic is DISABLED. Now, if I can't even do a one hour flight from EHAM to LFPG with these settings, I just wonder what would happen if I would do a long haul flight connected to IVAO landing in bad weather!

I am sorry PMDG, but this time your aircraft is perhaps a bit too detailed, I love this detail however and it's amazing, and sometimes I wish you guys had a better platform to work with, but this complexity is simply bringing FSX and all of our systems to its knees. I actually expected better performance because of a less complex looking cockpit, but no, for me, and so far everybody else with decent systems like mine, this thing is harder on FPS than the NGX.

You can tell me to disable this and disable that, but if I have never had the problem before then it must be related to the 777.

I hope you guys can address this soon.

Thank you and again I love the aircraft so far! 

Arjen,

With all due respect and in the most constructive way, your problems are NOT related to the 777X directly and because you did not experience OOMs with the NGX is not really relevant. FSX requires a proper install and an understanding of the source of OOMs and some fine tuning ESPECIALLY with a new complex aircraft. Assuming that you have a stable FSX install, do the following as a starting point to commence the process of tuning YOUR FSX.

1) delete your fsx.cfg file and run FSX.

2) turn autogen slider down low.

3) turn your traffic slider down low

4) turn road and boat traffic almost off

5) Add ONE and only ONE line to your fsx.cgf file. HIGHMEMFIX=1 in the [GRAPHICS] section.

6) do not use DX10

After doing the above, I highly doubt that you will have OOMs. If you do, something else is very wrong with your platform.

I am running the 777X at FSDT's CYVR and I can make the sim OOM no problem. But I tune things down so that my free memory is within acceptable limits. Use the native windows performance monitor to keep an eye on your memory consumption and in crease your sliders bit by bit until you know were your OOMs occur and then back off a bit. You now have a tuned FSX. 

The 777X runs beautifully with NO OOMs sitting at gate 73 at approx 25 FPS in the cockpit with approx 300 MB free. Even with my very fast system, you cannot have everything cranked with a complex aircraft and killer scenery. It is just that simple!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_VrFV5r8cs0

So, please no more silly and unfounded statements about the 777X being too detailed.

Cheers, s

Before you start uninstalling stuff try just reducing autogen to sparse and see if that's enough. It was for me when I was dealing with oom errors. These guys are right about the cause of oom errors.

Nice.  I was going to fiddle with sliders tonight.  What exactly does autogen do?  It's the stuff that randomly generates in your scenery right?  Don't most addon sceneries need autogen maxed out?  

1) delete your fsx.cfg file and run FSX.
2) turn autogen slider down low.
3) turn your traffic slider down low
4) turn road and boat traffic almost off
5) Add ONE and only ONE line to your fsx.cgf file. HIGHMEMFIX=1 in the [GRAPHICS] section.
6) do not use DX10

I'm going to re-populate my FSX config too and see if that helps.  Are the ******* tweaks not any good?

It's got nothing to do with RAM, it's 4gb of VAS.  DX10 offloads some of this to your videocard and therefore plays a rather significant part in helping with OOM's.

That's not what DX10 does. DX10 does not have the requirement to shadow-copy the in-use VRAM to VAS - it doesn't "offload" anything. You get a variable reduction in the VAS load from that.

Guys - if you go to pages 21-25 in the Introduction manual that comes with the 777 there is an extremely detailed discussion of OOM errors and VAS management that I wrote to help you avoid this problem. Please read it and follow the suggestions. The 777 itself uses no more VAS than the NGX and several other high end addons recently released do.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Please read it and follow the suggestions.

I think most of us with the problem have done those changes.  I'm going to also try out the others mentioned on this thread and see what happens.  

This is a notorious problem with the Concorde X because of its complexity. It has been suggested to disable all add-on airport scenery in the FSX scenery library. Then, when you're planning a flight between 2 airports, go in and only activate the 2 airports you'll be flying to/from. This is only if you have quite a bit of third party airport scenery, like I do. I know its annoying, but give it a shot. 

i can see you on vataware Robin !  B)

:lol: B)

Sorry to keep interjecting with these progress reports, but there is a purpose! I'm putting my neck on the line regarding my claims about FSX stability, if you ditch the traditional eye-candy.

5 hrs 40 mins... 75110N, FL360. Current memory usage: 1.8 Gb.

e89v.png

Best regards,

Robin.

I think most of us with the problem have done those changes.  I'm going to also try out the others mentioned on this thread and see what happens.  

You've monitored with Process Explorer? I can tell you with 100% certainty that the 777 uses around 700-800MB of VAS. The remaining 3.2 or 3.3 GB needed to crash it has to be coming from somewhere else - guaranteed.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

3.2 or 3.3 GB needed to crash it has to be coming from somewhere else - guaranteed.

I'm 100% with you.  Lots of us here have got OOM when flying in to FSDT CYVR so I think we need to look at these other options too that are being listed to try.  I wouldn't be surprised if it is the culprit.  It's a huge hog.   

:lol: B)

Sorry to keep interjecting with these progress reports, but there is a purpose! I'm putting my neck on the line regarding my claims about FSX stability, if you ditch the traditional eye-candy.

5 hrs 40 mins... 75110N, FL360. Current memory usage: 1.8 Gb.

Robin,

Are these Process Explorer Virtual Size numbers you're reporting? They look kinda low to be those unless you're running completely stripped down or something.

If those are physical RAM numbers or whatever then they're basically totally irrelevant to the OOM thing. You can get an OOM with 1GB of physical RAM usage if the VAS exceeds 4.

I'm 100% with you.  Lots of us here have got OOM when flying in to FSDT CYVR so I think we need to look at these other options too that are being listed to try.  I wouldn't be surprised if it is the culprit.  It's a huge hog.   

Are you using Orbx FTX PNW with it too? That's the only situation I've been able to get one at YVR with.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

if you ditch the traditional eye-candy.

In flight isn't the problem I think.  For me anyway it's approaching dense scenery.  What have you done to reduce the load?  Auto gen reduction etc?

Robin,

Are these Process Explorer Virtual Size numbers you're reporting? They look kinda low to be those unless you're running completely stripped down or something.

If those are physical RAM numbers or whatever then they're basically totally irrelevant to the OOM thing. You can get an OOM with 1GB of physical RAM usage if the VAS exceeds 4.

Are you using Orbx FTX PNW with it too? That's the only situation I've been able to get one at YVR with.

Yes Ryan I have that Orbx blue rockies thing installed.  Any suggestions other than what's been mentioned and what's in the intro manual?  

Good job on that thing by the way.  A good read.  

Hello Mr. 35 posts and no signature.  Who said it was PMDG's fault?  That's right, nobody.  

Really???

I mean really???

Really???

I mean really???

Well... I wasn't blaming PMDG.  His post insulted me.  Now I will go cry.  

That's not what DX10 does. DX10 does not have the requirement to shadow-copy the in-use VRAM to VAS - it doesn't "offload" anything. You get a variable reduction in the VAS load from that.

Thanks Ryan. I didn't explain it fully, as I was trying to keep it simple, my point is as you said. The end result is that using DX10 you get the reduced VAS usage.

Lots of us here have got OOM when flying in to FSDT CYVR so I think we need to look at these other options too that are being listed to try. I wouldn't be surprised if it is the culprit. It's a huge hog.

Seriously? You should check the VAS load with default YVR then compare it to FSDT YVR, again with FTX PNW, then Van+ etc, the 777 and may as well throw in the NGX. You'll see they EACH have their own share of the VAS.

It's a matter of adjusting your settings and not to simply blame one addon, it's a combination of them ALL. How many times does this whole OOM issue have to be addressed?

I run UTX, FTX PNW, Van+, FSDT YVR, and a fairly massive amount of custom AI and haven't had any OOM issues with the 777 so far. But, I'm also running FSX in DX10 preview

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS