Sign in to follow this  
Jacoba

Boeing 777 Worldliner Professional vs PMDG 777

've been simming since the days of SubLogic... my first MSFS was version 5... owned everyone since then... I've used every windows platform since Win95, across more than 10 computers, many were custom built for FS.

All of them were buggy, never worked properly and CTD daily.

That was the date of my FSX Installation, I've been simming since MSFS Version 1 back in 84. I've simmed with over the years, FS1, FS2, FS3, FS4.0, FS5, FS5.1, FS95,  FS98, FS2000, FS2002, FS2004, FSX. Also I had FSII for the Commodore 64, Sublogic FA ATP, Sublogic Flight Lite, Siera Pro-Pilot  I and II, Flight Unlimited 1, 2 and 3, TRI's FLY and FLY II.

I have to say I've been lucky, I've never had a stability issue, with any of them!!!

Edit: Of course X-Plane 4, 5, 6,8, 9 and 10 (NA region only) - I missed XP7, don't remember why!!

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

I have more!!!!!!

Airline Simulator 2, Aerowinx PS1, ELITE v7, v8, v8.6, ETC Protrainner, Light Aircraft Simulator - LAS ( UK made ), RTS-Pro (the predecessor of ALSIM) ....

and XP7, 8, 9 and 10 !!!!

Those guy's at LMOC didn't accept me as a beta-tester :-(  and Austin will not let me have a look at XP 11 :-( 

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I've been simming since the days of SubLogic... my first MSFS was version 5... owned everyone since then... I've used every windows platform since Win95, across more than 10 computers, many were custom built for FS.

All of them were buggy, never worked properly and CTD daily... 

Why I switched to Mac... out of frustration with MS. 

The only sim I've never had trouble with was XP, then only on Mac OS...

It's a terrible feeling to set your FS up for a long haul flight for an over night trip say from LAX to London, only to awake to a CTD or BSOD... I honestly cannot recall ever completing a flight with MSFS longer than 3 or 4 hours without trouble of some kind. 

I've left iMac and XP9 running for 2.5 days straight, had the 747 set to fly around the world with unlimited fuel just to see if it could be done.

Had no trouble at all, including times I used the same iMac to surf the net for hours while XP did its thing in the background... 

This argument is a waste of time.

I ran FSX for years, with very good results. At the time, I purchased a new computer to run the newly released FSX & XP8. Except for a card crash, and replacement (don't remember which card), CTDs just didn't seem to exist.

IMO --- it's not even worthwhile to use CTDs as a constant excuse. Seems that many users have systems that seem to run the programs quite well these days.

As to the installation of FSX and XP-10 (at their best) --- you had better be a computer genius and keep up with these forums every day. Otherwise, you'll be lost! I read these forums daily, for all of the changes, additions, etc. Will I ever remember........should I do a new install on a new computer? Of course I won't even start to remember. It will all have to be cataloged, as well as a lot of forum searches for answers. That equally applies to either sim. Would probably take days, before a first flight...

What I find very, very peculiar is that on this X-Plane forum, every other post talks about other flight simulators. Now you may say: it's understandable, after all they're concurrent products and comparisons are legit.

And yet, I guess on Fly! forum, Rise Of Flight forum, Prepar3d forum, Aerofly forum, Flight Unlimited forum, ProPilot forum, FlightGear forum, 99% of posts talk respectively about Fly!, Rise Of Flight, Prepar3d, Aerofly, Flight Unlimited, ProPilot, FlightGear.

And then they say X-Plane community is hostile... Try mentioning X-Plane in every other post at the FSX or Prepar3d forum, and see what would happen!

• Upvote 1

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

What I even find more peculiar is usually the other flight sim or even in this case operating system is usually brought up first by a sole user of xplane/Mac/Linux. Then when those who are users of all simulators/ operating systems take exception with what is usually stated as a fact e.g. "Windows/FSX constantly crashes" or the usual mantras these same people get uncomfortable. Very strange indeed.

• Upvote 1

On that I agree Geofa :) Still I find annoying that other flight simulators are mentioned and discussed basically no less than X-Plane itself, in a X-Plane forum, especially considering that this does not happen in any other specific forum.

EDIT: to the OP, I'm not referring to this thread in particular, the request for info and comparisons between PMDG 777 and FF 777 I find perfectly normal.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

FSX is flying on rails, FSX and Windows crash, FSX is dead, FSX is 32 bit only...

Do you need more reasons to make FSX users speak up? But why are they here: Easy one, because they use XP too.

FSX is flying on rails, FSX and Windows crash, FSX is dead, FSX is 32 bit only...

Do you need more reasons to make FSX users speak up? But why are they here: Easy one, because they use XP too.

I never said it's only FSX users fault. Even X-Plane users continually mentioning FSX are to blame.

I never said it's only FSX users fault. Even X-Plane users continually mentioning FSX are to blame.

Point taken. This thread was about a comparism so it should be legal. But it many others I'd say it's a bad habit. :-)

It's my pet peeve. The ability to put fsx down to make XPX look good. XPX stands on its own, and needs no comparisons to improve its feature set. Threads like this one are interesting though and for the record I've had crashes with fsx, p3d, XPX and dcs. So that tells you everything. Lol

• Upvote 1

You forgot one....

X-Plane has superior flight dynamics. Austin has even said so! It's been his slogan since the beginning.

Actually, that's one of the reasons that both names will always be brought up in these forums. It's a lot of direct competition. Developers on both sides, will always try to provide those superior flight dynamics, we hear about. As far as I'm concerned, the flight dynamic thing, is the major tick off point for me. There is no way, that anybody can say that any of these sims just has the best flight dynamics. There are too many planes, too many developers, and too many experience levels, to just use blanket statements such as these. I see great possiblities on both sides.

• Upvote 1

I thoroughly enjoy the PMDG 777, and I have never tried the other one.  I tried the X Plane demo for 2 hours and then deleted it.  Everything is completely different.  The key commands especially.

I said it before, and I'll say it again: Laminar could bring so many more people over to X Plane if they added some commonality to FSX.  Having to relearn hundreds of brand new assignments and key commands is not enjoyable to me...and I'm sure that I'm not alone.

I thoroughly enjoy the PMDG 777, and I have never tried the other one.  I tried the X Plane demo for 2 hours and then deleted it.  Everything is completely different.  The key commands especially.

I said it before, and I'll say it again: Laminar could bring so many more people over to X Plane if they added some commonality to FSX.  Having to relearn hundreds of brand new assignments and key commands is not enjoyable to me...and I'm sure that I'm not alone.

it took me a few minutes to learn the xp10 key commands :lol:

• Upvote 1

X-Plane has superior flight dynamics than FSX at least for helicopters.

EDIT: and of course for thust vectoring or composite vehicles (e.g. autogyros).

it took me a few minutes to learn the xp10 key commands :lol:

I did not have the motivation to learn them.  I am satisfied with FSX for the time being.