Sign in to follow this  
doublebubble

ASN still stutters with tweaks added.

Does anyone know the affinity number for cores 6 and 7 (Quadcore with HT enabled)?

Hello Tom!

cpu 6 and 7  is 192 (Dec) = 11000000 (Bin)

cpu 7(HT)=1, cpu 6=1, cpu 5(HT)=0, cpu 4=0, cpu 3(HT)=0, cpu 2=0, cpu 1(HT)=0, cpu 0=0.

I also have HT enabled with Intel Turbo Boost doing a good job spreading the tasks (including FSX even without job scheduler entry!). So I disabled the fsx.cfg job scheduler and affinity mask entry a while ago. Instead I use the task manager process tab to manually set the fsx affinity to CPU 2 to 7 and ASN affinity to CPU 0 and 1. All other processes like RCv4, UT2 etc. I leave to the default ALL CPUs.

Works fine so far as it delivers more steady frame rates while running ASN.

I also thought of putting ASN to CPU 6 and 7, but this would mean FSX running on CPU 0 to 5 probably causing CPU 0 and 1 get overloaded quite soon. Perhaps putting FSX to CPU 2 to 5 than could be worth testing. I got the impression that the more CPUs you offer to FSX the more hungry it gets...

Greetings,

Claus

Yeah, installed it too...seems to be slightly better but there are still stutters.

I might be wrong, but it seems that the stuttering comes along with weather/cloud redraws... restarting ASN in that situation solves the stuttering.

Tom

So, did this stuttering always occur from day one of installation, or just start one day? I have been considering getting ASN, and maybe the demo is the way to see how it works on my machine coupled with REX for textures. But, if the stuttering becomes an issue several weeks down the track, then some change has occurred somehow.

Do you know if the Prepar3D guys get the same stuttering issues, as the flight sim code is very similar?

Geoff Bryce

Try the demo. I stuttering occurs several weeks down the road it has nothing to do with ASN. Something else changed.

I have no stuttering in either FSX or P3D.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Try the demo. I stuttering occurs several weeks down the road it has nothing to do with ASN. Something else changed.

I have no stuttering in either FSX or P3D.

Vic

Hi Vic,

Tried the demo. Seems to work great. I have(at this time) no stuttering.

Something I learned many years ago was to load Win 7 and NEVER update it on my flit sim machine. Ever since I stopped the updates, the FSX platform became more stable. Every time I had an MS update, often some thing was not happy....

Geoff Bryce

Hi Geoff -

Agreed - sometimes the updates break more than they fix. I've had great success though with the following routine:

Auto updates are always off

On the first of the month I do a complete system backup

then I install selected critical updates

if there's a problem I can always revert.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

This one has me scratch'n but in a good way. I started the flight from KASN -> 1S2 with my weather set to the fair weather theme with a cruise of FL20.5.  The clouds were typical for Fair Wx ones and I was getting a soild 80 FPS.  Switched to the ASN theme (also running) and my FPS jumped to a steady 150ish.  LOL, switched back and forth with the same results.  Thing that I noticed was how realistic the clouds were with ASN complete with ground / high altitude haze.

It makes me wonder!

Cheers

jja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

Running ASN in FSX and P3D and have no stutters, well related to ASN that is.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

As I had never got rid of my stutters and was putting it down to the install of ASN I finally spent four days doing a complete reinstall of fsx and all the addons, as I progressed through the install and trying to notice when these stutters appeared, completely stutter free sim with a vanilla cfg file, DX10, REX, FTXG, FTX Vector and then the exact stutter somewhere between REX and VECTOR started, still had not installed ASN, RC4, UT2 or any aircraft addons or airports so for me I can take ASN out for being the issue, for me the only thing that helps a lot is setting AF to 14, I know it sounds completely weird running a quad core with H.T enabled with turbo boost and not being able to disable H.T in the bios 14 is the only one that helps me, believe me I've tried them all 14, 15, 84, 85, 254, 255, 14 works for me. DX10 and NV set up to the "T" using PJ's how to guide.

Cheers Rod.