Sign in to follow this  

I stopped flying

I made lots of music on the Amiga with various "trackers" - that's what we called those sequencers. Really cool and advanced for the day. I even had a Roland sampler and made my own samples. Incredible things were made by the Amiga, just listen to this 400k song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwtkZ7aExI8

But we digress... Lets continue this over a beer in a nice pub sometime :)

OMG that brings back some happy memories. :) your quite right they were called trackers. I used to go to a club and we would all sit and swap disks with all those music demos on them, it was a great time. Your right their was some amazing music created in those days. The Amiga was simply 'the' computer to have.

I'm going to have to go into the dark recesses of my loft as I still think I have some Amiga disks knocking around. I know I threw lots away but I'm sure I still have my kickstart and workbench floppies. Not that I have my Amiga anymore *crys* the last emulator I tried just didn't cut it not that I have a floppy drive anymore either. I think!

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm fed up with FSX. Not that I don't like it, it's just that it seems like no matter what I try, I just can NOT get it to run stable. Doesn't matter what plane I fly, what location, weather, addons, utilities, etc, it just loves to crash on me randomly, and only after I've gotten everything set up and ready to go, then it says, "you seem well-prepared for this flight. It would be a shame if something were to...stop working." And I've been dealing with this basically since I started simming almost 7 years ago. So the moment P3D v2 comes out, I'm jumping on it.

Don't know if this is a "condition", or just a normal behavior that I don't know the term for, but I have been noticing I've been having periods of extreme FSX "highs and lows" in the past 2 years.  Almost like being bipolar :Thinking:

I didn't think it was possible, but I'm kind of in a FSX funk now, despite building a brand new Haswell rig and the presence of the new PMDG 777 and PFPX.  I was excited a few weeks back, but now, I'm kinda like, meh....  Maybe it is exhaustion from the 777 hype, but I think it's all the work I've been doing on the setting up the new rig, following NickN's bible thread, and running intense overclock tests these past two weeks.   I barely touched FSX this past winter, and like now, it was following a fresh OS/FSX rebuild after a nasty virus attack on my OS drive.   FSX reinstalls, especially with tons of addons, really take a lot out of me.   Think of an IT person, who despite their love for all things tech and computers, don't want to have anything to do with computers after a long day at work.  

I remember being really disinterested in FSX the first 4 months of this year, not just because of the OS/FSX rebuilding, but also because I had resigned myself to thinking that FSX's old code and other limitations has placed a limit on exciting new developments.   But once I realized that revolutionary addons like ORBX global, PMDG 777, and PFPX were due to be released around summer, I predicted that I would be right back in the thick of things following a 3 week vacation in India in late July, and sure enough, I really got caught up in the excitement upon my return. 

Anyways, getting back to topic, I've often lost interest in certain things when I know something new is coming down the pike.  I bucked the trend though when the PMDG 777 was released, because on that day I committed myself to flying one last leg in the NGX, and it took much effort.   How did I do it?  I like to keep diaries of my flights and share them in the screenshots forum, and I felt obligated to finish a series of NGX flights replicating my vacation travels.  But yeah, to me, what you describe is like wishing you could erase your memory so you can experience old favorite things, like a song or movie, or FSX addons, for the first time again.   For instance, when I get a new scenery I don't want to see what it looks like in the sim until I fly there proper in the sim.   It's so awesome to discover these new things as if you were traveling there in real life.

For me, you really can have too much of a good thing, and it's good to take a break sometimes, absence makes the heart grow fonder right?   I have a kick &@($* system now, and I feel I'm really going to sit back, relax and enjoy it once I finally have all the pieces put together in time for the next wave of FSX goodies that I imagine are arriving soon, like a proper Topcat profile for the 777, the PMDG 777 ER expansion, ORBX vector, and hopefully, Active Sky Next!   And while I'm excited about what P3D v2.0 has to offer, as it's basically the FSX SP3 we have all wished for, I don't imagine I would embrace it if PMDG does not jump on board.   But that product would really take advantage of all the blood sweat and tears I have poured into my new rig. 

Keep flying, Brah!  FSX has been out since 2006 and you still enjoy it in 2013.  The two month wait is peanuts.

Didn't you get that crazy glitch where you don't lose fps with bloom in DX9?  I gave it a shot by changing back to DX9 from the fixer but didn't get lucky :( .  But I'm back to flying in DX9 because I get performance loss in DX10 when using PMDG.

I take time off from flying every few months or so.  I've never taken more than a month off.

I'm also looking forward to P3D V2.

I find that switching what I'm flying helps, with a 3 year old and 4 month old time can be short so dropped flying the NGX with FS2Crew and having fun with 60's era military jets/ turboprops and earlier warbids flying VFR with Plan G.

A nice distraction was working out how to get my add on airports to show in Google Maps, wrote a stylesheet to transform makerunways xml output into KML and now I can at least see where in the world will look good. :)

Stop flying FSX for P3D V2???

Why? P3D is NOT THE FUTURE!!!!!!!

X PLANE Is.......! ( Well, according to Froogle it is).

So stop flying FSX and Start flying X Plane!!! Forget about 3DP or whatever it is.

can , open, worms.... lol!

Just kidding : )

B.

I'm so glad you added the 'Just kidding'  !!   :lol:

Nice old Korg there, Jeroen.   I've owned original DX7, Kork M3 (classic!!), Korg X5 (better than M3 but without the soul), Korg Triton (fantastic), but now I exclusively use VSTi's in REAPER, and Reason's synths of course.   :cool:

It's all electronically generated music for me, (although I do own a Ukulele!), but I do add vocals (SE Instruments 2200 condensor into an old TL Audio Pre-amp, then into my Digidesign Mbox2 audio interface).   :smile:

Well P3D is not the future at all. It's meant for commercial use and pilot training. Nobody of course, cares about that and the EULA and so don't I. But what matters is which developers care about the EULA, and one of them is PMDG. Without PMDG, there isn't really going to be a future for P3D for us simmers.

But the bigger issue is that P3D only focusses on training, and not so much on other areas such as scenery, graphics, UI, and just some general features that make us enjoy it more. Scenery isn't a problem with developers like ORBX out there, but what about the graphics? Do you still wanna play with these awful outdated graphics of FSX? P3D is outdated technology and it will still be with P3D V2. We really need some decent graphics by now: lighting effects, cockpit shadowing, light bloom and all that. It adds a lot the immersion.

XPlane however, is a constantly developing product. It might not yet be where it should be , but it's a matter of time before it will be a worthy platform to move over to. That is because XPlane focusses on us hobby simmers instead of pilot training. Therefore they have much more potential for the distant future. If you want to keep enjoying your flightsimming hobby, we better welcome XPlane with open arms real soon, because FSX is slowly approaching the end of its life.

EDIT: screw whatever I said, P3D is the future. :BIG GRIN:   Though I keep standing by my statement there's no P3D without PMDG!

P3D is outdated technology and it will still be with P3D V2.

^_^ Is DX11 support, HDR, dynamic shadowing, volumetric fog etc outdated technology?

^_^ Is DX11 support, HDR, dynamic shadowing, volumetric fog etc outdated technology?

First see, then believe.

And still, what's the point if PMDG doesn't wanna jump on the P3D wagon?

First see, then believe.

And still, what's the point if PMDG doesn't wanna jump on the P3D wagon?

I've seen the screenshoots:)

I couldn't care less about PMDG. Give me real time shadows, volumetric fog, DX11 support, HDR lightning, 3D water that moves according to the weather conditions and good performance and I ditch PMDG in a hartbeat :P

EDIT: screw whatever I said, P3D is the future. :Big Grin:   Though I keep standing by my statement there's no P3D without PMDG!

Never owned a PMDG aircraft, and probably never will, so it aint black and white for ALL simmers. I'm moving on with the times and only support developers who support P3D. I've paid my dues and have purchased way too many addons for FS2004 and FSX allready.

I won't stop using FS2004, FSX and P3D 1.4, but I'm sure most of my time onwards will be in P3D 2.0. Of course, I haven't seen the price tag yet. I'm not paying top dollar for a product that still is essentially FSX with a few band-aids. Until Prepar3D sports a completely new and overhauled terrain engine and flight dynamics it remains an FSX/ESP service pack in my opinion.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

I've fixed my AI traffic the night before and flown today.

ORD-BOS on a 72S with RC4, FSPax, FSXWX.

Had a traffic jam at ORD*...and a CTD (don't ask) as I was pulling into the gate.

Save for the unended FSPax flight due to the CTD*, I've enjoyed it quite a bit.

Should do that more often.

*No biggie. I was so happy to finally get t/o clearance that I forgot to switch on my landing lights and strobes (normally a huge pilot rating penalty).

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

Carrier Ops is awesome fun especially with AICarriers2, Nimitz, Ike and T-45 all freeware which is up there in the payware quality stakes.

I am interested in P3D2, but I would have a major problem if I couldn't use the Flight1 Cessna Citation Mustang or PMDG 737NGX with it. These are the two planes that I fly almost exclusively at the moment, and I am not prepar3d :smile: to live without them.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png