Sign in to follow this  
XCLTM3

Active Sky Next with the 777!

Ha! Oh Kyle, you crack me up.........

i7 8770K @ 4.7Ghz + Corsair H100i GTX  Water Cooler - 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000Mhz - NVidia RTX 2070 XC 8Gb - ACER X34 Predator IPS GSYNC 3440x1440 Monitor - ASUS ROG STRIX Z370H - 2 x Samsung SSD Pro 512Gb  - 1 x Samsung EVO 1Tb - Win 10 Pro 64  21H2 - MSFS

"All in, all the time"

Steve Summers

Well I have the demo and WOW is all I can say.

First took the NGX on LAX-SLC-LAX. LAX had a marine layer, the weather ATIS and Flight Briefing are pure awesome. Though two of the voices are difficult to understand/hear. But Landed in SLC with low visibility as it was the morning. Took off about 45mins later and the sun burned a lot of the fog away. It was just awesome. I have a 3 year old i7 system so I take it easy. Only 5 cloud layers 70-80 mile cloud draw and visibility. Had zero performance hits from what I could tell. Landings in LAX are usually FPS heavy for me and it was the same, no big issues at all with ASN or without.

I then took my 777 on its first long haul. LAX-AKL. Well it was great. Listening to the weather change on the radios was great. Exctied to finally have real weather in the sim will be making the final purchase soon!

Great idea having a full demo out there. Without it, not sure I would make this purchase.

Have you actually read the posts here and over on the main FSX forum?

Yep.  The more the merrier right?  Are you ever merry? 

So I bit the (free) bullet and am trying out the trial.  Good stuff so far here between montreal and toronto.  expecting fog on arrival.  I had a question about textures (no I haven't gone in to the manual too deep yet) and I'm wondering if my textures I had installed before installing the trial are still active?  I'm flying over some overcast layer and they seem flatter than I'm used to.  Takeoff clouds were layered really nice, and I had the clouds cutting through my wings etc as I had a layer going through 3000, so I think it's working.  Just wondering if this NEXT is different than 2012 when it comes to loading textures.  I don't see an option in NEXT for that.  

I'm wondering if my textures I had installed before installing the trial are still active?  I'm flying over some overcast layer and they seem flatter than I'm used to.  Takeoff clouds were layered really nice, and I had the clouds cutting through my wings etc as I had a layer going through 3000, so I think it's working.  Just wondering if this NEXT is different than 2012 when it comes to loading textures.  I don't see an option in NEXT for that.  

to answer your first question, you are correct, ASN doesn't affect the textures at all, whichever ones you last installed are the ones that get displayed.

(basically the apps that do texture stuff are overwriting the default textures with their custom ones).

to answer your last question,yeah it's different than 2012, which did have texture replacements. i think it probably works best currently if you install some textures that are fairly balanced, not too stormy or wispy, some of the default themes in 2012 and also in REX look really great, there's some nice freeware ones around too,. that flatness you mention, i installed more fluffy looking stratus clouds from somewhere and it really improved the look in my opinion but it's very subjective, and probably also depends on how many cloud layers you run in ASN and other stuff if it has enough bulk to it..

anyway sorry if this is getting slightly off topic, i'd suggest for further reading there's a lot of info on the hifi forums here on avsim, it's a cool engine worth having a look at for sure..

cheers

-andy crosby

Yep. The more the merrier right? Are you ever merry?

Very much so, especialy merry with a JD & coke, thanks for the concern ;)

Rob Prest

good  day all and happy holidays

I purchased as2012 I have a slight issue I've tried to add flight plan but does not go on I tried to import one from my  saved ones from fsx but nothing happens what am I doing wrong .

Michael R Carangelo

anyway sorry if this is getting slightly off topic, i'd suggest for further reading there's a lot of info on the hifi forums here on avsim, it's a cool engine worth having a look at for sure..

Thanks.  I did read someone in this thread mention what you said as well.  That it doesn't do textures anymore.  I still really love the engine and it seems to work very well with the NGX and 777.  I've even turned off FSUIPC wind smoothing and enabled turb again.  Woo hoo!  

Very much so, especialy merry with a JD & coke, thanks for the concern ;)

mmm now I want JD.  I have a bottle of Crown in the freezer and some gingerale cooling in the fridge.  Happy Friday! 

mmm now I want JD. I have a bottle of Crown in the freezer and some gingerale cooling in the fridge. Happy Friday!

You heard the new Ad campaign? "Don't drink and Fly (Piloting)!"

Really? We're not permitted to Drink & Fly???!!..................D'Oh!!!

i7 8770K @ 4.7Ghz + Corsair H100i GTX  Water Cooler - 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000Mhz - NVidia RTX 2070 XC 8Gb - ACER X34 Predator IPS GSYNC 3440x1440 Monitor - ASUS ROG STRIX Z370H - 2 x Samsung SSD Pro 512Gb  - 1 x Samsung EVO 1Tb - Win 10 Pro 64  21H2 - MSFS

"All in, all the time"

Steve Summers