Sign in to follow this  
CordoganAir

FSX ATC assigns less than favorable runway for takeoff/landing

I was landing w/ the PMDG 777 at KARR which has a rw 9/27 of 6500' and a 15/33 of 5500' wind was 340@5kts and even though the wind favored rw33 ATC should have given me rw27 for landing because of the empty weight of the airplane. The same situation occurred for takeoff where that extra 1000' of runway becomes even more critical. Is there any way to fix this using ADE? And before anyone tries to get technical, yes I know these runways are both too short for approved 777 operation. Thanks.

The solution is to not use default ATC.

It's awful, unrealistic, and a waste of time.

If you're serious about flying offline, choosing a 3rd party ATC program is what you want.

If you don't want to spend money, then flying online over Vatsim/IVAO is the only other option.

@ajpongress Thanks for the reply but I guess I should have made my question a little more specific: Within the FSX default ATC, what would be the best situation for my problem? Would setting 33/15 and 9/27 up as crosswind runways work? Or at least give me the option to choose which runway I would like to take off from. Any suggestions aside from just ignoring or not using FSX default ATC will be much appreciated.

Fsx ATC doesn't know the weight of your airplane.

It's a basic ATC that was never designed to be customizable or intelligent.

If you choose to continue using it, you will have to put up with the issues you see now because its really that bad.

You're asking for a solution that, afaik, doesn't exist.

Other ATC addons primarily assign runways according to AI traffic landings. Only solution is to look for an option to request a runway, different from the one assigned on contact. Not sure about FSX ATC but VoxATC, PFE and RadarContact all offer this option.

I request a different approach if ATC doesn't give me the one I want.

The option to request a different approach should be available before your final descend/intercept ILS order from ATC, sometimes sooner depending on where you're flying.

ProATCX has the ability to open up the airport in question and select which runways are used for takeoff/landing.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

In real life if the wind is under 5kt there is not much impact on take off or landing.

I remember in real life contacting ATC for a landing, the ATIS was giving runway 30 open and I was coming the other side.

There was no one in the patern and ATC specificaly states that wind was under 5Kt, I ask (well my instructor suggest I ask) if I can use runway 12 instead to have a direct approach and ATC confirm I could do it.

So in your case if the wind is just at 5Kt ATC may have decided to keep the other runway as active (maybe because the wind change or because it is the preferentuial runway) maybe FSX ATC is not that crapy !

I have been out of the game for awhile, but what about radar contact.I LOVE it for fs 9.I don't even have fs x yet becasue of my com.I am trying to put the $ together for my super rig, but for now it's fs 9 w/no sound!:-(As far as x wind landing go I hear ya on fs ATC what a joke, but in real life x wind landings of up to 15kts is not uncommon depending on traffic con and weather.

Interesting thoughts on all the different add on ATC software, I would love to hear more opinions/options about those. As to the original question, I was able to solve it by using ADE9x and the simple crosswind setup tutorial found here:

http://www.scruffyduck.org.uk/filemanager/accion.php?PHPSESSID=0776cd39effbd436ee4a86417eb6cd29&dir=.%2FTutorials%2FAirport%20Design&cal=Xwind%20Runway%20tutorial.zip&accion=descargar&modo=descargar

This now allows me to select which runway I both takeoff and land at when dealing with FSX ATC. This also helps traffic flow at the airport, so it's a double win. 

ProATCX has the ability to open up the airport in question and select which runways are used for takeoff/landing.

Best regards,

Jim

Hi Jim

Please give me your honest straight-from-the-hip appraisals/recommendations of a not-too-costly ATC That betters the default FSX one. I've read in past threads, some opting for VoxATC, others for RadarContact, et al. Thanks

Hi Jim

Please give me your honest straight-from-the-hip appraisals/recommendations of a not-too-costly ATC That betters the default FSX one. I've read in past threads, some opting for VoxATC, others for RadarContact, et al. Thanks

Exactly! I can't make up my mind between those two (using them alternately).

Hi Jim

Hi Rick,

Straight from the hip I would not recommend any one of them.  I do like some of the features in ProATC-X but IMHO it is still not a finished product.  For instance, the default can "see" AI on the runway and in the air... ProATC-X cannot for the most part and I think that's where they are running into problems as I understand they would have to get into the FSX code to allow that to happen (and getting into the code is not going to happen). ProATC-X does see some AI aircraft incoming and sometimes when you arrive at the departure runway (they'll tell you that you are 3d in line for departure) but most of the time it does not. The only realistic ATC is the on-line stuff but it's not perfect either.  I can handle not seeing AI on the runways.  A couple of others cannot.  I had Radar Contact installed for several years but it is no longer being updated.  What I like about ProATC-X is the fact that you can have a co-pilot who manages frequencies, altitudes, and some other tasks.  I do not think it realistic that YOU, as the Pilot, the Captain of the Ship, etc., has to fly a huge airliner all by yourself.  I like the fact that you can give some of these tasks to your co-pilot and/or Flight Engineer.  ProATC-X is not cheap for many but it has a lot of nice features.  When I fly using ProATC-X, I'll use both the default and ProATC.  Most of the time I can hear the default asking the AI aircraft whether they see me or not.  The default is always good for background ATC too.  I definitely do not like it for takeoffs and landings. 

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hi Rick,

Straight from the hip I would not recommend any one of them.  I do like some of the features in ProATC-X but IMHO it is still not a finished product.  For instance, the default can "see" AI on the runway and in the air... ProATC-X cannot for the most part and I think that's where they are running into problems as I understand they would have to get into the FSX code to allow that to happen (and getting into the code is not going to happen). ProATC-X does see some AI aircraft incoming and sometimes when you arrive at the departure runway (they'll tell you that you are 3d in line for departure) but most of the time it does not. The only realistic ATC is the on-line stuff but it's not perfect either.  I can handle not seeing AI on the runways.  A couple of others cannot.  I had Radar Contact installed for several years but it is no longer being updated.  What I like about ProATC-X is the fact that you can have a co-pilot who manages frequencies, altitudes, and some other tasks.  I do not think it realistic that YOU, as the Pilot, the Captain of the Ship, etc., has to fly a huge airliner all by yourself.  I like the fact that you can give some of these tasks to your co-pilot and/or Flight Engineer.  ProATC-X is not cheap for many but it has a lot of nice features.  When I fly using ProATC-X, I'll use both the default and ProATC.  Most of the time I can hear the default asking the AI aircraft whether they see me or not.  The default is always good for background ATC too.  I definitely do not like it for takeoffs and landings. 

Best regards,

Jim

Hi Jim

Thanks for that reply, on a night that has taken the gilt-edge of my flying tonight. First, the early evening news emanating from that Naval yard in DC, followed a couple of hours later that one of this Forum's noted posters and contributors, the late Steve Inwood, (R.I.P.) sadly, passed away this evening.

Will the upcoming FS2Crew add-on not take care of that? Seems like it's a case of mixing the default ATC with your choice. Not the perfect dish maybe. Maybe, we should wait for our hobby to be taken forwards just as the spate of aircraft are doing so.