Sign in to follow this  

I stopped flying

Used Cakewalk back in the 1990s with my SoundBlaster AWE32 :)

Strange as it might seem, I've been an avid musician for 20 years, but have done little recording or sequencing on my own. I still write music on paper...

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

?..I recommend you pick up coding using Microsoft's platforms and you'll be treated to a constant and never ending "technology of the day" ...

Arghhhh - your evil lol

... But, there is a common theme developing here... I wonder how many of us make or play music? About a year ago now I had to sell my super duper keyboard, due to lack of space. Now, with all these comments, I'm starting to miss it!

Used Cakewalk back in the 1990s with my SoundBlaster AWE32

I remember the AWE32 (owned one).  It's funny, I've gone back and forth from Windows (Cakewalk) to OSX (Logic Pro).  I don't use my MacPro much any more since Apple seemed to have moved away from the Video/Music arena and their long long long delay between releasing a new MacPro.  

I've enjoyed high end keyboards also (Korg is probably my favorite).  I'm certainly not good enough to be considered "a musician" (at least I don't consider myself as one), but I can put sequences together and come up with "enough" of a good sound.  But I find the world of sequencing fascinating (but so little time and so much to learn).  I'm down to a simple M-Audio keyboard that's just a midi controller and a control surface (Mackie) using Motu Ultralite MarkIII with some Genelec monitors.

But I agree, FSX comes in phases, sometimes I'm spending a lot of time on it, then I get consumed in other projects and return to FSX later.  Lately I've been spending a lot of time with FSX and having a blast (so many great 3rd party products).  Every so often I'll fire up XP10 for some night flying.  But I agree that I haven't done much P3D since the V2 announcement. 

I remember the AWE32 (owned one).  It's funny, I've gone back and forth from Windows (Cakewalk) to OSX (Logic Pro).  I don't use my MacPro much any more since Apple seemed to have moved away from the Video/Music arena and their long long long delay between releasing a new MacPro.  

I've enjoyed high end keyboards also (Korg is probably my favorite).  I'm certainly not good enough to be considered "a musician" (at least I don't consider myself as one), but I can put sequences together and come up with "enough" of a good sound.  But I find the world of sequencing fascinating (but so little time and so much to learn).  I'm down to a simple M-Audio keyboard that's just a midi controller and a control surface (Mackie) using Motu Ultralite MarkIII with some Genelec monitors.

But I agree, FSX comes in phases, sometimes I'm spending a lot of time on it, then I get consumed in other projects and return to FSX later.  Lately I've been spending a lot of time with FSX and having a blast (so many great 3rd party products).  Every so often I'll fire up XP10 for some night flying.  But I agree that I haven't done much P3D since the V2 announcement. 

I used a Roland midi-keyboard with the AWE32. It was pretty cool and I could make sounds and use samples that sounded so much better than my super expensive Korg M1. But I have mostly played guitar (only used the Korg to play some solos (I wanted to be the next Van Halen :) ) I returned a few years ago to keys by treating myself to a Yamaha CLP Clavinova. Love it!

I have been looking for a Mac solution to get back into the game, but it doesn't sound good if they have neglected the creative area lately. I thought musicians and graphic designers were their core users!?

As for flight simming, I had two bad years after ACES was closed, but got back in the pit three years ago and have had more fun than ever with all the great addons that has been released. I don't use a computer 4-5 months in the summer, so each fall I am eager to get going again. Always start with the same ritual: Wipe the drives and start the season with fresh windows and flight sim installs.

I have been looking for a Mac solution to get back into the game, but it doesn't sound good if they have neglected the creative area lately. I thought musicians and graphic designers were their core users!?

The new MacPro is pretty slick but not on sale until Dec, but it's just too little too late for me.  I'm guessing the high-end video/audio market was just too small for Apple and they've neglected it in favor of their mobile market.  I haven't tried Logic Pro X, still on Logic Pro 9.  But FCP X was a huge downgrade from FCP 7 -- no idea what Apple were thinking when they made that move ... it's the reason I moved over to Adobe's suite.

I don't use a computer 4-5 months in the summer

Travel, Armed services??

Travel, Armed services??

I stay in a cabin in the woods mostly. Photograph, listen to Bach and read. Wish I could afford it year round :) I live in the Arctic so I try to make most of the daylight and midnight sun during summer. Such a waste staying at home in front of a computer. I also try to get a few hours behind the yoke of real aircraft. Don't travel much anymore (the bug left me), the only part about travel I still enjoy is the flying :D

I stay in a cabin in the woods mostly. Photograph, listen to Bach and read.

Wow, that's a different life ... low on stress.

LOL This is going off topic terribly but I love it.  ^_^ The very first 'keyboard' I bought myself was this one:

korg-ms20.jpeg

Take note, I owned the the original one, not the remake you can buy now! I still feel sorry (and stupid) for giving it to a band when I got my next synth… I should have kept it!!! I used two cassette decks to record my songs (sound on sound). After this Korg I had a Roland D-50 which I traded in for a Roland D-10 because that one had a built in sequencer on which I actually created songs (I had a lot more patience back then…) After a few years I got an Atari 1024FM (or something like that) with a program that later became Cubase. But before that happened I got a PC with Cakewalk Pro Audio which later became Sonar and up to now I sticked with Cakewalk. I still own that D-10 but three years ago I bought an M-Audio Oxygen keyboard because it was lighter (easier to move around) and it had a modulation wheel (instead of the odd D-10's modulation joystick you had to press).

Originally I am a guitar player but I can't play the guitar anymore due to arthritis so I use my keyboard to play the guitar nowadays (which imho is perfectly possible thanks to various VSTi's). Here are some examples (in some songs you may have to wait a while before you hear guitars ^_^ ).

https://soundcloud.com/jeroen-van-engelenhoven/dont-want-to-say-goodbye

https://soundcloud.com/jeroen-van-engelenhoven/yellow-light

https://soundcloud.com/jeroen-van-engelenhoven/turn-around

https://soundcloud.com/jeroen-van-engelenhoven/distortion

https://soundcloud.com/jeroen-van-engelenhoven/glass

(P.S. In case you want to check out the rest: there are a lot of old demo's and crappy things on that Soundcloud account…!!!  :rolleyes: )

Now back on topic. Er… well, I don't have anything to say that's on topic right now LOL

Ha ha! Everey thread ALWAYS goes off topic eventually :D

Great to hear your stories, Rob and Jeroen. Seems we are more alike than I could ever have imagined. Man, I miss the days when I played in bands and practiced 6-8 hours a day on the guitar, but now that my hair is getting thinner, and I can't get my fat &@($* into my black leather pants, I feel more comfortable behind the yoke than on a stage. Rockers don't age with grace :D

Can't wait to hear those song Jeroen, but in the office now, so it will have to wait.  

LOL This is going off topic terribly but I love it.  ^_^ The very first 'keyboard' I bought myself was this one:

korg-ms20.jpeg

Take note, I owned the the original one, not the remake you can buy now! I still feel sorry (and stupid) for giving it to a band when I got my next synth… I should have kept it!!! I used two cassette decks to record my songs (sound on sound). After this Korg I had a Roland D-50 which I traded in for a Roland D-10 because that one had a built in sequencer on which I actually created songs (I had a lot more patience back then…) After a few years I got an Atari 1024FM (or something like that) with a program that later became Cubase. But before that happened I got a PC with Cakewalk Pro Audio which later became Sonar and up to now I sticked with Cakewalk. I still own that D-10 but three years ago I bought an M-Audio Oxygen keyboard because it was lighter (easier to move around) and it had a modulation wheel (instead of the odd D-10's modulation joystick you had to press).

Originally I am a guitar player but I can't play the guitar anymore due to arthritis so I use my keyboard to play the guitar nowadays (which imho is perfectly possible thanks to various VSTi's). Here are some examples (in some songs you may have to wait a while before you hear guitars ^_^ ).

https://soundcloud.com/jeroen-van-engelenhoven/dont-want-to-say-goodbye

https://soundcloud.com/jeroen-van-engelenhoven/yellow-light

https://soundcloud.com/jeroen-van-engelenhoven/turn-around

https://soundcloud.com/jeroen-van-engelenhoven/distortion

https://soundcloud.com/jeroen-van-engelenhoven/glass

(P.S. In case you want to check out the rest: there are a lot of old demo's and crappy things on that Soundcloud account…!!!  :rolleyes: )

Now back on topic. Er… well, I don't have anything to say that's on topic right now LOL

You traded a D-50 for a D-10? Doh!!!!

I had a D-10 and always wanted a D-50!

Wow Jeroen! You're quite a talented guy! Those guitar sounds aren't bad at all, although for a trained ear they still lack the "feel" of real strings. But as a tool for composing music they sound better than the guitars on my 4 track tape demos :)

You traded a D-50 for a D-10? Doh!!!!

I had a D-10 and always wanted a D-50!

LOL Yes, I know what you mean... The D-50 sounded a lot better. But I really wanted that sequencer... 8 tracks and a seperate drum track! That was mighty cool way back then (at least for me because I am a one man band)! I still own that D-10 btw: they knew how to make things that last in those years. It must be 25 years old by now but it's still as new...! As I said I bought an M-Audio Oxygen keyboard but the feel of it sucks compared to the D-10...

Wow Jeroen! You're quite a talented guy! Those guitar sounds aren't bad at all, although for a trained ear they still lack the "feel" of real strings. But as a tool for composing music they sound better than the guitars on my 4 track tape demos :)

Thanks for the compliment! I have to say that I've had some er... bad experiences with (real) guitarplayers in the past because I posted those songs elsewhere too and a few of those guitarplayers weren't amused when they found out, after complimenting my guitar playing, that the guitars weren't real ones... :rolleyes: (They felt tricked although that wasn't my intention.) If you know they aren't real, it's easier to hear it than when you don't. ^_^ Anyway, my 'guitartracks' sound a LOT better ever since I stopped playing the real thing LOL

BTW I stopped making music for quite a few years because I couldn't play the guitar anymore and to me the guitar is THE instrument for my kind of music. It wasn't until some really good virtual guitars were released that I started making music again. And they are getting better and better: mine are a few years old already: in the meantime a few virtual guitars are released that really give you that feel of the real strings you mention!

The only drawback is that it's a tedious job to get a good track... You can't simply pick a guitar and play: to me, not being a real keyboard player, it requires a lot of editing.

But er... anyone out there who still wants to discuss FSX and flying...? B)

I will have a listen tomorrow. I only have my iPad at the moment and that wouldn't be fair.

Wow you guys are serious, makes my sad efforts pale by comparison. Way back when, I only had a small midi keyboard and a programme on the Amiga. I can't remember the name of now, it was really simple stuff, and you could only record 4 tracks if i remember. It would still take hours to put together a track. I know I posted some midi tracks on what was then compuserve via a 14.4 modem. All those files are now lost. Even google can't find anything. The internet was young and you felt that they would be their forever. Of course I saved it on a 3.5in floppy, then onto a Zip drive but all those formats are no more. Things have moved on so quickly. The ravages of time!

My philosophy isn't that the tracks are any good, its the sheer enjoyment you get out of making them. Music does that for you.

Sorry, music gets into your soul more than FSX which we should be talking about. Now where was that FSX topic...

The very first 'keyboard' I bought myself was this one:

Wow, that's a classic.   

But er... anyone out there who still wants to discuss FSX and flying...?

Well there is actually a relationship between the two ... lots of buttons and knobs :)

I will have a listen tomorrow. I only have my iPad at the moment and that wouldn't be fair.

Wow you guys are serious, makes my sad efforts pale by comparison. Way back when, I only had a small midi keyboard and a programme on the Amiga. I can't remember the name of now, it was really simple stuff, and you could only record 4 tracks if i remember. It would still take hours to put together a track. I know I posted some midi tracks on what was then compuserve via a 14.4 modem. All those files are now lost. Even google can't find anything. The internet was young and you felt that they would be their forever. Of course I saved it on a 3.5in floppy, then onto a Zip drive but all those formats are no more. Things have moved on so quickly. The ravages of time!

My philosophy isn't that the tracks are any good, its the sheer enjoyment you get out of making them. Music does that for you.

Sorry, music gets into your soul more than FSX which we should be talking about. Now where was that FSX topic...

I made lots of music on the Amiga with various "trackers" - that's what we called those sequencers. Really cool and advanced for the day. I even had a Roland sampler and made my own samples. Incredible things were made by the Amiga, just listen to this 400k song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwtkZ7aExI8

But we digress... Lets continue this over a beer in a nice pub sometime :)