Sign in to follow this  

LOD_RADIUS=15 but it's NOT about distance

So, with a 4 cores, and 4 HT cores and wanting to free real core 0 what mask should I use ?

0111 0111 or 0111 1111 ? and what translates it into AM setting ?

Neither of those. Core 0 and its HT thread are denoted by the lower two bits, so 1111 1100 would allow FSX to use all cores except 0 and its HT counterpart. That's 252 in decimal.

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

I have a little bit different reason for using Hyperthreading and one which I admit I don't really understand. Maybe someone more knowledgeable than I could shed some light on it.

My Alienware's BIOS allows me to modify the Turboboost O/C. I have set all 4 cores at 4.3Ghz.

I get the full 4.3Ghz with Hyperthreading enabled. With HT off I can only get 3.8Ghz even though 4.3Ghz is set in BIOS.

HT=254 works quite well for me and I get consistently smooth FSX performance and no crashes. I haven't noticed any appreciable difference in core temps.

Jesse Cochran
"... eyes ever turned skyward"

P3D v5.3 Professional, Windows 10 Professional, Jetline GTX, Gigabyte Aorus X299 Gaming 7 mobo, i7 7740X @ 4.9 GHz, Corsair H115i Liquid Cooling, 32Gb SDRAM @ 3200MHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX1080Ti @ 11 GB

ORBX Global + NALC, ASP3D, ASCA, ENVTEX, TrackIR, Virtual-Fly Yoko Yoke, TQ6+, Ruddo+ Rudder Pedals

I take it all this experimentation is using dx9 ? so why is it i can run much higher LOD radii when using dx10?

All the images I published were using dx10 however they would have looked the same under dx9.

Higher LOD = higher memory usage

Dx10 = more memory headroom = higher LOD achievable without OOM

Neither of those. Core 0 and its HT thread are denoted by the lower two bits, so 1111 1100 would allow FSX to use all cores except 0 and its HT counterpart. That's 252 in decimal.

Pete

And, based on the above, you would actually want to free up the virtual core on Core1 as well..

So the target would be:   1111 0100

244?

Bert

HT enabled here, and a decent O/C. Use 3D, Image, video and sound editing tools that take advantage of it. FSX runs just fine though I know it makes no use of HT, I found after years of IM testing it is of little use IMHO but YMMV.