Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wolf20

Autoland flare

Every time I attempt an Autoland I get everything setup fine it seems until it kicks over to "LAND 3".

The aircraft flares to early and to shallow at about 30 FEET every time no matter how fast or slow I am going resulting in a slight bounces of my main gear and settling back down again, I have tried multiple fuel/payload options.

I am missing something, any suggestions? Thank you.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

What are you setting up your landing config at? Have you setup the landing init page properly? Are you using wx?

What are you setting up your landing config at? Have you setup the landing init page properly? Are you using wx?

Hmm I will look into that. Also what is wx? Sorry.

No problem. Weather. If so what program and what are your typical wind conditions versus the runway your landing on.

No problem. Weather. If so what program and what are your typical wind conditions versus the runway your landing on.

Oh I don't have a program for that. I am just practicing with pristine conditions. 0 wind, 100% visibility, etc. 

Ok, never seen this in testing so must be something in the setup influencing the landing.

Every time I attempt an Autoland I get everything setup fine it seems until it kicks over to "LAND 3".

The aircraft flares to early and to shallow at about 30 FEET every time no matter how fast or slow I am going resulting in a slight bounces of my main gear and settling back down again, I have tried multiple fuel/payload options.

I am missing something, any suggestions? Thank you.

I am also facing the same problem. whatever I do the plane bounces on autoland

A video would help so we can see exactly what you guys are talking about. Autoland is not supposed to be smooth. It is designed to be firm.

Could this be frame rates-related?

Low fps - FlyByWire - autotrim ...

well actually I am getting 30 to 35 FPS. so shouldn't be related at all to the frame rates.

maybe could be overload in fuel .. just a guess.

as for the FBW or autotrim what do you mean exactly is there anything from our side regarding these two things that we should configure ?

thank you

No nothing that needs to be configured regarding Trim or FBW. Once again, what are your expectations? Autoland is designed to be firm

(...)

as for the FBW or autotrim what do you mean exactly is there anything from our side regarding these two things that we should configure ?

thank you

Actually I wasn't thinking of configuration - I thought the FBW/autotrim might be calculated on a per-frame basis (one complete calculation cycle with each frame), so a FBW aircraft may be more vulnerable to low fps than a conventional one.

Well, looks like we can rule out the fps issue here ...

Hi. I also have the same problem. I've tried several times wit different weather/payloads but everytime it bounce. Any idea why?

Still trying to get to grips with the manual landings, which I am only beginning to nail, but I find that landing manually I get this to.   I will go and do a few autoland approaches and report on what happens.   I am now curious to :-)

Kind regards

Hi all

I get the very same behavior under the following conditions:

- landing config initialized in fmc, flaps out at 25

- mcp speed set at vref+5

- no wind in fsx or from other add-ons

- weight at landing: full pax, some cargo, fuel slightly in excess of the reserve limit

On landing, the plane touches while flaring, then slightly bounces then touches down again. I see smoke at wheel contact with the runway both times. As this is a saved flight the behavior can be repeated. Will give a try setting mcp speed at vref instead of vref+5 to see if something changes

Regards,

Aldo

Hi all

- weight at landing: full pax, some cargo, fuel slightly in excess of the reserve limit

On landing, the plane touches while flaring, then slightly bounces then touches down again. I see smoke at wheel contact with the runway both times. As this is a saved flight the behavior can be repeated. Will give a try setting mcp speed at vref instead of vref+5 to see if something changes

Regards,

Aldo

Hi try this with flaps 30 and with flaps 20 and see if there's a difference, autoland with flaps 25 are not approved by Boeing.

Autoland > Flaps Full (30),  Speed set to ~Vref+5 on MCP.  No bounce and VS less than 100 fpm nearly ever time.  Tricky part for me was

figuring out exactly how to "set up" / conduct an Autoland but I think I've got it now.  Seems there's a need to begin setting up farther

out than I've been accustomed (ie. MD11, NGX),  and must be below GS and established on the LOC before GS intercept (I haven't

tried the option that allows for GS descent prior to LOC) and in landing config prior to 1500'.  Need more practice with this before there's

a level of comfort ~:)  Also need more practice with "hands on" controls.

Best to all,

Ken

Tried with flaps 30 as kindly recommended by Bryan: no visible bounce now, yet just before touching down the airplane seems to start flying level off for awhile and then touches the runway in a stable way.

Much better than before, however.

Thanks a lot for the suggestion

Regards,

Aldo

Okay, ok... so: If i wanna do an autoland i have to use flaps 30 and if i wanna land manual, Flaps 25 is recommended? 

Hi all

Regards,

Aldo

Did you perhaps forget to arm the spoilers?  That might increase the likelyhood of bouncing

Andrew Jones

Flap 20 or 30 for Autoland. Any other flap config is not authorized.

weight at landing: full pax, some cargo, fuel slightly in excess of the reserve limit

That is not weight... what was the actual aircraft GW? 400,000 lbs? 600,000 lbs?

If you can give the load distribution as well, we can see if it is related to CoG (this affects autopilot/aircraft behavior). On touchdown the spoilers deploy, resulting in a pitch up. This could be the cause of the "bouncing" (it is in fact, the aircraft lifting off again).

Best regards,

Robin.

The actual weight was 500,800 lbs, see the FMC screenshot

In this test flight I noticed the small pitch up attitude again. Not a big problem however, now it's not bouncing !

Regards,

Aldo

Why auto-land ? it's so much funny to land this lovely bird by his hand :)

In this case just put noise up between 2° and 2,5° at 20ft above the runway.Best landing i ever do, i can't do better i think:

1v7o.png