Sign in to follow this  
windshearDK

My solution to the OOM threat

After working hard to curb this looming threat of Out Of Memory pings after each long haul flight, I started digging into DX10.

First of all I found out, that some of my AI had been installed with FSX textures of up to 4096 resolution textures at around 5MB per piece. I fixed all of them so that they all would carry FS9 textures, of about 1MB per piece.

I always fly with 100% AI, and I love it so...

Next I completed my DX10 conversion with the new fixer utility to be found online for purchase.

And now I fly, take screenshots go in and out of the cockpit, enjoy blasting AI features and watch the stars shine at night... All with out a single OOM ping.

I have flown into FTX UK Manchester and back to Flytampa Dubai. And today I just finished my DXB-BNE and return flight, using Flytampas Dubai and FTX Australia plus Brisbane, all with AI...

Hope it helps you guys!

Yours truly
Boaz Fraizer
Copenhagen, Denmark

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

hi could you tell me what AI package you are using

tks

kav

First of all I found out, that some of my AI had been installed with FSX textures of up to 4096 resolution textures at around 5MB per piece.

There is your problem right there.

Even in DX10 mode, FSX is still 32-bit, FYI.

Bottom line: as awesome as FSX can look with all the super high resolution textures - you don't get something for nothing.

Best regards,

Robin.

Yeah that's why I wrote both things as the root of my solution! DX10 did how ever solve a lot! I would never be able to fly DXB to MAN with FTX UK active etc, regardless of AI...

I don't use any AI package per se, I installed freeware AI planes and flightplans... Which is the most realistic and good looking solution IMO

Yours truly
Boaz Fraizer
Copenhagen, Denmark

Yeah, all the new WOAI repaints just released are 2048x2048, or 4096x2048 (Mipmapped). I appreciate the effort, but I have to ask what were they thinking, going to hi-res for AI? This probably explains the sudden performance issue I have with the 777 that I was racking my brains over the last couple of days, as it was performing better before. Guess I have to go and resize them.

Tom Cain

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

I always fly with 100% AI, and I love it so...

I agree. What is the point without "real world" representation, I want to fly with the big boys and experience airport ops.

I use a lot of packages

-my primary is flight plans from online sources such as alpha india group, united traffic team, avsim etc. these are more up to date.

-all the WOAI packages

-ultimate traffic 2 fills in the blanks for what I don't have until I find the package. UT2 is almost useless now because of all the manual packages I installed which also covers more airlines than UT2 like Porter Airlines which does not show up in UT2.

-All the Military AI works packages excluding fighters. To me, fighters are useless because they don't have a mission and only serve to clog up approaches for aircraft with a mission.

-my GA is custom made with default aircraft and models from sources like HTAI to get more variety. The some of the plans are from UT2 and the majority is from a flight plans generator called "GA Traffic" I think. It came from the FS9 era and I ported them to fsx format.

All my traffic collection started in fs9 and I imported them all to fsx. I have a busy world. Of course a lot of airports need to be modified to accommodate the loads and accuracy of parking-which I have done for the most airports. Going in to JFK, KEWR or KLGA can be a nightmare around 4-6pm when there is over 700 ai plans present and my frames drop to as low as 7fpm at times. Sometimes if it gets too bad if I go to KEWR, when I get close on approach, I open traffic tool box-traffic tools and delete all none KEWR traffic. Other than than it is not bad. Its fun to be cruising and see others pass by and cross their contrails :lol:

Sizes

-military ai aircraft folder-over 5gigs

-Ai aircraft folder-over 10 gigs

good thing I got 1 terra B)

cheers!

I feel exactly the same way. In real life also, I am enchanted by the life of the airport, and I do my best to keep the fleets and flight-plans up to date.

I would really advise you to install The Fruit stand and the new and up and coming FBAI. Their models are crazy good!

Just take care these FBAI are all HD if you download them for FSX, so it can do havoc to your virtual memory  ^_^

By the way my Dubai was packed completely full at around 5 am local!

Yours truly
Boaz Fraizer
Copenhagen, Denmark

By the way my Dubai was packed completely full at around 5 am local!

Haven't been there in a while.

Yeah, all the new WOAI repaints just released are 2048x2048, or 4096x2048 (Mipmapped). I appreciate the effort, but I have to ask what were they thinking, going to hi-res for AI? This probably explains the sudden performance issue I have with the 777 that I was racking my brains over the last couple of days, as it was performing better before. Guess I have to go and resize them.

Tom Cain

I would recommend replacing with the new FBAI in FS9 version and also TFS versions... But you have to make sure it's not the FSX version you install, as they will be HD textures!

It will take a long time to fix perhaps, but it's not playable like that

How do you guys reduce the Ai texture sizes?

Regards,

Darren

You donload freware AI with FS9 texures, not the FSX option, do you know how to install freeware manually installed AI?

Yours truly
Boaz Fraizer
Copenhagen, Denmark

I would recommend replacing with the new FBAI in FS9 version and also TFS versions... But you have to make sure it's not the FSX version you install, as they will be HD textures!

already downsized using Photoshop so no more issue. Dropped them down to 512, which actually doesn't look bad at all.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

I was just wondering, does your vc look cloudy when using dx10? I also am using the fixer but the textures look like I'm looking through a light fog, not very crisp. It doesn't matter if I change from 1024-4096 it's still the same. I'm not sue if this is normal for dx10. Thank you.

Anthony

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60GHz   3.60 GHZ, 32 GB ram, win 10, gtx 1080 gpu

I was just wondering, does your vc look cloudy when using dx10? I also am using the fixer but the textures look like I'm looking through a light fog, not very crisp. It doesn't matter if I change from 1024-4096 it's still the same. I'm not sue if this is normal for dx10. Thank you.

My DX10 with fixer looks fine? that sounds more like a graphic card setting or FSX setting in graphics settings. You do have use High Res cockpit textures selected in FSX?

Try have a tweak of your cards settings - other neat tool is sweetfx which can be used to sharpen things also, along with other edits to make your DX10 world look better

Thanks for the reply, I will do more research and tweaking to see if I can fix this. I do get better frames with dx10 for sure I just need to solve this blurry problem.

Anthony

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60GHz   3.60 GHZ, 32 GB ram, win 10, gtx 1080 gpu

I would never be able to fly DXB to MAN with FTX UK active etc, regardless of AI...

Something is seriously wrong with your setup then. A lot of people who fly in FSX are not computer experts and are thus making mistakes when overclocking their computers, and when setting up fsx.