Sign in to follow this  
jewel77

IMPORTANT! Delete fsx.cfg file before switch to DX10!

You must delete fsx.cfg file prior to switch to DX10 and let FSX create a new one because if you don't do this you may experience a sim that looks like a bad DX9! 

Maybe many of you know it but i started this topic for other new DX10 simmers like me :rolleyes:  who don't.

I had stutters, bad frames and lot of shimmering and i was wondering that last year i had a better experience with the free patches. I spent a whole day of tweaking and searching with no success.  

So the last thing was to delete the fsx.cfg file and tataaa the sim at its best again!

You must delete fsx.cfg file prior to switch to DX10 and let FSX create a new one because if you don't do this you may experience a sim that looks like a bad DX9!......

It's not a must if one know what to do but if one has a messed up DX9 fsx.cfg then it may be better to do it your way.

Spirit

It is by no means necessary.

I didn't do it & didn't experience the problems that you describe.

Maybe your config file was already damaged in some way?

Also, if you let FSX build you a new config file, then it will be missing all of the tweaks that we now know are required for optimum performance.

I would back it up as a precaution and as reference material. It's always good to do some cleaning after a period of tweaking and adjusting in the FSX.CFG, so I would always recommend starting fresh and add the necessary tweak manually again. It removes misspelled words and redundant entries that might sneak in when tweaking. Especially when starting with DX10, since you should "recalibrate" your settings with DX10 usage, I would recommend backing up the old one and start fresh.

But of course, if you are a very precise person or you just don't want to start over or need advise from others concerning performance, then don't.

Why should others care about what you do! :P

I use FSPS Xtreme for my tweaks and it has 2 profiles. So at Prof1 have the DX9 and at Prof 2 i have DX10.

Not necessary depending on the health of your config. I edit certain things manually and let the Fixer do the rest. No issues here.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

I use FSPS Xtreme for my tweaks and it has 2 profiles. So at Prof1 have the DX9 and at Prof 2 i have DX10.

Having the ability to swap any of several fsx.cfg profiles is a real boon if one is good at shuffling files. FSX Go will also do this, too - a great program.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Luckily I did not have that problem. It's probably because I set DX10 and installed Steve's Fixing add-on soon after i finished a fresh new install of FSX and after I completed the tweaks and the installation of the other add ons. 

So probably my fsx.cfg file wasn't in bad shape.

AHS712D Alvaro Escorcia KSGR/OMAA
AirHispania Virtual Airline
MSFS / ASUS TUF Gaming F15-Refresh-144Hz / 11GenIntel (R)Core (TM) i7-11800H
NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX3060GPU / 1TB-Samsung SSD / 32GB-RAM
SAMSUNG-SmartMonitor-M7-32"4K

IMO, experienced users need not delete their cfg prior to anything. If you're unsure in what you are doing, then yes, delete your cfg, but bare in mind to backup all entries from the [TRUSTED] section as those are major PITA and will force you to re-approve all of your add-ons in case they're deleted.

I think I saw Paul suggesting congestion of this section can hurt performance. I don't really see how, it's just lines of approval for dll modules and if you delete them, it will be major PITA like I described above. From my experience, it has nothing to do with how the sim performs.

I think I saw Paul suggesting congestion of this section can hurt performance. I don't really see how,

Adi - If it has to be read into memory upon starting the sim - it's affecting the performance. I want nothing in memory that I am not going to use. This is my motive for almost every "tweak" (I hate the stupid name) that we use. "Optimize" is a far better word. 

If I'm flying VFR around the PNW, using the slew of very nice Orbx airports/airfields - then I don't want tubeliner AI loading. I don't want Couatl or Addon Manager loading. I don't want my video software checking for updates, EFB loading, Google crap loading.. and so on.  I reckon 75% of forum posts revolve around frame rates and performance and hesitations and OOM's, and yet this message doesn't seem to sink in for many people. 

FSX is a frame-hungry application that gets progressively "better" as the hardware capability improves, so while that peak hasn't been hit yet, we have to optimize and compensate. I don't like cutting out AI because I haven't done everything else I can do to make the experience better, including choice of hardware.  Everything.

Adi - you're not trying hard enough!

All the Best,

pj

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

I'm using the DX10 fixer but there are still some issues. Bad Framerate (especially with the PMDG inside the Cockpit) and some strange black flickering.

I will try your hint. It's a bit strange that i only have about 15 FPS inside the Cockpit and a lot more outside.

Philipp Schwaegerl

Friends,

I have DX10SF now, but I want to create fresh CFG file. Is it necessary to uninstall Fixer's libraries first?

Regards,

Lucas

No Lukasz, uninstalling the libraries will not have any affect on the FSX.CFG.

And for anyone that is interested you should make your settings in nVidia Inspector first, delete/rebuild your FSX.CFG and make your edits.  I do the same when I install a new nVidia video card driver.

\Robert Hamlich/