Sign in to follow this  
XCLTM3

Active Sky Next with the 777!

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

ASN eliminates s-turn /turbulence issues as reported by many (and I can confirm this in my own testing).

As for performance, you have many options to adjust things here.  I'd suggest focusing on cloud draw distance first, possibly using 60 minimum and 90 maximum at first, and then adjust to find the best balance for your system.  Please check the Performance Considerations chapter for good information here on this and other important settings and considerations.

It's showing breaks in my overcast over Athens right now.   Both ASN's map and FSX show this.  

I now have two flights, one on the NGX and another on the T7, and I can say the S-turn issue is no more.

I look forward to hearing from PMDG as to whether or not the new interface will help them create a realistic weather radar for their products.

I'm seriously tempted to buy the AS2012 -> ASN upgrade.. but then it's like 14 days til Christmas I should better buy some presents.. but then again a smooth ride for my 777.. oh damn..

also - do you guys ship new textures / texture upgrades with ASN? So we are finally able to experience the full turbulence simulation without the S-turns with PMDG aircraft?

I'm seriously tempted to buy the AS2012 -> ASN upgrade.. but then it's like 14 days til Christmas I should better buy some presents.. but then again a smooth ride for my 777.. oh damn..

also - do you guys ship new textures / texture upgrades with ASN? So we are finally able to experience the full turbulence simulation without the S-turns with PMDG aircraft?

From what I understand, there will be a texture package somewhere down the road for ASN, but for now the program allowes you to use AS2012 textures or those of other programs.  I completely uinstalled AS2012, but might reinstall it to get some texture variety..

I have been "stuck" with default weather forever. Does this add in updated real weather to FS? How is it on the frames? My PC is decent but its no super machine. Can I get the updated weather without using Frame Rate killing weather textures? I have been thinking about getting real weather soon for a while now just don't know which program to get.

I have been "stuck" with default weather forever. Does this add in updated real weather to FS? How is it on the frames? My PC is decent but its no super machine. Can I get the updated weather without using Frame Rate killing weather textures? I have been thinking about getting real weather soon for a while now just don't know which program to get.

Yes.  There are several performance-related options to allow this to work for all kinds of systems.  With a lower-end PC you may have to reduce some detail/draw range options.  Suggest giving the free trial a go to find out yourself how well it will work for you.

Does anyone get it managed to install the xgauge? When I try the xgauge wizzard I only get an error message that it does not have the rights to acces fsx. If I use the manual install mode in the panel.cfg I only get a black window when I open the xgauge window in FSX. Couldn't find a solution for that until now...

Thx Julian

Question for those who have ASN.  I've been using AS for a long time and am tempted by the upgrade offer.  However, one of the biggest issues I have is with the fog depiction while on the ground.  At airports in IFR conditions the fog layers appear in sim to be large translucent planes placed at certain distances away from the viewpoint instead of a more blended gradual loss of visibility.  Needless to say when taxiing through these the effect isn't exactly one of immersion in the sim.

Since ASN uses currently installed weather textures would I see any improvement to the way fog behaves at airports?  Thanks!

Does ASN address the issue of turbulence (S-curve)?

No issues for me, flying from calm, fair wx all the way into a thunderstorm.

Is Turbulence realistic under ASN or more realistic than the previous versions? 

My perception is: Yes, a rather good deal more. But pls. note I come from ASE (skipped a few versions 'til ASN).

Does anyone get it managed to install the xgauge? When I try the xgauge wizzard I only get an error message that it does not have the rights to acces fsx. If I use the manual install mode in the panel.cfg I only get a black window when I open the xgauge window in FSX. Couldn't find a solution for that until now...

Thx Julian

The automatic install worked flawlessly for me: Installed as admin, run as admin, and every FSX-related program is installed outside of the Program Files (x86) folder.

From what I understand, there will be a texture package somewhere down the road for ASN, but for now the program allowes you to use AS2012 textures or those of other programs.  I completely uinstalled AS2012, but might reinstall it to get some texture variety..

I would like to do that (get the AS2012 textures) into FSX once I upgrade. I have asked a few times and people answer that this is possible but I just don't know how to do it. I use AS2012 and FSX now.

Hi

I have been trying to use the paste format to download the wind for my T7,  I get a format error? I am not sure what I may be doing wrong, or is it not possible for the ASN trial version?

Thanks

David

I would like to do that (get the AS2012 textures) into FSX once I upgrade. I have asked a few times and people answer that this is possible but I just don't know how to do it. I use AS2012 and FSX now.

You can have AS2012 and ASN installed simultaneously.  Run AS2012 and install your favorite textures.  Exit AS2012.  Then run ASN, and you will see the textures you like under ASN's new weather engine.

You can have AS2012 and ASN installed simultaneously. Run AS2012 and install your favorite textures.

Where do I "Install" those textures? do I haved FSX running at this time?

Then run ASN, and you will see the textures you like under ASN's new weather engine.

And when do I start FSX?

Where do I "Install" those textures? do I haved FSX running at this time?

And when do I start FSX?

When you run AS2012, go the the graphics options, which gives you various texture sets to choose from.  Install your favorite.  Close AS2012 after the textures are installed.  They will be installed to FSX, and the program backs up the original FSX textures.  Close AS2012.  Open ASN to get the weather started.  Finally, run FSX.  I hope it works for you.

You keep asking the same question, I explain the answer to you, and you still ask the same question.  :)

Here's my last attempt...

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/428565-active-sky-next-vs-opusfsx/?p=2874805

I'll try again.

Textures are just that...textures.  Pictures, really.  If you open your FSX/texture folder, you will see those textures like these:

11312841513_d07b3c1d98_b.jpg

These are but a few of the textures AS2012 replaces in this folder.  FSX uses these textures to make the pictures of the clouds in the sim.  They are always there...they never move.  You could remove AS2012 entirely off you computer and these files will STILL be there.  That's because they belong to FSX.  You don't need AS2012 to replace there textures...in fact FSX can with its own default textures...you've only replaced those defaults with what AS2012 has given you.

What you have to understand is AS2012 are two programs in one. 

One is the texture injector...the one that replaces the pictures in the texture folder.  This program must be run only when FSX is shut down, because you will not see the new pictures once FSX load them up.  You don't have to run this program at all if you don't want to...only if you don't like the cloud textures you have (maybe you find them too blue, so you want to choose another set)

The other half of AS2012 is the weather engine.  The weather engine reads METARS and basically tells FSX "hey, I need you to show the texture cumulus01.bmp with a sky coverage of 4/8".  FSX then goes to the texture folder and calls up that picture.

ASN, on the other hand, is only the weather engine....nothing else.  So, your textures are already there in the texture folder.  Don't believe me...go to your computer, make sure AS2012 is off, and look in your texture folder.  You will see cloud textures and sky textures in there...trust me.  Those are the same textures you had the last time you ran FSX.  So, yes, when you run ASN, those textures will be used.

In a nut shell, all you use the texture engine in AS2012 for is to replace the pictures in those texture sets.  So, for example, the file I named above called "Cumulus01.bmp" will ALWAYS be called "Cumulus01.bmp"...but the picture will be different.  That's all your doing is changing the picture.  ASN doesn't care what textures you use...it's FSX who uses them anyway.

Just start FSX and ASN...off you go.  Stop worrying about it and have fun.

• Upvote 1

You keep asking the same question, I explain the answer to you, and you still ask the same question.  :)

Here's my last attempt...

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/428565-active-sky-next-vs-opusfsx/?p=2874805

I'll try again.

Textures are just that...textures.  Pictures, really.  If you open your FSX/texture folder, you will see those textures like these:

11312841513_d07b3c1d98_b.jpg

These are but a few of the textures AS2012 replaces in this folder.  FSX uses these textures to make the pictures of the clouds in the sim.  They are always there...they never move.  You could remove AS2012 entirely off you computer and these files will STILL be there.  That's because they belong to FSX.  You don't need AS2012 to replace there textures...in fact FSX can with its own default textures...you've only replaced those defaults with what AS2012 has given you.

What you have to understand is AS2012 are two programs in one. 

One is the texture injector...the one that replaces the pictures in the texture folder.  This program must be run only when FSX is shut down, because you will not see the new pictures once FSX load them up.  You don't have to run this program at all if you don't want to...only if you don't like the cloud textures you have (maybe you find them too blue, so you want to choose another set)

The other half of AS2012 is the weather engine.  The weather engine reads METARS and basically tells FSX "hey, I need you to show the texture cumulus01.bmp with a sky coverage of 4/8".  FSX then goes to the texture folder and calls up that picture.

ASN, on the other hand, is only the weather engine....nothing else.  So, your textures are already there in the texture folder.  Don't believe me...go to your computer, make sure AS2012 is off, and look in your texture folder.  You will see cloud textures and sky textures in there...trust me.  Those are the same textures you had the last time you ran FSX.  So, yes, when you run ASN, those textures will be used.

In a nut shell, all you use the texture engine in AS2012 for is to replace the pictures in those texture sets.  So, for example, the file I named above called "Cumulus01.bmp" will ALWAYS be called "Cumulus01.bmp"...but the picture will be different.  That's all your doing is changing the picture.  ASN doesn't care what textures you use...it's FSX who uses them anyway.

Just start FSX and ASN...off you go.  Stop worrying about it and have fun.

Thank you

. I believe I understand now....

I have found no issues with performance. Same as AS2012 for me.

Amazing piece of kit this. Go get it.

Did not know there was a demo. Will certainly try it out with 777 and NGX and see how it goes. Hoping for the best. Would be GREAT to have some good weather simulation finally in my FSX.