Sign in to follow this  
flapsdown

Tubeliners: How much "hand flying" do you do?

For me it depends on the workload although do try for it as means I get more out of the sim. VATSIM usually means I use the AP a lot as need to focus on comms etc.

I recently asked a pilot at the end of a European flight when he disengaged the autopilot and landed it by hand because I wasn't sure either.

He said it was entirely up to him to decide, but usually it would be around 1500ft AGL so he had enough time to get a feel for the conditions before actually landing.

I realise the more I know, the more I have to learn, so speaking to real pilots whenever possible is always useful.

Hope this helps

I try to handfly as much as possible. But this can be awkward when need to pan around the cockpit to click things and use your mouse. I think as soon as I get TrackIR then handflying will become quite a bit easier for me. 

Currently I still try to fly manually as much as I can. Usually up the altitude restriction of the SID and I disengage the autopilot mostly at 1500 ft. 

Over the weekend started using FS2Crew voice and that actually lends itself to hand flying more as you are now the captain and pilot flying in a team rather than just being the solo person in the cockpit. Having a FO who can set the MCP and also run the procedures is awesome.

I just recently bought the Saitek Pro Flight Yoke and it has added a whole new level of immersion to the meaning of "going manual."  The A/P doesn't get switched on until 8000-10000ft AGL as commanding a fully loaded MD-11 or 777 with a yoke vs joystick just cannot compare.  On landings I knock autopilot off at the FAF, unless weather dictates otherwise.  I still haven't used autoland in the 777 yet and probably won't in the near future with my new baby.

Chris Sunseri

My 777 landings have gotten better with some practice and by keeping 'power on' longer.  Before I was landing pretty hard, I notice it drops more quickly when power is pulled back.  The MD-11 by comparison seemed to 'glide' a little more when power is pulled. 

I hand fly the entire way, especially on 14 hour flights.

To me it al depends on the activity of ATC around me on IVAO, if there is a lot of ATC I need to focus on them and will hit the AP earlier. But I fly some SIDs who don't allow the VNAV to be turned on so I have to fly it manually anyway. I do tend to keep AT on from start to finish, except of course for the last few hundred feet in the approach.