Sign in to follow this  
flyinion

increasing FPS/performance especially in the VC?

So I recently picked up the NGX thinking I could run it decently on my aging i7-860 with a mild OC (usually a 3.3-3.9 variable with Speedstep still on).  I've tried pushing my OC further with HT turned off but capped at 3.7ghz due to my chip not being a good OC'er (cooling is good I'm using a Noctua NH-D14, it's the chip) but only gained a couple fps so it wasn't worth the hassle (or maybe it is and I'm underestimating?).  Anyway back to the NGX, so everywhere around FSX including even in FTX PNW I can fly with unlimited fps locked externally to 30 with NI and the following settings with default, some 3rd party freeware aircraft, and the QW Avro......... (traffic is 25 & 25, small amount of cars)

dMQ6z.jpg

However the NGX is a hugely different story.  It performed "ok" on the tutorial areas so far with FTX Global installed vs. default textures.  The VC will still drop to 18-22fps at times though.  Then I took it to FTX's PNW region.  OMG massive blurry ground textures everywhere.  After a long tweaking/testing session I finally managed to come up with the following...........

lGihn.jpg

Additionally this allowed locking internally at 25fps without getting the crazy fps drops that appear with internally locking when you're pushing settings too far still.  I had to lock internally or I would still get blurred textures on the ground.  Also traffic is down to about 4 and 4 with no cars/etc. at all.  No autogen is not bad once you get a bit of altitude.

However even with these tweaks which got rid of the blurry ground (I was actually getting 30fps with the original settings while in spot view, but with blurry textures) I still drop to 18-20 fps randomly in the cockpit.  Is there a suggested tweak that can improve VC performance a bit (or even allow back some autogen even if on sparse) with my hardware?  I should mention I don't see more than about 45% GPU usage while any of this is going on.  

I tried the "tuning" tool that has the 3 buttons for high vs. low res VC and actually couldn't see a difference other than the gauges one which looked horribly due to lumping multiple DU's into one screen and shutting the rest off.  I tried adjust the refresh rate in the FMC and no difference that I could tell in FPS.  I did try unchecking the high res VC box in the FSX settings and that did gain a few frames when I was trying to get rid of the blurry ground textures, but did nothing to reduce the CPU load and get rid of the blurry texture problem.  I'm just wondering if I'm missing a setting somewhere that might help.

AMD Ryzen 5950X |  Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK waterblock | Full Custom Loop Cooling | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo | Logitech Pro Flight Pedals | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro

Disable copilot's displays, reduce all displays fps, reduce VC texture & model resolution. That helped much to run it decently on my machine.

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

Thanks any suggestions for a refresh rate? I tried 8 at one point based on a search result and it didn't seem to help but that was also before I found the above settings. Maybe it'll give the edge now.

Sent from my 2013 Nexus 7 FHD using Tapatalk 4

AMD Ryzen 5950X |  Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK waterblock | Full Custom Loop Cooling | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo | Logitech Pro Flight Pedals | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro

I used to run the NGX on an i7-860 overclocked to 3.8ghz and it ran fine. I have recently done some testing on how to increase the framerates of FSX to improve them on my new system., however I am not an expert.

I have found the following information if it helps, but from what I have read, each system seems to react differently;

The settings on FSX display page makes little difference to frame rates, mayby a 2/3 frames depending on the airport. There are a few settings that make a big difference, traffic is a big factor so keep airline traffic to 20% as this not only helps in framerates but also in go arounds at the airport, I turn road traffic off as this helps a lot, you don't see them much and I feel that when you do they look stupid missing the roads and disappearing. The rest of the traffic I set on 15% but you could turn it off if not needed. Cloud draw distance makes a big difference, sometimes as much as 8 fps, the key is finding a setting that looks good and give reasonable frames.

When it comes to fsx configs, I read pages and pages of guides and found that they made little of no difference. The ones that are a must are;

[JOBSCHEDULAR]

AffinityMask=14

This one helps give and extra frame or so but more importantly for me, evens the stress on the CPU and keeps the temp a bit lower.

[Display]

WideViewApsect=True

Needed if you have a wide screen monitor

[GRAPHICS]

HIGHMEMFIX=1

This was missed out by ACES when they released SP2

[GRAPHICS]

TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=4096

This is for the NGX HD textures but you can try 1024 or 2048 and see what you think. It is basically a limit to tell FSX how high a texture to load.

[Main]

FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION= ???

This is the time that FSX uses to load and render scenery data. The standard is 0.33 and could be set lower if needed. It will give you a frame of two extra but be careful that it does not cause blurries.

All the rest I found made no difference on my system. I sure somebody will disagree as there are a lot of trolls on these forums putting people down for helping.

Don't lose faith as the NGX can run smooth on your system without having to turn off displays of lower the settings in the displays. I suggest starting with a clean install. Download FSXMark (available on AVSIM), follow the instructions and benchmark your system, try a tweak and benchmark again. Keep going until you get the best average fps and try the NGX again. Just remember that framerates are not everything, it's smooth running that counts.

Thanks guys, yeah I had tried all the tweaking guides.  On my system the original problem where I first really noticed performance problems was in OrbX PNW.  It was a total blur-fest at what were normally good settings for me on other aircraft.  After finding the settings that seemed to fix that as per my above pictures things are better.  I still can't run autogen in bigger areas without the 18-20fps in the VC when taking off for example.  I did just do a full reinstall (well started it) of my FSX installation last night though after wiping everything out since it was 3 1/2 years old and might have had some old junk in there causing issues.

Yeah if I could overclock to a solid 3.8 that might help.  The most my chip can get to stable is about 3.7.  I might try that out again to see what the difference is with the PMDG.  It wasn't big enough vs. my current. 3.3-3.9ghz variable OC (3.3 on all 4 cores active up to 3.9 when 3 cores shut off due to inactivity) previously but now it might be.  I definitely can't play with fftf.  With the orbx scenery already having blur issues with the default .33 (by not setting it at all) I definitely can't lower it.

So, textures = 4096?  I wasn't aware the 737 used those sizes.  It's not in the manual anywhere.  I used to use those in REX but went to 1024 without much difference.

Two quick suggestions: Change the level of detail to medium and don't run with autogen off (causes problems) put autogen to low or medium at the least.

Also, turn off the route showing in the right ND and just have it on nothing particular. Less work for the computer to do updating both NDs.

Lee

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

Two quick suggestions: Change the level of detail to medium and don't run with autogen off (causes problems) put autogen to low or medium at the least.

Also, turn off the route showing in the right ND and just have it on nothing particular. Less work for the computer to do updating both NDs.

Lee

Thanks, I'll try those out when I get it reinstalled.  Yeah I know AG off can cause problems that's why I was trying to run it at least on low. It was just enough of a performance hit to fps even on low to interfere with the internal locking to 25 and being able to hold that so I'd get spikes down low to like 15 or 16 at really painful airports like KSEA or even default YSSY with Orbx Australia SP4 running while in the VC heading down the runway for takeoff.  Maybe I should just live with those short fps drops for a minute or two.

I also find that with the NGX, coming into a very dense airport, that you can use the 2D cockpit for at least the final landing phase. That helps with FPS. Once landed, I go back to the VC. Taxiing you can live with FPS drops.

Lee

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

I run an Intel i73770  over clocked to 4.6GHZ and had similar issues. Also run Win 7, REX and ORBX.

1.  Try the following website to optimize config http://www.venetubo.com/fsx.html

2. You need to use something like Texture Max Load Editor  from Frosty Software to keep FSX config settings. Otherwise they all change back to standard.!!!

3. I use Nvidia Inspector to set up the graphics. Key is vsync on and lock fps at 30. (with a 60Hz monitor this works well)

4. The FPS limiter does not work well in FSX - Set this to unlimited and use external program (i.e. Nvidia Inspector to lock frame rates

5. Turn off co-pilots instruments

6. Set refresh rate of instruments down to 8 -15 fps. Does not make much difference to flying.

7. Road traffic at 16% a per PMDG

8. Well worth reading the PMDG introduction again (setting up FSX).  Need to stick to this.

On my PC this pushed frame rates back up to 30  with only minor drops in heavy weather and busy airports. 

If you are using more than one screen, just move your mouse indicater to the second ( = not VC monitor ) and see that the frame will also rise in numbers. Its a stupid FSX bug.

I also have a i7-860 running at 3,4 , HT on - Affinitymask = 84 , OC off , memory @ 1866, in config file: [bufferpools ] => usepools=0 and this boost my sysme enormous ( MSI GTX560ti ).

I can't maintain 20 FPS in every scenario with my setup. The AffinityMask, HighMemFix, and the WideViewAspect tweaks are the only modifications I have to my config file (trust me I've tried them all). I don't use a frame limiter and have NVIDIA inspector settings per NickN's suggestions. My sim is buttery smooth, even at frames in the lower 20's. It's well known that road traffic is a substancial hit on frames when low and slow near an airport (the time you need all the FPS you can get). Light bloom also has a large impact. My specs are posted. Best regards

Thanks guys, I've managed to try most of this.  I just finished my reinstall of FSX and need to do some final testing with the NGX.  Seems I'm still being limited by my CPU in graphics intense areas like ORBX PNW. If I don't run internally locked I still get massive blurries on the ground textures.

4. The FPS limiter does not work well in FSX - Set this to unlimited and use external program (i.e. Nvidia Inspector to lock frame rates

Where did you find this information??

Avsim hardware guide and Word Not Allowed say don't use external limiter!

The say use FSX internal limiter!

Quote Word Not Allowed: I found out (and got it recently confirmed) that external limiters cause blurries and more stutters.

The fact is that internal limiter is as smooth as FSX can get, if FSX achieves the limited FPS without a problem. If you combine this with the BP=0 tweak, you are going to get even better smoothness.

30 is not a magic bullet for everyone, although it’s probably the most used setting.

Setting higher FPS is a bad idea and should not be done, much same like running unlimited.

Robert

Where did you find this information??

Avsim hardware guide and Word Not Allowed say don't use external limiter!

The say use FSX internal limiter!

Quote Word Not Allowed: I found out (and got it recently confirmed) that external limiters cause blurries and more stutters.

The fact is that internal limiter is as smooth as FSX can get, if FSX achieves the limited FPS without a problem. If you combine this with the BP=0 tweak, you are going to get even better smoothness.

30 is not a magic bullet for everyone, although it’s probably the most used setting.

Setting higher FPS is a bad idea and should not be done, much same like running unlimited.

Robert

+1

Internal FPS works great also in DX10. I have NGX locked in EGLL at 30fps with roadtraffic at 11% , BP=0 , UTII at 25%, HD2048 textures, Dense Autogen and 28-30fps on takoff 09R (also at night). FTXGlobal and FTX England.

The T7 performance even better (15%)but not as smooth so i need to have it locked at 35fps

i7-4770k@4,7

HD7970 3GB

Raptor 300GB FSX 

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png