Sign in to follow this  
Tonnage

OOM only when flying PMDG 777

Alright guys, I know there was a thread on this back in September, and reading through that hasn't helped me. Here's my problem:

I have FTX Global, FlyTampa OMDB and Aerosoft Male X addon.

When I fly a normal aircraft, I will turn all of the above on, and I'm fine, I don't have any issues. I can complete a long haul flight with no problems, even letting it run at half speed all day.

However, when I fly the PMDG 777, within minutes of taking off from Male Int'l (Using the tutorial flight plan until I can comfortably navigate the cockpit and try other routes), machine crashes and says "You have run out of available memory..."

I have disabled all of the addon scenery except FlyTampa OMDB and Male X, but the issue still arises. I have set the page filing size to the recommended 24GB (that's what my PC recommended, even though fsx only uses 4GB). I've even tried recreating my FSX.cfg file in order to reset all other defaults.

Considering that the tutorial uses those two exact addons, I would assume that leaving those two on should work. Machine specs are below.

i7-4770k Haswell 3.5GHz (OC 4.2GHz)

NVIDIA GTX 660

16GB RAM

1TB WD HDD

Corsair 600

Flight Simulator X SP2

Any advice?

Do you have HIGHMEMFIX=1 in your FSX.cfg?

What's your LOD_Radius? 

And what about TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD?

Regards

Joona L

I have set the page filing size to the recommended 24GB (that's what my PC recommended, even though fsx only uses 4GB).

Won't affect OOMs.  The OOMs are associated with hitting the max available amount of memory in a 32-bit application.  Paging file does not change this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Address_space

I've even tried recreating my FSX.cfg file in order to reset all other defaults.

This leads me to believe that my advice (below) might not be right, but did you recreate the FSX.cfg and then tweak it?

Considering that the tutorial uses those two exact addons, I would assume that leaving those two on should work. Machine specs are below.

My bet is that you need to dial down the detail in FSX.

i7-4770k Haswell 3.5GHz (OC 4.2GHz)
NVIDIA GTX 660
16GB RAM
1TB WD HDD
Corsair 600
Flight Simulator X SP2

32 or 64 bit Windows?

Kyle Rodgers

The only way I can avoid OOMs on the PMDG T7 in complex add-ons and lots of clouds is to bring down my TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD to 1024...but don't blame the T7....it is a sum total game.

Having said that I think it would be good if PMDG were to give us a way to load lower-res textures for the T7 like they did with the NGX.

Good luck.

Do you have HIGHMEMFIX=1 in your FSX.cfg?

What's your LOD_Radius? 

And what about TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD?

Regards

Joona L

Yes, once I recreated the fsx.CFG I included the basic tweaks. HIGHMEMFIX=1, BUFFERPOOLS, I set my LOD_Radius back to 4.5 (from the September thread) TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD is set to the defaul 1024.

Won't affect OOMs.  The OOMs are associated with hitting the max available amount of memory in a 32-bit application.  Paging file does not change this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Address_space

This leads me to believe that my advice (below) might not be right, but did you recreate the FSX.cfg and then tweak it?

My bet is that you need to dial down the detail in FSX.

32 or 64 bit Windows?

64 bit Windows 7  Home Edition.

I guess I'll try dialing down even more, I just don't understand why, with all the addons, a regular flight works, but the PMDG 777 doesn't.

I just don't understand why, with all the addons, a regular flight works, but the PMDG 777 doesn't.

Because - as stated above - it's a total sum game.

What this means is that you're given a box of address space - 32 bits of it - and the whole sim needs to fit in that box.

As an example, here are some completely inaccurate numbers, but an example nonetheless:

FSX uses 10 bits to run.

You load in some weather, which takes a graphics hit at 4 bits.

You then load the 777, which takes another 8 bits.

You load Orbx scenery, which takes another 8 bits.  We're now hovering around 30 bits of address space used.

Unfortunately, the geniuses at Microsoft coded the loading and clearing of address space poorly, so when you leave an area, part of the data is still loaded in.

Say you load up in Dubai at a hit of 8 bits.  You then move into another area, so Dubai's scenery is no longer needed.  That new area loads as a hit of 8 bits, but all of Dubai's data isn't fully cleared, and 2.1 bits are still left hanging around.

As the new scenery data loads in, you exceed 32 bits.

BOOM.

The reason other aircraft aren't causing the OOMs is that they don't add as much data into that box.  More room is left for the other heavy hitters like scenery and hi-res textures.  If you disabled FTX Global, you wouldn't see your OOMs. Does that mean FTX Global is the cause? No. It's a contributor, though, just like everything else.  So, you're right in that the aircraft is contributing to the OOMs, but it doesn't mean that it's the cause.  Everything loaded together is the cause.

Kyle Rodgers

Two addon sceneries like that definitely shouldn't cause an OOM together with PMDG 777, I've completed multiple long haul flights between many high quality sceneries while using FTX Global & REX textures & Active Sky Next without any OOM trouble. I've even done two ultra long hauls (+17 hours) from Flytampa Athens to Sydney without OOM. 

What about your scenery settings, maybe you could post a pic from your options?

Also I think something that can contribute to OOM's is switching views a lot, try to stay in VC view most of the time. 

Regards

Joona L

When I get home tonight, I'll post what scenery settings I have. Thanks for all of your help guys, I appreciate it.

Actually Joona, if you can post a screenshot of yours, perhaps I can use that as a guide to set mine also? 

Thanks,

Arnab

You could also try,

Turn of RAAS

Stick to being in the VC and turn off the exterior model.

All of the above but imo the 777 is high on VAS and hopefully SP1 might help?

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

I've completed multiple long haul flights between many high quality sceneries while using FTX Global & REX textures & Active Sky Next without any OOM trouble. I've even done two ultra long hauls (+17 hours) from Flytampa Athens to Sydney without OOM.

What settings are you using?

Kyle Rodgers

You guys are definitely on with the views. A couple of my crashes did come shortly after changing views, however, recently I've noticed, they've been happening within a couple of minutes after takeoff without changing views. I'll keep that in mind though, and see what happens tonight.

I was guaranteed OOM's with the NGX/777 with addon airports and route KLAX-KSFO

until I started using DX10 & Steve's fixer.

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i7-13700KF  Gigabyte Z790 RTX-4060-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

With those two locations AI traffic could be an issue, too. (OMDB is a huge hub and Male might run MyTraffic AND Aerosoft Male/scenery addon traffic at the same time). My traffic sliders are both set to 20% each.

Edited by olli4740

I was guaranteed OOM's with the NGX/777 with addon airports and route KLAX-KSFO

until I started using DX10 & Steve's fixer.

It really is "the only way to fly"

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!