Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cai Zicheng

Frame rate problem X-Plane 10

Hi folks,

My XP10 is having a small fps issue. When I use the A320NEO v2 to sit at the KORD custom scenery and looking out of the virtual cockpit window, the frame rate drops to around 25 (from around 40).

However, the GPU load is only at 69%. None of the four CPU cores (HT disabled) usage exceed 65%. Is there a way that X-Plane can fully utilize system resources?

I have a i7-3770K overclocked to 4.5Ghz and a Nvidia GTX 660 2GB. RAM is 16GB. OS is Windows 7 Pro x64.

Please see the attached screenshots for my settings.

Thanks,

Zicheng

post-161632-0-26080200-1386299142.png

post-161632-0-88635300-1386299149.png

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

X-Plane uses the GPU far more than the CPU.  

That's how it has worked since the beginning.

Your GPU may be swaping texture too much.  You have a 2 GB VRAM yet with your setings the total load is already 1.3 GB, try adjusting until you have about 1 GB or less.

I also have 2GB of VRAM and found that turning down texture res from 'extreme' to 'very high' helped reduce the VRAM usage to around 600-700mb. The difference in visual quality is barely noticeable and allows for the card to use VRAM for other stuff.

Also, are you running default XP clouds/sky? If so, then I'd turn down the number of cloud puffs from 100% to around 60%. This is what I used prior to getting SkyMAXX Pro and found this helped with FPS a lot.

Anti-aliasing looks like it could be a bit high, I normally run no higher than 4x if HDR is turned off and still get really good results. I use a GTX 560ti though so you might get away with sticking to 8x.

100% Clouds detail if too much i think.

And you might take the draw distance one lower,to high,or even medium.

SkyMaxxPro greatly improves your performance as it's cloud engine is FPS friendly (after V1.1),and it looks muc much better than default clouds.