Sign in to follow this  
Pe11e

Simple tweak for better FPS in a complex plane

Well, 6fps is irrelevant!

If you went from 20 to 26 then it's great.

From 100 to 106 then it's not much.

So what was your fps before and after.

I have a top system, but itse easy to bring its knees so if I can gain 6 fps from say 20 to 26 then I'm all up for it.

I deliberately don't take he 737 or 777 to large payware airports but 6 fps more might change that.

Going to test it now.

-Iain Watson-

Before was around 20 - 22 ( VC view ), now is around 26+.

Also cockpit textures are loading much much faster, almost instantly.

VC smoothness is perfect.

Have to try, each computer is different, so results.

This is only "//", always can revert ..., no harm

Artur 

Sounds good!

PMDG designers must be rolling in their graves reading this!

-Iain Watson-

Sounds good!

PMDG designers must be rolling in their graves reading this!

LOL

I really don't understand why developers are sensitive about this topic. I bought the plane, so I have the right to paint it in pink with red spots and call it Pinky, if I want to. :lol:

That's why I'm suggesting one simple option, enable/disable complex external model. Is is that hard to add it?

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

Tested.....2600k at 4,6ghz, GTX 580

PMDG 737 Ryanair

KSEA RW 16C ( I have Orbx PNW running in Global Hybrid mode)

All GFX settings full..except AI 50% (My Traffic X)

FSGRW current real weather, 3 low cloud layers, overcast at 2500ft

Before tweak

9 fps

After tweak (// before model)

11 fps

So not much of a jump. So just for fun tried this

Weather theme clear skies

11 fps  (FSGRW has no FPS impact???)

AI traffic 0%

14 fps

Change water to High, scenery and autogen down to Normal (were max)

25f fps  (so there is a massive hit)

Set AI traffic to 50%

17 fps  (not sure why I gain 3 fps when switching from 100 to 0 % and loose 8 fps setting back to 50%, sometimes not restarting FSX inbetween can give funny results.

I was going to test at other less dense area but I can´t get above 30fps, I guess this is my 1/2 refresh rate setup in inspector and I am not mucking around with that.  Also seeing the hit I get with scenery and autogen, will turn that down a little too.  Only thing to do is check if it´s better with the 1/2 refresh tweak to leave FSX locked at 30 or unlimited.  Not tweaked for years, so that´s my yearly tweaking session done again!

So I think there are some fps to gain, but as the OP says, it is better for those with less powerfull setups.

Will test the 777 when I have time, but I can imagine I will leave the external model off even if it is only for 2 or 3 fps.

-Iain Watson-

You gained exactly 20% in NGX VC without external model, like in my case. It is noticable on higher fps, eg from 29 to 35.

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

In FSX, the VC and the exterior are separate models. If the exterior is not depicted - which is the case when you are in the cockpit - it cannot affect the framerate.

Although some things make the exterior not entirely independent :

- textures shared between the VC and the exterior - they are not discharged from memory, occupying more space in it. The best technique is not sharing textures between the VC and the exterior, although it can lead to a slower texture load on view switching.

- aircraft's shade on the ground - calculated from the external model. If the exterior is too complex - too many polygons, skinned animations - then even calculating the shade can affect your precious fps.

so you are right - by eliminating the exterior model you can gain some memory and some few fps.

@Pe11e : I wonder how many fps you will gain in the Q400 ?

banner_samdim_q400_nrw.png

Nice hint to us, model designers. Why would we bother making complex external models if the customer will replace them with default aircraft ? :)

Perhaps better its a hint that not all customers have top-end machines - and the inclusion of a nice low-poly exterior model together with the high-end model would be appreciated?

Cheers

Keith

Guest Q_flyer

Yes but Samdim, the Q400 is the best optimized aircraft ever released for FSX, so personally speaking, I wouldn't even consider removing the external model       - you guys did a phenomenal job with optimization on the MJC Q400.   :cool:

I too am seeing around 7 FPS increase when removing the external model from the 777, but it was only a temporary test. There are some models that I just would not consider removing.

But saying that, removing an external model, certainly isn't sacrilege or blasphemy.   Remembering that this is a simulator and if we compare it with a true CAA / FAA Level D simulator; that too has no external model! :lol:

...... it could be argued that the VC is where the simulation happens, and the external model is really just a gaming element.... (DUCKS!  :ph34r: )...  :lol:

Q.  - If a very high end complex simulation of a B787 (as an example) was released, that contained a 99% systems functional VC, but no external model at all, would you buy it?

A.  - I would.

High performance of the Q400 package proves that the visual model is very little responsible for framerate drop - unless it's unneedingly huge in poly count and texture lists

banner_samdim_q400_nrw.png

Which reminds me that you Majestic Sim folks should offer lessons for other devs on how to optimize framerate and memory impact.

I see e.g. Aerosoft also being able to produce airliners without too large footprints which, for itself, is a huge achievement. Although they pull some tricks affecting the detail (no real FO instruments, only on/off panel lights and so on) while the Q400 comes with the full pack of details and still doesn't oom, drag the framerate down or bugs my sim in any other way. Amazing! And a proof of concept and expertise. Way to go.

Sorry for the thread hijack. :blush:

For the NGX why lose the external model? Simply lower the settings under the performance options. For example I adjusted all mine from 15 to 7 and gained a 40% increase in frame rate at a complex airport. Then again, its about making compromises, so it's simply about reducing what works for each individual and suits your system.

Well each to there own.

When I fly I never leave the VC unless am doing SS of a flight to post up. But 99% of the time am fixed in the captains seat just like I would be IRL.

That's just me, Like I said each to there own.

So....I just tried this with my 777

Orbx CRM

Orbx KJAC Gate 8

I will let these speak for themselfs.

With Model

HhJV7.jpg

Without

2S6bu.jpg

looking out the side windows without model FPS went down to 36. I normaly lock FPS@30 , the 50 was just for these SS.

So for me it's a no brainer. I will take the extra head room all day long.

Thank you for this tip imo it's fantastic.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

For the NGX why lose the external model? Simply lower the settings under the performance options. For example I adjusted all mine from 15 to 7 and gained a 40% increase in frame rate at a complex airport. Then again, its about making compromises, so it's simply about reducing what works for each individual and suits your system.

First I did when I bought NGX is exactly that, but I reduced displays fps to 5 (except PFD which 10), and chose low cockpit model/resolution in perfomance manager. It wasn't good enough, still stutters and low fps.

Guest Q_flyer

Just to put something else on the table............. those of you who have experimented with removing the external model from some aicraft, may have noticed that when you look outside, some of the Effects still render.... eg, you can still see engine start smoke, touchdown smoke, and other custom effects.

So to further try out reducing your load when purely in the VC, you can rename (temporarily remove) some of these effects within the FSX / Effects directory (they're mostly easily identifiable by their name).