Sign in to follow this  
machie

Frustration with 777 memory issues

Anyway I am happy with using FSPX (great tool) for planning then EFB for SID/STAR (also a great tool) planning and export the route from PFPX to all places where I need it and then save the FP printout from PFPX as an PDF (PDFCreator, free tool). Then shutdown everything. If I need some tool during flight FSCommander works OK, mostly for checking the ILS in FMC/Rad Nav during appr. in case weather have changed and I must use another RW.

This VAS discussion is not on my level. I am a programmer/developer since 30+ years. But low level Windows mem management is not something I have working with or checked up a lot.

Maybe I am just running out of memory in general when I start EFB so there is no room for the VAS, I do not know!?

Mem works as it does on my machine and I have to live with that. Will not go and spend 10 000 Skr on new hardware just to be able to fly the T7. I do have a Win7 64

in my bookshelf and could install in on my machine. It passed all the Compatibility tests but I know my CPU is to weak and to little phys mem 4Gb. Better to save money

for a new machine and wait a year or two for Win7 to have some more fixes or SP. Some day I will have a Win7 64bit system. That is for sure, but nor right now just to

run T7 and lots of addons. When I fly the 777 it is the primary goal, scenery and stuff like that is at the bottom of the list and can go away.

I think I will try to create a little video to show that it is possible to fly T7 on WinXP 32bit with decent scenery and ok FPS.

/Per W

Sweden

Per W Sweden

With missing textures of the plane it could sound like OP is missing the Vista 32 UAautomationcore.dll in his root FSX folder. That dll has been a must have since PMDG 747.

Michael,

Can you point to a "guaranteed good and not hacked" download point for the uiautomationcore.dll you mention?  Googling that brings up all kinds of variants, and I'd hate to see someone get themselves into even worse trouble putting something onto their system that might be the wrong dll.

Thanks,

Steven

I have many nice third-party add-on programs which I run with my flight Sim program such as mega scenery 2.0 and Orbix scenery, and professional flight planner ask and radar contact and Rex and all the cool PMDG aircraft.

I'm surprised nobody else has keyed into your use of photoscenery here. The discussion in the PMDG docs and elsewhere on the forums points to the conclusion that active photoscenery, even in areas you're not flying over, eats up VAS. Try disabling your photoscenery and see what happens.

If you're using high def cloud textures from Rex, this can also be a memory-eater. I've concluded that anything over 1024x1024 is potentially problematic with relatively little visual quality gained.

Bottom line--you can't have it all in 4GB of VAS. Personally, given the type of profile that the 777 flies (large percentage of long flights at high altitude where the photoscenery isn't particularly effective), I'd start by disabling the photoscenery everywhere except in the vicinity of the departure and destination airports.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Thanks Bob,<br /><br />I just spent the last month and a half buying and installing the entire Mega Scenery Earth 2.0 Library--this is the most realistic scenery that I have ever used in over twenty years of Simulator flying---I flew a Citation Jet from Salt lake city to The San Francisco Bay Area (a flight that I have done in real life a number of times and the hair stood up on my arms during the Westward climb out ( it was so real--not perfect buy very very immersive)---I do not really understand Flight Sims Scenery very well--- and it was not until last night that I began to worry that the VAS was being affected by all the 1 Terra of scenery (kept on a separate disk)that I had installed. This conversation has educated me a great deal on the realities of the very real memory limitations of FSX.I did not realize that an advantage in VAS could be gained by disabling Scenery prior to a flight---in the past (20 plus years) I just loaded in my scenery as I bought it and then went flying----it is time form more experimenting!<br />

Wow, this is really sad to read. So many good ad ons out there, but some people cant use them all at the same time to enhance the flight experience due to the limitations of the fsx code.

You really have to wonder if the push for higher quality and realism is really beyond the capabilities of the fsx engine unless someone can come up with an idea outside the box.

At the moment I dont have memory issues, but having to decide either to fly and aeroplane over default scenery or a less complex aeroplane over third party more realistic scenery is a hard choice which not long ago was not an option which needed to be documented.

Interest times ahead!

Sent from my Mobile thing

Okay everybody here’s the latest.

I’m posting this on all the forms were asked my question so that everybody can see it.

After reading everything that everyone posted it appeared that scenery may have been the issue. I am presently flying United Airlines flight 664 a Boeing 777 from San Francisco California to Chicago O’Hare. I plan this flight using professional flight planner X and with the mega scenery 2.0 states of California, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Wyoming, Nebraska, Iowa, and Illinois in the Chicago area. I have been able to take off using the control data unit in the FMC and utilizing radar contact for my ATC. I have stopped the program for moment to write this note but it present I have been able to climb to my eastbound flight altitude of 33,000 feet and then passing over the center part of the Sierras about 50 miles or so south of Lake Tahoe. I have disabled all my other mega 2.0 scenery as well as scenery in Europe and Asia we will see if this aircraft gets to Chicago without incident I will check back with more information later.

At the moment I dont have memory issues, but having to decide either to fly and aeroplane over default scenery or a less complex aeroplane over third party more realistic scenery is a hard choice which not long ago was not an option which needed to be documented.

There's a bit more flexibility than only a binary choice between default or third party scenery--the OP's problems are more than likely due to the use of photoscenery, which is a different animal than texture replacement products like GEX, FTXG and FScene. The generic texture replacement products are a huge improvement over default, and use a fixed and fairly limited number of texture tiles, where the photoscenery uses a very large number of unique tiles. Apparently all the available textures are loaded when FSX starts, so more tiles means more VAS usage.

Cheers

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Ok Everybody---

I loaded only the mega 2.0 states that I needed on the flight KSFOKORD--I made it with no issues in the T7

The Problem was loading up all thge Mega 2.0 states at one time

Thanks for all the help

Dorn

With missing textures of the plane it could sound like OP is missing the Vista 32 UAautomationcore.dll in his root FSX folder

Think  you meant  the Highmenfix=1   fixes the missing  textures 

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg