Sign in to follow this  
swadeep

latest 331.65 driver and vsync

1/2 refresh lets in the odd rip, in cockpit you may not have seen any problem, maybe panning the outside view you could see tearing. A slow down somewhere recently may bring it on a little more than it was, so now alerting you to it. Set fixed fps below that which can be maintained and wait 30 seconds for the card to retrain and work on the look ahead buffer, takes a little while. Tweaks may have worked with DX9 and older cards in some way, I've only seen drops in performance on my 680.

...it's possible the new driver update altered the vsync settings internally somehow and isn't working at all. Perhaps making adjustments as I suggested, defaulting the card and remaking settings, will cure the problem, and you can continue with 1/2 refresh setups.

Will try as you suggested when I get home and will report back.

Thanks

Swadeep

You should get trouser flapping performance. I've got full debug trace outputs, full sliders, IF10 Ai only, you know who 777, addon EDDS, rain, maxed outside view, Wideview=False (or =0), PC is non-overclock 3960x GTX680. I'm setting fixed 15 fps and no fans fussing but 19fps or above is better since this more or less is where the view becomes fluid to the human eye, although I've not tried any other eyes.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

I have tried everything that you all suggested but doesn't help at all. Been doing more search and apparently it affects other games too. I decided to roll back to previous driver (327.23) and all is well again now. So I will stay on this driver for now and maybe wait for a while.

Thanks

Swadeep

Tearing is inevitable with sync at half refresh, set vSync on and see how that goes. A couple of other things might help: setting affinity generally restricts where Windows can put the threads, with HT off other threads can't use the more efficient HT mode on a core whereas FSX threads will still get the same throughput, and other threads run more efficiently. HIMEMFIX and bufferpools setups can reduce the frame rate on a 680. Go back to default cfg settings then tweak from there. Set the GPU control panel to defaults then set FXAA on, AA Mode enhance, AA setting 16xQ CSAA, AA transparency 8x, max pre rendered frames 4, Tex filter High Q, vSync on.

This sounds all interesting because I too can't get rid of tearing!

Would you be so kind to post sceenshots of your settings??

I am not very good with AA settings, it is confusing and screenshot a clearer for me!

Do you use nvidea inspector for setting up AA??

Regards Robert

Hi Robert, I'm running DX10 and NVidia 306.14, If you right click on the desktop you can choose the nVidia control panel and select program to customise=FSX, and then press Restore sets defaults - now from the top down set FXAA on, AA Mode enhance, AA setting 16xQ CSAA, AA transparency 8x, max pre rendered frames 4, Tex filter High Q, vSync on, this setup should reduce the jagged edges. Don't forget to check AA and choose Anisotropic filter in FSX graphics settings.

Here's a shot of the control panel as I have it with my 680. Lesser cards may need reductions, 8xCSAA and 4x transparency

nvidiaAA.jpg

Here's a shot of the control panel as I have it with my 680. Lesser cards may need reductions, 8xCSAA and 4x transparency

nvidiaAA.jpg

What fps do you get say in airports like fsdt kdfw and do u set fps limit on fsx? Or set it to unlimited in fsx and limit in inspector and how much?

Thanks

Swadeep

If I'm not mistaken, in the Main section of your FSX cfg file add:

DisablePreload=1

This should get rid of your tearing issue. I am at my office and can not refer to my rig, but I am almost certain I added that on mine and tearing has vanished.

Hope this helps. :-)

Best, Jeff

This has nothing to do with graphics at all - it disables the preloading of the default flight in the background when you launch FSX, that's it.

To the OP - when you do the install of the new driver, make sure you select "Clean Install" in the custom options during install. You'll have to rebuild your Inspector profile for FSX, but it should fix the problem. (I also personally run Driver Fusion between driver versions to make sure I'm starting 100% clean with each new version)

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Ryan,

Thanks for clarifying that. I now know. My apologies to the OP if I had caused any confusion.

Best, Jeff

What fps do you get say in airports like fsdt kdfw and do u set fps limit on fsx? Or set it to unlimited in fsx and limit in inspector and how much?

Thanks

Swadeep

Hi Swadeep. Be careful when comparing fps, wait for the sim to fully start up and settle down over a couple of minutes, turn off AI traffic since this could make the sim appear to stutter with ATC coming in early.  With the views especially the outside view, check out the difference to fps looking up or down and zoom in or out, horizontal view zoomed out on ground in rain is worst case fps. In these cases I get around 15-45 fps on ground with addon airport and PMDG777. But also with this I have full debug trace on and full sliders and shadows DX10, I do set minimum airport traffic and not above 20% cars+boats. I set fps limit in FSX. When the limited fps cannot be reached during the sim the stutters begin, because there is no preparing look ahead frames. Direct X is after all designed to use pre rendered frames. Experimenting with inspector limiter and other settings is worth a look.

I just installed 331.65, went through my usual tests (FPS, smoothness etc.) and I can report no problems. FPS is at 43 as usual in my test, then enabled VSync 1/2 and it was smooth as silk.

Then I noticed my NI version is outdated (1.9.6.5) so I figured it must be that. So I downloaded and installed 1.9.7.2 and noticed there were indeed a few new options, but my settings will still there. I left all the other options untouched, went through the same tests and got the same results. All you gotta do is import your previous settings and don't touch the rest.

If you install NI don't just export the .exe but also the other two files. Just in case check in your NI root folder whether these three files are there (apart from your profiles).

I also mirror your experience.No video issues and looks good and clear

Vsync is known to be broken in the latest drivers. End of story.

After all you might be correct. Although VSync appears to behave perfectly at first glance, I am getting a bit microstutter every few minutes or so, quite annoying. I have never had that before.

I hope it's going to be fixed. :(

Microstutter? Missed VSync appears as a momentary misalignment or rip across the terrain while panning in the spot view zoomed out, this shows it up easiest.