Sign in to follow this  
captain420

How come there's no trial mode for PFPX?

Heh.That comment of mine you responded to is about 2 1/2 months old. I have used pfpx for quite awhile now.

Haha. Oops. I'll blame it on whoever revived this old theead. Let me at 'em!

Alright then, so have you have any experience with simbrief?

I had a quick look but never took to it.

Not sure I like the idea that simbrief puts me at FL340 when there's a known headwind to be 130kts at TOC when its clearly 105kts at FL380 for much of that part of the flight; but as the flight gets on the winds from FL340-380 are comparatably the same IMO it should have done one of the two things:

Told me that winds are not favorable at FL340 and I should climb to FL380 becasue the a/c is capable or B it should have said to stay at FL380 period. So I don't know if PFPX is better at this or not? This is where I'd like to see a trial, its annoying that there isn't one.

It is. PFPX includes its own weather data so when you plan your flight it takes the winds into consideration. It also includes step climbs depending on distance, weight etc.

I decided to buy it because a friend who is very knowledgeable about FS said it was the best planner he'd seen. The big discount also helped. I don't use phrases like 'no-brainer' and suggesting the price is a bargain. It's neither. All you need to do is read PFPX threads and it should be clear if it's a decent product or not. Price depends on income and not everyone can afford to spend $50 unless they're sure it's for them.

If the price hadn't dropped I'm not sure if I would have spent so much on planning software as I already have vRoute. But for $38 I decided it was worth a punt. I haven't been disappointed. :smile:

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Ray, 

You can only read so much, people will say one thing and people will say another the BEST way to do it is see for yourself; this isn't always possible.  

Simbrief gets current weather, step climbs and weights if you do it right of course. So I'm still not sure that PFPX is still the best way to go or stick with simbrief (I haven't got PFPX because one of the merchants I tried to use via paypal wouldn't activate a certain form of payment so I used a different merchant they don't have PFPX) the revolving account I have gives me no interest on purchases over $99 which I'm taking advantage of. 

I just use Simbrief, its free http://www.simbrief.com/system/dispatch.php

This software should not be free, but it is and strangely enough that turns people off to the point they wont even try it. It even uses Navigraph and has all the features you need free. I didnt buy PFPX even at $38 , the state of confusion on the forums with strange flight plans and flight levels put me off it though and Im not sure it does anymore than the stuff below

Simbrief

Detailed Navlog: ETOPS Planning: Plan Stepclimbs: Include NOTAMS: FIR NOTAMS: Detailed Maps:     AIRAC: 1113 Update

ZORAN

This software should not be free, but it is and strangely enough that turns people off to the point they wont even try it. It even uses Navigraph and has all the features you need free. I didnt buy PFPX even at $38 , the state of confusion on the forums with strange flight plans and flight levels put me off it though and Im not sure it does anymore than the stuff below

Simbrief

Detailed Navlog: ETOPS Planning: Plan Stepclimbs: Include NOTAMS: FIR NOTAMS: Detailed Maps:     AIRAC: 1113 Update

That's basically the point I made; one thing that simbrief doesn't do that PFPX does is that it connects to the sim giving you a moving map I think but you can do that with any other freeware addon that will do just that. 

EFASS is a newly recent flight planner similar to PFPX but I don't like their maps to be honest; what I still don't know is... can PFPX connect to FSX and change the a/c weights/fuel? 

. "can PFPX connect to FSX and change the a/c weights/fuel? "

If your talking the heavies, you wont need it as the fuel and weight has to be entered in the FMC and I dont think its suited for light aircraft? maybe some one can clarify

ZORAN

. "can PFPX connect to FSX and change the a/c weights/fuel? "

If your talking the heavies, you wont need it as the fuel and weight has to be entered in the FMC and I dont think its suited for light aircraft? maybe some one can clarify

the FMC can't update your fuel/weights on the plane itself; you're just telling the computer how much your plane weighs and how much FOB it has; I was hoping that the PFPX could streamline that process but you'd still have to tell your FMC otherwise. 

You can only read so much, people will say one thing and people will say another the BEST way to do it is see for yourself; this isn't always possible.

I searched for reviews and could only find 2 German ones but they do get the Editor's Choice so that might help you.

Simbrief gets current weather, step climbs and weights if you do it right of course. So I'm still not sure that PFPX is still the best way to go or stick with simbrief (I haven't got PFPX because one of the merchants I tried to use via paypal wouldn't activate a certain form of payment so I used a different merchant they don't have PFPX) the revolving account I have gives me no interest on purchases over $99 which I'm taking advantage of.

You haven't been specific about which aircraft you fly. PFPX does have templates for most Boeing, Airbus and MD-11. if you tell me what you fly I can see if there's a template for it. That makes fuel burn calculations very accurate.

I have switched to buying a lot of software from PC Aviator as I don't pay tax. That makes some things a bargain.

Regarding your question about loading the payload in FSX I do it manually but if you also buy TopCat it does it for you. Randomising the payload is another nice feature.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

You haven't been specific about which aircraft you fly. PFPX does have templates for most Boeing, Airbus and MD-11. if you tell me what you fly I can see if there's a template for it. That makes fuel burn calculations very accurate.

I fly a little bit of everything; mostly freeware when it comes to the big heavies; I'm not into the systems simulation so I haven't found any payware (other than maybe CLS) for the 767 and the A330/340 

I'll fly things like the RJ, 737, 757 whatever suits my fancy 

I saw someone mention that there was a profile even for the A2A Cessna 172 (which I don't have yet, but I got the Carenado 172 though) 

have switched to buying a lot of software from PC Aviator as I don't pay tax. That makes some things a bargain.

I don't pay taxes from anywhere as long as I don't ship anything to a state that collects tax so buying from simmarket has always been cheaper until now (I got a few things cheaper at PC Aviator, and I wished I had bought most of my stuff there instead of at fspilotshop.com but I am happy with my purchases nonetheless). 

Regarding your question about loading the payload in FSX I do it manually but if you also buy TopCat it does it for you. Randomising the payload is another nice feature.

so far this is the best place I have gotten answers about a lot of things; I'll be back thanks I was wondering if I should've gotten TOPCAT I'll have to get that :) 

I fly a little bit of everything; mostly freeware when it comes to the big heavies; I'm not into the systems simulation so I haven't found any payware (other than maybe CLS) for the 767 and the A330/340

There are templates for Airbus Evolution A330 and A340 but for the vast majority they use payware aircraft as quite rightly, their flight models will be more accurate.

I saw someone mention that there was a profile even for the A2A Cessna 172 (which I don't have yet, but I got the Carenado 172 though)

I can't see one in my install.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

The a2a Cessna profile is something that needs to be added. It is not one of the default aircraft.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The a2a Cessna profile is something that needs to be added. It is not one of the default aircraft.

Does this aircraft have the necessary equipment for IFR flights? It seems unlikely. PFPX is aimed at passenger jet aircraft.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Ray,

Granted high end payware are going to do much better in accuracy so of course those are going to be listed; would be nice to be able to add freeware without too much trouble (I wouldn't mind doing it if I could get the right data for it) 

Does this aircraft have the necessary equipment for IFR flights? It seems unlikely. PFPX is aimed at passenger jet aircraft.

I don't see why not; the 172 can be used to train PPL ticket holders for hood time; it won't be some advanced IFR flights though; I don't know if they're making newer 172s with the G1000 or not but if they are there's going to be options for it to do GPS approaches (not that they couldn't do it before the glass panels) even the 182s are capable of doing IFR so long as the pilot is IFR rated. 

Granted high end payware are going to do much better in accuracy so of course those are going to be listed; would be nice to be able to add freeware without too much trouble (I wouldn't mind doing it if I could get the right data for it)

I agree and have started to tweak the Posky 777-200 for accurate fuel burn figures. Although there isn't a Posky 777 template you can use another and tweak the fuel burn figures making it a pretty close second. The Posky aircraft are good flight models and fly well in FSX.

I don't see why not; the 172 can be used to train PPL ticket holders for hood time; it won't be some advanced IFR flights though; I don't know if they're making newer 172s with the G1000 or not but if they are there's going to be options for it to do GPS approaches (not that they couldn't do it before the glass panels) even the 182s are capable of doing IFR so long as the pilot is IFR rated.

Training is quite different to full blown flights. PFPX is overkill for light aircraft. But by all means ask the question in the PFPX forum. http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/forum/592-pfpx-professional-flight-planner-x/

Spending over $50 for a flight planner for a Cessna is not something I would contemplate but it's up to the buyer to decide.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

what do you mean by there isn't another template you can use another?? The template can't be copied and made to work with another a/c?