Sign in to follow this  
barramundilure

Getting frustrated with this bird

Hi All

I hear all these wonderful and glowing reports of how well the 77 is.  Well it certainly isn't for me. Let me preface this by saying I currently have the J41 and NGX all working fine on my computer which is still a pretty decent set up and had the PMDG B744 and 737 in FS9 - so I am by no means a PMDG hater. 

I have an Australian ATPL and about 4000 hours and currently flying Emb 120.  I have a reasonable grip on the concepts involved although happy to admit no direct experience on the B777 although the B767 was used as the study aircraft when I got my ATPL.

I have read the manuals, FCTM etc yet encountered a few very annoying issues (read bugs mentioned in other posts) you may expect with a new product.OK

However today I decided ok, niggling issues hopefully gone, lets go flying.  Set up a flight from YPPH - NZAA - 2893NM. 62000kg fuel and a relatively light load 190.7K ZFW for a tow of a bit over 252000Kg

Went through the flows, checklists had Opus weather with a few thunderstorms and rain about but nothing too serious.  Taxi and Take off all good but on flap retraction the aircraft doesn't accelerate the way I would expect it to, in fact by the time I have flaps up the airspeed is falling away and we are heading towards a stall.  I take manual control disconnect the ap and at recycle the fd and reset but to no avail. 

The aircraft is wallowing around in the climb at 270-280kt above 10000 yet VNAV and LNAV engaged AT engaged and commanded speed is 320kt!

Engine is at 90% OAT is at near ISA.

Who exactly tested this aircraft?  Did none of these issues crop up for you? 

A lot of these niggly things are just that, niggly but I am definitely not the only one seeing some fairly major issues with the 777 and I don't think in this case its user error.

We have been told about this exhaustive testing regime, sorry but PMDG I don't see any evidence of it at this point in time.

Sincerely

Tim Carter

Regards

Barra

i7 7700K, 16GB 3200MHz DDR4, GTX1070 OC 8GB, 1TB Samsung SSD for OS and P3D4.4, W10 64Bit, Corsair H115i Water Cooling

Screen shot ;)

The only time I ever saw any behavior like that is when I Took off, hit LNAV/VNAV after takeoff and went to get a cup of water.

you will notice I didn't say I engaged the actual Autopilot CMD... I did that after I recovered from the unusual attitude and felt silly.

I flew 2 trans atlantic flights back to back on Vatsim and was heading over to India after a 1h:30min turn around. Single pilot ops for 20+ hours does wonders for sleep.

Not saying that's what happened for you, but I havn't seen that behavior in the 777 at all.

Hi All

I hear all these wonderful and glowing reports of how well the 77 is.  Well it certainly isn't for me. Let me preface this by saying I currently have the J41 and NGX all working fine on my computer which is still a pretty decent set up and had the PMDG B744 and 737 in FS9 - so I am by no means a PMDG hater. 

I have an Australian ATPL and about 4000 hours and currently flying Emb 120.  I have a reasonable grip on the concepts involved although happy to admit no direct experience on the B777 although the B767 was used as the study aircraft when I got my ATPL.

I have read the manuals, FCTM etc yet encountered a few very annoying issues (read bugs mentioned in other posts) you may expect with a new product.OK

However today I decided ok, niggling issues hopefully gone, lets go flying.  Set up a flight from YPPH - NZAA - 2893NM. 62000kg fuel and a relatively light load 190.7K ZFW for a tow of a bit over 252000Kg

Went through the flows, checklists had Opus weather with a few thunderstorms and rain about but nothing too serious.  Taxi and Take off all good but on flap retraction the aircraft doesn't accelerate the way I would expect it to, in fact by the time I have flaps up the airspeed is falling away and we are heading towards a stall.  I take manual control disconnect the ap and at recycle the fd and reset but to no avail. 

The aircraft is wallowing around in the climb at 270-280kt above 10000 yet VNAV and LNAV engaged AT engaged and commanded speed is 320kt!

A lot of these niggly things are just that, niggly but I am definitely not the only one seeing some fairly major issues with the 777 and I don't think in this case its user error.

We have been told about this exhaustive testing regime, sorry but PMDG I don't see any evidence of it at this point in time.

Sincerely

Tim Carter

I'm sorry, but you don't really have any authority to waltz in here telling PMDG you can't be the only one with major issues and that they left bugs unfixed. Obviously you are the only one with these issues since nobody else has reported them. I have no way tell if it's user error, but that would be my guess. Either that or possibly something in your hardware setup is causing the issue. I had to tweak my hardware settings a bit to work better with the 777. I understand you are frustrated, but telling the developer how they majorly messed up the plane when you are clearly the only one with major problems like what you described isn't going to get you anywhere either.

Dear Tim:

Thanks for your input.  I can say that inability to maintain vertical climb profiles are not common.  With near ISA temps and a ZFW of 252T the 777 is a STRONG performer.  There has to be something else at work.  Usually I would query FMAs etc., but with your "ATPL" I am trying to give you every benefit of the doubt.

At your convenience, please try again with NO FSX weather.

Let us know..... and we will try and assist as politely as possible.

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

I'm willing to bet you like many others didn't even bother to look through any documentation before flying your first flight. You are not entitled to support if you don't even look through the documentation. Your issue is pilot error. Come again after you read the manual. That's why it's called RTFM

Has it occurred to you that OPUS might be causing your issues? I've heard and seen several people having issues with it causing unrealistic wind speads, or erroneous outside temperatures both of which seem to be a possible cause of your reported issues. Just saying.

Hi Carl thank you for your civil reply. 

Sorry I didn't take a screenshot now to prove what I said but my rw experience is not made up and can prove it if needed. 

I totally expected some of the other bone headed comments out there in particular Adam. 

I have RTFM manuals, fctm at length over a number of months but did say I am no expert on the 777.  I did however pass flight planning and performance meteorology and many other subjects on the B767 while doing my ATPL.  Care to test your knowledge against mine Adam, take you on any day?

In the meantime I will try another one minus the Opus at some stage and get back to Carl once I have the results.

I am frustrated but at no point in time was rude in my post unlike Cory and  Adam.  Typical wannabees imo.

Cheers Carl

Regards

Tim Carter

Regards

Barra

i7 7700K, 16GB 3200MHz DDR4, GTX1070 OC 8GB, 1TB Samsung SSD for OS and P3D4.4, W10 64Bit, Corsair H115i Water Cooling

I have heard the same thing about opus having an issue.  I personally do not use that program, otherwise I would be willing to try some testing on my machine as well to see what I could figure out.  I remember a post in the past with the NGX having this issue as well, and guess what, opus was involved also.  Keep us posted on what you find!!

I'm sorry, but you don't really have any authority to waltz in here telling PMDG you can't be the only one with major issues and that they left bugs unfixed. Obviously you are the only one with these issues since nobody else has reported them. I have no way tell if it's user error, but that would be my guess. Either that or possibly something in your hardware setup is causing the issue. I had to tweak my hardware settings a bit to work better with the 777. I understand you are frustrated, but telling the developer how they majorly messed up the plane when you are clearly the only one with major problems like what you described isn't going to get you anywhere either.

I'm so disappointed with your response. If he has an issue with the 777 then he does. If he is frustrated then so be it. GO TO THE CORNER! :)

I'm not sure how you think that is not rude right there, but okay...

Again, like I said before, it's normal to be frustrated with major problems like this, but taking all that and blaming it all on the developer is not the best way to handle it. Just my 2 cents...

Hi Carl thank you for your civil reply. 

Sorry I didn't take a screenshot now to prove what I said but my rw experience is not made up and can prove it if needed. 

I totally expected some of the other bone headed comments out there in particular Adam. 

I have RTFM manuals, fctm at length over a number of months but did say I am no expert on the 777.  I did however pass flight planning and performance meteorology and many other subjects on the B767 while doing my ATPL.  Care to test your knowledge against mine Adam, take you on any day?

In the meantime I will try another one minus the Opus at some stage and get back to Carl once I have the results.

I am frustrated but at no point in time was rude in my post unlike Cory and  Adam.  Typical wannabees imo.

Cheers Carl

Regards

Tim Carter

I would love to have a battle of aviation knowledge with you. CLEARLY you are not flying it correctly if you are retracting the flaps and then approaching a stall. It is CLEARLY stated in the FCTM that  on the display at flaps 5 you retract to flaps 1. Obviously the dozens of RW 777 pilots and Engineers must not know what they are doing. Ask yourself who really is the wannabe. Any 767 pilot surely could handle the 777 better then what you stated in your post.

Oh Lord...the chests are getting puffed and the alpha males are arriving at the lek ready for battle...

Meanwhile, please try a flight without OPUS...I've had issues with incorrect outside air temps (way too high), strange wind shifts, and annoying cloud popping (I know...irrelevant) with this program, which I did buy and have pounded the support forum in order to configure it properly. For tubeliners at altitude, I'm sticking with ActiveSky all the time.

I mention this because when I've observed Opus injecting ridiculously high outside temps, of course the 777's engines will wallow. Hope this helps and that you're able to track down the issue. Good luck!

Wayne Klockner
United Virtual

BetaTeamB.png

Hey Adam

You clearly don't read too well.  Passed the flaps 5 retraction speed retracted to flaps 1 passing flaps 1 speed retracted flaps completely.  That's when the aircraft decelerated as I said in my initial post.

Suggest you rack off and let people who know what they are talking about handle this.

It may very well prove to be an opus issue but when you work flying for a living come back to me and will will have that pop quiz

You are a plonker.

Regards

Barra

Tim, what are your Opus settings. Check to make sure all weather settings are default. Tick any Auto options as well. Most important, Opus released a new beta today that should help, and has PMDG weather uplink available as well.

Cheers

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Hi All

Sincerely

Tim Carter

Hey Adam

You clearly don't read too well.  Passed the flaps 5 retraction speed retracted to flaps 1 passing flaps 1 speed retracted flaps completely.  That's when the aircraft decelerated as I said in my initial post.

Suggest you rack off and let people who know what they are talking about handle this.

It may very well prove to be an opus issue but when you work flying for a living come back to me and will will have that pop quiz

You are a plonker.

Doesn't look like you did say that at all. However I have visited 3 continents without incident, you are yet to fly a successful flight.