Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ted Striker

Do the ORBX regional sceneries and airports have uninstallers?

I'm considering getting ORBX PNW and some of their airports. After all the discussion about the release of FTX Global without an uninstaller I've got to ask: Do the ORBX PNW and ORBX airport software packs come with uninstallers?  I've done a search of this website and a google net search and could not find an answer.

Ted

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

No, but there are ways to remove it manually if needed(not that you will ever need to :rolleyes: )

Thanks for the response Kaboki. If I register on the ORBX forums will I be able to find a document that describes the steps and difficulty to uninstall all of their various software? Or do I need to buy a product first? I don't see anything about it on their website.

Are the regions and airports installed manually or with automated installers? If they are installed manually then I can see that the uninstall would just be a reverse of the installation process.

Ted

I don't think there is a guide there, but if you ask in the support forum they will useally explain too you how it's done(you may have to be a paying customer though)

Orbx regions and airports have installers, but do not have uninstallers.  On the support site there are uninstalling guides for regions, airports etc, listed under the FAQ pages.   It's pretty straightforward.  Yes, that probably begs the question: "why then don't they provide uninstallers if it's easy?", but it really isn't a big deal in practice.

Scott

Thanks Kaboki. I'm on the fence between getting PNW or photo scenery. If I've gotta jump through hoops to uninstall the ORBX software I think I'm going with the photo secenery.  I just invested a fair amount of cash and a lot more time building a new system. If I run into system problems I want to be able to easily remove stuff.

Ted

Good to hear Scott. I will register on the ORBX forums and see if I can access those documents. If I cannot I am going to pass on the ORBX stuff.

Ted

I'm on the fence between getting PNW or photo scenery. If I've gotta jump through hoops to uninstall the ORBX software I think I'm going with the photo secenery.

Apples and orangutans, really.  Most people either like photo, or they like Orbx regions.  Honestly, PNW and Orbx airports are pretty easy to uninstall, and even easier to simply disable.  Of all the reasons to choose either photo or Orbx regions, well, this ain't one of 'em.

Scott

I'm on the fence, this is just pushing me in one direction. :smile:  What bothers me more is why would a company of this caliber not provide uninstallers? If it was a manual install I could understand. My concern comes from reading about what ORBX does with core FSX files in FTX Global and wondering if they are doing something similar with their other scenery. Thanks for the information though Scott. I'll register on their forums and see what I can find.

Ted

Well, that's a mystery that remains to be answered. :P It would be easy for them to make an unistaller, but I'm sure they have a reason for not making it.(whatever that is)

but I'm sure they have a reason for not making it.(whatever that is)

That's what concerns me. This reminds me of the oil and gas companies with their fracking fluids. "We don't want to tell you what's in the fluids cause its a proprietary trade secret but you can trust us its perfectly safe" Yeah sure, you betcha.... :lol:

Ted

I'm on the fence, this is just pushing me in one direction. :smile:  What bothers me more is why would a company of this caliber not provide uninstallers? If it was a manual install I could understand. My concern comes from reading about what ORBX does with core FSX files in FTX Global and wondering if they are doing something similar with their other scenery. Thanks for the information though Scott. I'll register on their forums and see what I can find.

Ted

That's how the suck you in, they don't want you to uninstall any of their products (insert evil laugh here)

I have both ORBX and photoscenery and like both. I find myself using photoreal more because I like the design aspect of upgrading airports with autogen and objects and I find that the performance costs with real weather and everything else a bit much at times still with ORBX.

And sometimes unwarranted concerns are just that...  Just sayin'.

In the case of an Orbx airport, for example, you set FTX Central to "Default", you delete one folder, two files and run an Orbx utility (which is installed on your system, not something you have to go get) after the deletions, which will automatically remove the scenery library entry.  No core files are touched.  For a region, there are a couple of additional file deletions.

It takes longer to describe than it takes to do, and it doesn't take long to describe.  This is an over-hyped issue following the whole FTXG thing, I'm afraid.

That's how the suck you in, they don't want you to uninstall any of their products (insert evil laugh here)

I have both ORBX and photoscenery and like both.

Yeah, I'm one of those few oddballs who likes both as well, though as a GA pilot I lean towards the Orbx side, as the flat thing really does bug me when I get down to airports, and I love Orbx' GA fields.

Scott

Orbx regions and ftxg modify autogen lookup tables. This can affect autogen from other addons. For example, I had orbx north America enabled and lost autogen in flytampa grenadines. Orbx comes with an FTX central application that changes which region you have enabled, ie default, north America, Europe, Oceania. It's set this way because each region uses unique autogen in unique ways, so they have to change the autogen and landclass tables. If you're not flying in an orbx region, change FTX central to default. This will change back to the default autogen lookup table. As long as you do this, you shouldnt have any issues with other addon autogen and I believe you can just delete the orbx folders and entries in the scenery library to uninstall, as long as FTX central is default. Not 100% sure if that's how you uninstall though

My concern comes from reading about what ORBX does with core FSX files in FTX Global and wondering if they are doing something similar with their other scenery.

Yes I think they are doing something similar(not sure though), but everything is backed up so it should not be any reasons to be concerned. I know Nick has scared alot of People with that bull.... , but really it's nothing to worry about. ^_^  I had to remove an airport once, don't remember how but it was pretty easy.

If I wanted to remove all of my Orbx stuff and lets say switch to GEX, it would also be pretty staightforward... 

Orbx stuff has never messed up anything with my FSX install, GEX on the other hand screw up for me bigtime! (So Nick should maybe mind he's own bizniss instead of bashing other devs with that crap)................

ttdocs and dcgator, those are the answers I was looking for, thanks. I realize that after I install any ORBX scenery I may not want to remove it....unless I have some computer issues......or the next best incredible scenery comes along. Look how many new weather engines we've gotten in the last couple of years. I just want to make sure that a reimage of the whole system is not the only way out.

Ted

A lot of fsx addons doesnt have an uninstaller and I think the reason why is because you simple have to just uncheck the airport or scenery from the scenery library and then delete. Its as easy as that.

When I hear people asking about an uninstaller I chuckle because once I install a scenery it stays on until I do a format and clean install of everything lol

And Orbx is not the only developer that changes files. I just install some sceneryTech land class and it also will modify the lookup file that everyone is talking about. I just uncheck and proceed

When I hear people asking about an uninstaller I chuckle because once I install a scenery it stays on until I do a format and clean install of everything lol

Well there are times that unistalling a scenery might be neccesery to fix up some issues(whithout having to reinstall everything).

I have a laugh the day when I hear that you uninstalled everything to fix an issue while you would only have to uninstall e.g lets say 1 airport scenery.. Those who laugh last laughs the best ^_^

Well there are times that unistalling a scenery might be neccesery to fix up some issues(whithout having to reinstall everything).

I have a laugh the day when I hear that you uninstalled everything to fix an issue while you would only have to uninstall e.g lets say 1 airport scenery.. Those who laugh last laughs the best ^_^

That will never happy my friend lol. Like I mentioned in another thread before I install any new addon I create a restore point just incase, so I can go back. The other day my system was working fine, then I install accu feel and then fsx would crash when I clicked fly now. Turns out that a dX dll was the problem. A simple restore and I was good to go again :lol:

I'm not saying an uninstaller is bad, its just not necessary with some of the addons especially scenery which can be easily removed from the scenery library

When asked how to uninstall ORBX are always happy to assist with getting you through the process.

Nothing evil about it.  There are countless topics on the ORBX forums from customers needing to uninstall for various reasons.

They are only too happy to help.

A simple restore and I was good to go again

You mean the windows restore function?

I'm not saying an uninstaller is bad, its just not necessary with some of the addons especially scenery which can be easily removed from the scenery library

Me neither, and I don't see a problem with not having it, but I don't chuckle  at people who want them, because not everyone is comfortable with manual deleting.(allthough everyone into FSX sooner or later have to dig into the sim, edit cfg files etc etc)

Ok. I have tried the restore function several times but FSX on my system have never liked it, it actually screws up my FSX setup so much that a reinstall is inevitable. :mellow: I will never use that function again trying to fix FSX. Now I rather try to find out what causing the issue and then manually delete(or use a uninstaller if available) for the addon that causes issues..

It's pretty easy to disable it. Faster than it takes to type this.

I'm considering getting ORBX PNW and some of their airports. After all the discussion about the release of FTX Global without an uninstaller I've got to ask: Do the ORBX PNW and ORBX airport software packs come with uninstallers?  I've done a search of this website and a google net search and could not find an answer.

Ted

It may be better for you to get the demo first.

Not sure if how many of my FSX addons (Orbx and Non Orbx) came with uninstallers. But yeah would be good if all addons came with uninstallers.

I have orbx PNW . I can easily enable/ disable the scenery via FTX central.  

Ok. I have tried the restore function several times but FSX on my system have never liked it, it actually screws up my FSX setup so much that a reinstall is inevitable. :mellow: I will never use that function again trying to fix FSX. Now I rather try to find out what causing the issue and then manually delete(or use a uninstaller if available) for the addon that causes issues..

Are you running windows 7? I'm using windows 8 and the restore function is supposedly better. I have FSX installed on the d drive and that is also included in the restore point along with the c drive which has windows. So far this feature has never failed me yet

Another thing I do is once windows is installed and activated with all the updates I create an image of the partition so if I have to reformat I can just re-image the hdd with windows and all updates