Sign in to follow this  
Pe11e

FMC is a godforsaken device

It is, in FSX. Why? Let's see... I started to learn simple FMC programming in Wilco Airbus Evo. SImplified FMC, so I thought "cool, let's start with something simple, then later to learn programmin it in NGX". But no, even that simple FMC gave me a headache, becuase of few annoying stuff. It uses airac databases (I think), so when I enter departure/arrival airports, and then select a route, I can't use that route in FSCaptain. How in the world I can match FSX Flightplan that FSCaptain uses with airac ones?

Also, choosing the runway for takeoff in FMC before the ATC give you one depending on the wind, is pointless. But much more annoying is that you must choose the runway for landing, and how I suppose to know which runway the ATC will assign to me? So probably I must change the runway in FMC in the middle of approach, sometimes two times because ATC have a tendency to change runways due to wind.

Every bit of that FMC thingy is quite confusing, how to use FSCaptain with default FSX flightplanning with FMC routes. How can I know runway for takeoff and landing in advance? I'm not a prophet!

Oh God, how much I love "less is more" in this case. No FMC, create the FSX flightplan, import it in FSCaptain, and fly! Maybe I would have a will to learn programmin that godforsaken device, if there are no these annoying issues that keeps me away from it.

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

Having just read another thread about nearly the same thing (and not using FS Captain OR default ATC), the navigation data available in FSX is apparently 19 years old. The AIRAC you have is much more up to date, even more so if you update it with Navigraph updates. The intent of the PMDG 737NGX is to simulate a realistic flight environment, so using 19-year-old data isn't very realistic.

In any case, with the PMDG Boeing 747-400, I either fly in multiplayer, where ATC isn't an issue, or I fly in VATSIM, where they have the more up to date navigation data, and that's where the AIRAC comes in.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

Well, that's why online ATC is much better than AI one: It's usually predictable enough, it has up to date navigation situation, and the most importantly, it has brain (a real one), so theres no problems with runway and approach change in mid of approach, and even if that happens, it can vector you very accurately.

The new planners like simbrief, PFPX... has updateable nav database, so generated flight plan matches FMC one, and ATC one, and all that works in great harmony. And that subsequently matches RL.

It's easy to choose the right runways, just look at the winds and listen to the metars before hand. and the AIRAC is available for very cheap on navigraphs website.

You'll get it sometime, it's actually pretty simple once you get used to it.

For landing runway, look at the weather report and opened runways for landing. You have to land where the wind will be blowing forward most, if you know what I mean, so lets say wind is 15 @ 5, and the open runways are 14L, 14R, and 4L, you would choose 4L because it is the heading where the wind is blowing toward the most, so you can predict what runway you would most likely get.

For takeoff runway, again look at the weather report and opened runways for landing, expect only difference is you have to try to "takeoff into the wind" to provide the smoothest takeoff possible. If the wind is 12 @ 23, and the open runways were 12L, 1R, and 1L, you would go for 1R or 1L, now we have two runways possible, get the closest runway to you and that is going to be the most likely takeoff runway.

For your FSCaptain problem, the autopilot should fly through the route when LNAV is activated. For the NGX, I recommend using Fs2Crew & FSPassengers for the NGX instead, its very useful. For routing, just use flightaware or if you have a virtual airline your flying with they should dispatch you a route.

For landing runway, look at the weather report and opened runways for landing. You have to land where the wind will be blowing forward most, if you know what I mean, so lets say wind is 15 @ 5, and the open runways are 14L, 14R, and 4L, you would choose 4L because it is the heading where the wind is blowing toward the most, so you can predict what runway you would most likely get.

For takeoff runway, again look at the weather report and opened runways for landing, expect only difference is you have to try to "takeoff into the wind" to provide the smoothest takeoff possible. If the wind is 12 @ 23, and the open runways were 12L, 1R, and 1L, you would go for 1R or 1L, now we have two runways possible, get the closest runway to you and that is going to be the most likely takeoff runway.

Eh....I don't like the wording of this. Yes, generally, this is correct, but you must also take into account terrain considerations along with runway considerations. You generally want to have a headwind for take-off and landing, but if you can't have that, tailwinds are acceptable up to a certain degree. With most planes, you have a 10-knot tailwind limit. As for choosing the closest runway, John Wayne Airport is an example of where this might not be a good idea. If you're taking off from the 19s, you certain'y don't want to take off from 19 left in a 737.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

Thanks guys for good info here, especially on runway choice rules. I don't have any important issue with FMC in particular, well instead of that runway assignement, but that is a matter of practice.

My biggest problem right now is how to match the flightplan made in FSX (IFR, VOR-to-VOR) for FSCaptain ETE calculations, with flightplan created by FMC (airac or navigraph)? Well, I can made a FSX flightplan to be very cimiliar to FMC one (distance related), but then maybe upper winds will be slightly different?

So, FMC is godforsaken device because it complicates flight preparation with FSCaptain, nothing less, nothing more. I will not use VATSIM or whatever anytime soon, because my PC is in the living room where my wife sometimes tends to sleep, aaaand I must learn proper ATC phraseology, with proper english speaking. In the meantime I can check again MultiCrew Experience, bloody awesome addon, one of the best purchases ever, but, well you know the story. :)

Don't use Default ATC. Either use none, or...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftnaVRdeNe0‎

I'm using PFE, it's really good.

I cam across this on VATSIM. It is an attempt to update the AIRAC in FSX. I've been playing around with it and though a bit clunky, it does fill in a lot of missing data.

Have a look at http://www.gbmitch.net/

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

What does FSCaptain need to work properly?

It needs a flightplan made in FSX (for example) to be able to calculate ETE and required fuel. FSX is also taking upper winds data to calculate ETE, so the flightplan must match FMC, and I don't know how to do that.

I believe simbrief can export a flight plan in FSX default format and in Wilco Airbus Evo format, so when you generate OFP, and export those files, you can supply all programs you use with appropriate flight plan.

I believe simbrief can export a flight plan in FSX default format and in Wilco Airbus Evo format, so when you generate OFP, and export those files, you can supply all programs you use with appropriate flight plan.

That's the info I'm talking about! Thanks!

I thought about some flight planning proggy, but I probably can't find appropriate one just by googling.

all I will say is whos flying the plane you or  the fmc

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg