Sign in to follow this  

I stopped flying

I probably am a bit nuts but I wondered if there are more people who have the same 'problem' as I do.

For a few weeks already I didn't touch FSX. Why? Because of the upcoming P3D 2.0.

I have a weird habit that when I know something new is coming, I don't want to spoil the fun before it has been released. Like Norway. I have awesome freeware Norway scenery but when Orbx announced FTX Norway South I stopped flying there because 1. I really want to have FTX Norway South and 2. I was afraid I would get bored with Norway if I would go on flying there. So I started flying elsewhere. (I have to add I returned to Norway anyway after a week because I didn't like 'elsewhere' ^_^ ).

I also have this with other stuff, like music software. I use Cakewalk's Sonar and when a new version has been announced I almost always stop making music and wait for the new version because I am afraid that if I keep on making music with the old version, I will be sick and tired of making music by the time the new version has arrived. Yeah, I told you I was a bit nuts! B)

So that's why I stopped flying... I fear that if I continue flying in FSX I will be bored with it all by the time Prepar3D 2.0 has been released and I don't want that to happen!

Anyone else who also lost interest in FSX and who is waiting for Prepar3D...? ^_^

No, this sounds like a unique symptome and you have to take immediately medical action ;)

I know what you mean, but I'm not affected with this in FSX.

But yes, if I think about buying sth. new, then playing with the old thing doesn't relly make fun.

(some people do that have with partners also ;) )

At your case I will be careful as P3D2 could be at least 2 month ... 2 month without FSX???

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jeez no.  You must have some faith in P3D being the 'end all' of flight sims! ... I'm happier than ever in FSX at the moment; flying old stuff like the awesome Coolsky DC-9 and the JF DC-6B (modified).

I installed P3D 1.4 last week (and uninstalled FSX) to see if I could "move permanently to the new platform" .... I lasted 2 days before I slammed into reverse; uninstalling P3D and re-installing a lovely fresh config of FSX.

In P3D I get a huge visual stutter/pause every time I bring up any pop-up window (FS ATC, Kneeboard, etc), and it's just too distracting and annoying.   I also got a couple of graphics related CTDs with P3D that I never get with FSX.

FSX all the way!

I do the music stuff too, but I'm a hardcore REAPER user for my DAW, and tend to use Reason for most sound production.  

Get out flying Jeroen, sort your self out!

:smile:

Get out flying Jeroen, sort your self out!

:LMAO:

Now Jeroen, as Dave said, sort yourself out. :lol:  We can help you through this. Now what if P3D v2.0 turns out to be a disappointment ? You could end up walking away from FS altogether!!! Well, we can't have that my friend, You could end up downloading Railworks, or even worse, take up embroidery.

listen to your mates, hop off to Norway, and take off, you know it makes sense. "He who dares wins" 

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

:lol:

Been watching re runs of "Only Fools n Horses "  :lol:   

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

I've been playing flightsims to and from for the last 16 years. I've gotten bored at times and stopped for a year or so, but I always end up coming back. So I wouldn't worry about getting bored of simming just as P3D 2.0 comes out.

Remember that there will probably be a transitional period where you need to have both FSX and P3D 2.0 installed. Some add-ons will break, forcing you to wait for updates or look for alternatives. You'll probably fly FSX occasionally even a year from now.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

I 'get' what it is that's driving you. I too, am looking forward to P3D v2.0 but... I'm the opposite, because I don't have it and am not using it, its not enough to make me abandon FSX.

Although it will hopefully be amazing, from a performance point of view compared to FSX and if it meets expectations, then and only then will FSX be demoted.

As I've thought about I just remembered now that I have same symptomes also in FSX: waiting for ORBX vector and openLC let me refuse to fly in some regions: Asia, Russia etc. I just want to see them when I have ORBX vector there ;)

Guenter Steiner

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester

I understand what you're going through. I'm doing the exact same thing and hoping that Prepar3d will be the one. It's almost religious - waiting for the second coming. I suppose that over the many years of FSX, tweakng and reinstalling over and over again is getting way too boring and frustrating, especially when other sim products are simply install and enjoy. XPlane 10 looks gorgeous but simply lacks, I don't know, something. Am I naive in thinking that Prepar3d will be as simple as install and enjoy? Most definitely - but, back to the religion analogy, "believe".

Mario Di Lauro

Funny you should mention it .... I've been sort of going through the same thing. Like after you've had your first kid, and the second one is coming, and suddenly the first one doesn't seem so cute and special anymore. :lol:  Just kidding (Im way past having kids again ... but then my son and his wife are having their second ... oh, never mind).

Anyway, we're sure pinning a lot of hopes on P3D V2, arent we.

But, as with most of you, I have FSX running pretty good right now, doing all the things I need:

1. No stutters

2. Beautiful scenery out the window (MSE2.0)

3. Nice jet with decent functionality (FeelThere ERJ)

4. Enough knobs and buttons to turn (GoFLight modules)

5. And a patient wife who lets me disappear into the basement when I want ("What dear? The toilet's overflowing? Be up in a moment, after I land at Nashville." Jeesh, woman, leave me alone.)

Will I switch? If P3D turns out to be all it's expected. AFter all, we do need to move forward.

Will I stop buying addons? Of course not.

Besides, they'll all be compatible with P3D V2, won't they? Won't they? C'mon, won't they?????

Keep flying, folks.

I know what you mean. I've wanted to to an around the world flight for a long time, but when I heard about FTX Global I wanted to wait for it first. Then FTX Global Vectors was announced and I had to postpone it again. Then Prepar3D 2.0 was announced and guess what, I postponed it once more. Then I learned that FTX. Global OpenLC wont be finnished until 2015, so I guess an around the world flight most likely will never happen :D

That said, I still enjoy other flights, and I switch between FS2004, FSX and P3D 1.4.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

First, I honestly don't think that P3D 2.0 will be a breakthrough or a revolution. It will be probably a slight evolution of FSX. And it will come with pros and CONS like every flight sim. You will not enjoy it from the start, like also you didn't in FSX.

Second, with the OP's logic I would never play any NBA2K or PES series, because every year a better (in most cases) version is released. :)

Technology is evolving, hardware is getting better constantly. I started simming in FS2002 and enjoyed it. If you knew how good FSX will be 10 years after, I bet you would not quit simming in 2002. :)

Sent from my U8815 using Tapatalk 2

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

First, I honestly don't think that P3D 2.0 will be a breakthrough or a revolution. It will be probably a slight evolution of FSX. And it will come with pros and CONS like every flight sim. You will not enjoy it from the start, like also you didn't in FSX.

I loved FSX from day one!

I agree however that P3D, despite some improvements, still will look a lot like a 2006 game graphics wise. But some improvement is better than no improvement.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987!