Sign in to follow this  
Crostino75

steering

Hi to all!

Can someone explain to me what's the best way to simulate the steering tiller?

In particular way, my target it's, if possible, simulalate the max 737' steering angle, about 70°.

Actually I have a rudder pedal system and one joystick with Z axis; via FSUIPC, the rudder pedal system comands the rudder value, while the joystick z axis comands the tiller value.

To steering I use the tiller (so the joystick) but seem that our 737 is not able to turn with an angle of 70° (and it's not about this value).

Can you help me?

Thanks in advance; regards

Emanuele

What about purchasing a set of rudder pedals, but taking off the pedals so you're left with the axis that turns - then attach a handle to the area(s) where the rudder pedals once were, and...voila, a make-shift tiller!? 

As writed, i've already setted rudder value and tiller value via FSUPC

but my 737 don't seems works properly and i'm not able, for example, to make a back track correctly without go outside the runway. 

No one can help me?

You can increase the maximum nose wheel steering angle to the correct value by editing the aircraft.cfg file. This makes low speed taxiing much more realistic.

ki9cAAb.jpg

Been trying to find the parameter in aircraft.cfg the controls the nose wheel steering angle in the PMDG 737NGX, but can't seem to find it.  Can you tell me which parameter to edit ?

Dave Hinson

Kevinh covered this in a post entitled "Ground Handling Improvements", but as I can't figure out how to quote, here it is cut and pasted.....

Recently I've been flying to smaller airports which have limited taxiways and rely on taxiing on the runway to the end, making a 180 deg turn and lining up for takeoff, or backtracking after landing. I've found the NGX has difficulty in making a 180 deg turn on a standard width runway without putting a wheel on the grass. You can just make it by keeping speed very low and beginning on the extreme edge of the runway. It shouldn't be that much of a problem for a 737, even a 747 can manage it. So I did a little research and found the maximum nosewheel steering angle for all models is 78 degrees. In the aircraft.cfg files the steering limit is set at 60 deg. I increased the value to 78 and found the low speed turning circle to be much more realistic. You still have to take care, but the turning radius feels and looks more realistic.Anyone interested in trying the mod, open the aircraft.cfg file in notepad and search for "contact_points". The next line (beginning "point.0") contains the data for the nosewheel. The eighth number in the row is 60.0, change this to 78.0 and save the file (make sure windows doesn't automatically add a .txt extension to the file name). It's a simple change, but backup the original file in case.before:point.0=1, 26.230, 0.000, -8.191, 1100, 0, 1.125, 60.0, 0.714, 1.31, 0.725, 8.0, 7.5, 0, 245.0, 335.0after:point.0=1, 26.230, 0.000, -8.191, 1100, 0, 1.125, 78.0, 0.714, 1.31, 0.725, 8.0, 7.5, 0, 245.0, 335.0You'll need to repeat this for each NGX version.I had hoped this might improve pushback too, but that doesn't even get close to the original 60 deg maximum nosewheel angle so increasing the limit has no effect.

Edited by kevinh, 27 January 2012 - 01:15 PM.

Kevin O'Connell

Kevin O'Connell

Thank you, Haddock and kevinh, for this information.  I will try it soon and report back.

Dave Hinson

Just tried that Dave, and it works a treat. What astounds me is how Kevin figured out those parameters in the first place!

Kevin O'Connell

Kevin O'Connell

Just tried that Dave, and it works a treat. What astounds me is how Kevin figured out those parameters in the first place!

Kevin O'Connell

I can't claim any credit for it. I remembered a post in a forum about improving the steering in a 727 add-on. That was even worse, steering angle was set at only 40!

I'm more impressed by your forum search digging up my old post.

ki9cAAb.jpg

I have never use FSUIPC to control anything, I calibrate my controls in FSX, works perfectly fine!.  For tiller....

a small steering wheel... with ailerons assigned and autorudder on... the small button on the top to turn autorudder on and off. I turn it off when I'm aligned in the runway for takeoff. :)  turn it on  upon landing, works like a charm!

20130428_191054_zps0d21c001.jpg

a small steering wheel...

That is what I use to!

Buy a cheap, small steering wheel to use for steering tiller, like Ferrari Challenge Racing Wheel PC PS3 which is self centering! (very useful)

It is a very small wheel and it works great for me as a tiller and is a cheap solution !!

Robert