Sign in to follow this  
stevefromio

PMDG for real airline pilots

I don't know if there are any airline pilots on the forum, but if so, I would love to ask you a question.

If you took the physical factors and fear of death from flying a commercial airliner, on a scale from 1 to 10, how accurate do you think PMDG aircraft compares to the particular airplane you fly?

What the hell kind of question is this?

I think it's an attempt (albeit slightly misworded), of asking if the PMDG aircraft are close to the real thing from a professional pilot's perspective.

I think it's an attempt (albeit slightly misworded), of asking if the PMDG aircraft are close to the real thing from a professional pilot's perspective.

Its as real as you can get sitting at a desk with a $40 sim being FSX and a $80 addon being the NGX.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

A buddy of mine said it was about 98-99% accurate. He thought it was excellent (he's not a simmer). He did think that the FDE was very unrealistic tho, actually, he called it "lolbad"

vatsim s3

1133704.png

One of the pilots I was talking to on a flight from RJGG to KDTW said that they regularly use the PMDG product to stay proficient and to study up.

What the hell kind of question is this?

What about my question got you all upset? I notice people are very sensitive on forums.

A buddy of mine said it was about 98-99% accurate. He thought it was excellent (he's not a simmer). He did think that the FDE was very unrealistic tho, actually, he called it "lolbad"

Thanks for the answer. That is horrible as you would expect $90 to get you a realistic FDE.

Its as real as you can get sitting at a desk with a $40 sim being FSX and a $80 addon being the NGX.

Good point, I think.

Thanks.

What about my question got you all upset?

I think it's the "If you took the physical factors and fear of death from flying a commercial airliner, on a scale from 1 to 10" part. It's kinda childish to ask for such a rating IMO, and since most of us here are really enthusiastic about pretty much all about flying I really doubt that the "fear of death" is something that comes to our mind when we talk about flying.

Also, I think that the question has been asked quite a few times (in different ways, though), and the general agreeing is that PMDG is actually always as close to teh reasl thing as FSX permits it.

...fear of death from flying a commercial airliner...

The "fear of death" is probably exactly the same as getting in your car.  That doesn't mean a flight sim won't make you sweat at times, but that's from the situation, not from the accuracy of the sim.  :) 

When people talked about immersion, I didn't think they were talking about being immersed in sweat. :D  I was wrong!

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

I don't know if there are any airline pilots on the forum, but if so, I would love to ask you a question.

If you took the physical factors and fear of death from flying a commercial airliner, on a scale from 1 to 10, how accurate do you think PMDG aircraft compares to the particular airplane you fly?

Why don´t you send an email to Capt. Randazzo himself? 

http://www.precisionmanuals.com/

"Fear of death from flying"?

Are you sure this is the right hobby for you?

PS: I must admit that I never, ever fly THY again, they ARE the worst, and the RW pilots here on Avsim - if they knew about the stuff going on there - would agree with me.

What is it with some of you guys?  Simple question, just he worded it oddly.  Not everyone here is a native English speaker.

Thanks, this is interesting. "fear of death" seems to bother people. I don't quite understand that. I certainly could have left it out, but you most understand that the "fear of death" factor plays a real part in a simulator. There are simply things you would do/try/not care about if there was the potential of bodily harm.

Also, when I took a flying lesson once, and was taking off, I was someone scared myself. It made me much more aware of my surrounding, and that is something a simulator cannot achieve (yet).

No problem though. It's all good, and I am sorry if I offended anyone. This is a great community.

What is it with some of you guys?  Simple question, just he worded it oddly.  Not everyone here is a native English speaker.

LOL! I 100% English Speaker.... No offense taken though. I am not very bright either.

While the wording sounds odd at first, it's valid.  You can do things in the simulator that you'd never do in real life.  For example, lots of people in the earlier days of flight simming flew the 747 inverted under the Golden Gate Bridge.  That might be an extreme example.

An example closer to home is a flight I had a couple of years ago with a local pilot in a C172 and he mentioned flying under a bridge.  While I do this all the time in FSX, it wasn't something I was keen to try in real life. 

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Why don´t you send an email to Capt. Randazzo himself? 

http://www.precisionmanuals.com/

PS: I must admit that I never, ever fly THY again, they ARE the worst, and the RW pilots here on Avsim - if they knew about the stuff going on there - would agree with me.

That is an odd question. I can't imagine that doesn't cross the mind of anyone sometimes. In a car or plane in really bad weather, etc.

Thanks, this is interesting. "fear of death" seems to bother people. I don't quite understand that. I certainly could have left it out, but you most understand that the "fear of death" factor plays a real part in a simulator. There are simply things you would do/try/not care about if there was the potential of bodily harm.

Also, when I took a flying lesson once, and was taking off, I was someone scared myself. It made me much more aware of my surrounding, and that is something a simulator cannot achieve (yet).

No problem though. It's all good, and I am sorry if I offended anyone. This is a great community.

LOL! I 100% English Speaker.... No offense taken though. I am not very bright either.

Sorry bout that Stevefromio, you sounded like .....  - something, LOL!

Yep, the fear of death, big, big taboo, uhuhuuuuu... :(

I forgot, it´s a simulator, we can do what we want, also use it as a tool to overcome fear of flying, and maybe even fear of death?

:P