Sign in to follow this  
Joachim

OOM - VAS - An application/method to display memory usage for each add-on?

Hello readers :)

So sure, I could delete my FSX and start over to clean up my add-ons, scenery and more but I was wondering if there is another way to solve my problem of "too little VAS" causing regular OOM (Out of Memory) errors now.

I have been reducing my settings (radius, texture-load, scenery all off) to increase VAS availability to FSX but without real success. I notice minimal improvements, and while yes, all those things reduce memory load, there is some culprit in my add-ons because I have only started having this problem recently and so far have not been able to find out what add-on this is. I start FSX and notice that FSUIPC is showing me 3GB left, shortly after 2GB and then I load a payware aircraft, let's say 737 NGX; some drop is normal here with the PMDG, then I have about 1,7 GB left and soon 1GB by just making myself dizzy in the spot view.... So if I were to start a flight, i would be starting with only 1GB left... this only start happening recently. With only 1GB left I would see the FSX ran out of memory error and have been.

So I was wondering how I could find out how much memory each add-ons are using, is there a tool to display this? This would also be interesting to try and manage the limitations. I have also tried to regain some space by disabling some add-ons in the dll.xml but not much difference, I expect some add-on is not using memory correctly. Is there a table of reference? Some information already published that you are aware of?

Thanks for any and all replies! Always much appreciated!

Greetings,

Joe

Joachim (Joe)

Joe,

starting a flight with a VAS usage of 3.0 GB (1 GB free) can be pretty normal, depending on aircraft, weather and (addon) airport.

The question is why do you reach the 4 GB limit so easily? (Pls. note that, after departure from your addon airport, some amount of that 3 GB VAS will be freed again.)

- Is there a lot of view-switching involved?

- Dusk or dawn settings? (higher texture load)

- Sceneries with memory leaks?

- Arrivals into areas with dense autogen (an ORBX region and autogen slider higher than 'normal')?

Pls. fill us in ...   B)

When you start your descend, stop using spot view, wing view, tower view, etc... Stay on the cockpit view and just use your hat switch to move around (or TrackIR if you havde one). Inside the VC view (assuming you have PMDG planes) avoid clicking and opening other window like CD, PFD, ND. Prep your arrival, switches, etc..before you hit the area when the airport scenery starts rendering. If you have another monitor, you can open this VAS tool, you can see exactly what your FSX is running as the VAS number increasing as you get close to this high end add-on airport.

Be advised, Vancouver (FSDT), OMDB (Fly Tampa) and KLAX (FSDT) are killers...

The highest I got to my VAS and completed a flight was 3.786 landing in Vancouver FSDT.

Lower your AI, texture 1024, avoid HD clouds if using REX (they all look the same to me), disable all scenery addons on the library..only enable what you are flying (LAX to CYVR etc...) and avoid texture that are high dense..use normal or sparse. 

Kin M.

(Klax)

I haven't tried it, but this tutorial looks good: It uses VMMap from sysinternals to trace memory allocation to a particular DLL:

http://blog.dopus.com/2010/11/new-guide-how-to-find-components.html

Very interesing, I am going to give this a try! Thank you... just what I had in mind.

Joe,

starting a flight with a VAS usage of 3.0 GB (1 GB free) can be pretty normal, depending on aircraft, weather and (addon) airport.

The question is why do you reach the 4 GB limit so easily? (Pls. note that, after departure from your addon airport, some amount of that 3 GB VAS will be freed again.)

- Is there a lot of view-switching involved?

- Dusk or dawn settings? (higher texture load)

- Sceneries with memory leaks?

- Arrivals into areas with dense autogen (an ORBX region and autogen slider higher than 'normal')?

Pls. fill us in ...   B)

"sceneries with memory leaks" is what I am after, but I disabled all add-on scenery... so I am more after memory usage in add-ons.

When you start your descend, stop using spot view, wing view, tower view, etc... Stay on the cockpit view and just use your hat switch to move around (or TrackIR if you havde one). Inside the VC view (assuming you have PMDG planes) avoid clicking and opening other window like CD, PFD, ND. Prep your arrival, switches, etc..before you hit the area when the airport scenery starts rendering. If you have another monitor, you can open this VAS tool, you can see exactly what your FSX is running as the VAS number increasing as you get close to this high end add-on airport.

Be advised, Vancouver (FSDT), OMDB (Fly Tampa) and KLAX (FSDT) are killers...

The highest I got to my VAS and completed a flight was 3.786 landing in Vancouver FSDT.

Lower your AI, texture 1024, avoid HD clouds if using REX (they all look the same to me), disable all scenery addons on the library..only enable what you are flying (LAX to CYVR etc...) and avoid texture that are high dense..use normal or sparse. 

Kin M.

(Klax)

I have lowered some more settings but I am experiencing quick rapid memory loss, I expect some add-on using too much memory. My tweaks are not helping much; even with 4.5 Radius, 1024 MAX_TEXTURE_LOAD, and lowering scenery detail settings... all this helps reduce VAS but right now something is not normal, I am running out of VAS even after just starting at the gate. This is new.

Thanks for the help guys!

Joachim (Joe)

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "MS FSX Forum" to "Crash To Desktop (CTD) Forum". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.