Sign in to follow this  
FL630

Most accurate G1000 software (Mindstar or F1 Mustang)

What you choose to purchase is up to you, and I'll not enter into discussions as to who's product is better, etc.

However, I will state that Bert is not entirely correct in his recommendation.

The one thing people forget, or honestly don't know (I'm uncertain of which), is that each airframe that has a G1000 in it has a rather unique G1000 in it and while the basics are the same across the airframes... that's about it.

Engine displays are usually different.

Softkey assignments can be different.

Features available are different.

There's a reason Garmin puts out a manual for each individual airframe their G1000 is available in. So... no, using a 182T to familiarize for a DA-42 is no wiser a choice than doing the same with a Mustang.

The 182T is a single piston engine with a turbocharger. The DA-42 is a twin engine diesel. The Cessna Mustang is a twin engine jet. The three have very little in common at all.

Mmmm, I'd guess the commonalities in G1000 installations in different aircraft would be over 90%.  The entire navigation suite is identical (which let's face it, is the raison d'etre of the G1000). The only differences relating to engine and systems reporting on the MFD.

You are correct, there are differences between a G1000 in a C182 and a G1000 in a Citation Mustang but the impact of those differences, from an overall training and familiarization perspective, is minimal IMHO.

Do the F1 aircraft have NDB/ADF functions? This is important, I've only just realised the stock or modified stock G1000 does not support this, which mights cause problems!!

Do the F1 aircraft have NDB/ADF functions? This is important, I've only just realised the stock or modified stock G1000 does not support this, which mights cause problems!!

Yes.

Real G1000 aircraft I fly do not have ADF. 

I believe, from reading around the internet, that this is an option on aircraft, or more likely regions. The EASA ATPL requires us to do NDB approaches and tracking as part of the course, so all the Diamonds at my school have it. I'm not sure where you're from, but due to the decreasing use of NDB's around the world, I'm sure there are many places which it'd be unnecessary. 

It's stupid if you ask me, in the several hundred hours I've got on old fashioned gauges, I've used the NDB once, as an experiment, totally rubbish out of date tech.

NDB's are being phased out in the USA at least.... basically as they break down they don't get fixed.  They add a certain complexity to instrument approaches no doubt, but they're the definition of non-precision lol.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I believe, from reading around the internet, that this is an option on aircraft, or more likely regions. The EASA ATPL requires us to do NDB approaches and tracking as part of the course, so all the Diamonds at my school have it. I'm not sure where you're from, but due to the decreasing use of NDB's around the world, I'm sure there are many places which it'd be unnecessary. 

It's stupid if you ask me, in the several hundred hours I've got on old fashioned gauges, I've used the NDB once, as an experiment, totally rubbish out of date tech.

Well, we are transitioning from JAR-OPS to Part-OPS, it's quite a mess. I practiced NDB zones in C172 classic .We do not have NDB approaches, but many NDBs are installed over the country so it's quite useful for VFR flights as a reference. 

I believe ADF is not installed in our G1000 aircraft because it's rnav capable so NDBs are in computer database. 

Well, we are transitioning from JAR-OPS to Part-OPS, it's quite a mess. I practiced NDB zones in C172 classic .We do not have NDB approaches, but many NDBs are installed over the country so it's quite useful for VFR flights as a reference. 

I believe ADF is not installed in our G1000 aircraft because it's rnav capable so NDBs are in computer database. 

It's a nightmare, isn't it! The ATPL theory side is a joke, the left hand doesn't know what the right is doing. Seems we focus so much on the older equipment and ignore the real-world-use stuff. I can tell you how the insides of an ADF work, but ask me how to do a GPS approach? No idea. It was only a few years ago the syllabus dropped Loran-C!

What do you fly?

NDB's are being phased out in the USA at least.... basically as they break down they don't get fixed.  They add a certain complexity to instrument approaches no doubt, but they're the definition of non-precision lol.

Same over here I believe, a few VOR's have gone too recently, which is a shame! Though I can't think of a single pilot who will be sad to see the back of the NDB

What do you fly?

Our training fleet has few 172s G1000 and classic, and piper seneca.

We are quite a bit behind world trends, there's no rnav implementation other than to enroute.

New! Take a look at Socata TBM850. www.wilcopub.com.

A wealth of info' on there about the  G1000 inclusion as standard.

Available download/boxed. Euro 27.95/29.95.

What they say sounds the best I have enquired about so far.

ANAMIV

hi, Mustang is a very nice bird but....g1000 is not fully functional. If you want a more robust system you have to look at F1 G1000 student.

Serge

New! Take a look at Socata TBM850. www.wilcopub.com.

A wealth of info' on there about the  G1000 inclusion as standard.

Available download/boxed. Euro 27.95/29.95.

What they say sounds the best I have enquired about so far.

ANAMIV

Looking into this now, I do have a soft spot for the TBM series of aircraft, if the G1000 is fully functional, this is both a lot cheaper (I have a few discount points through JF right now) and will provide me with a G1000 AND a new aircraft!

Thanks for the suggestion ANAMIV

Hmmm.. who says the Wilco G1000 is "fully functional"?

Whatever that means..

Bert

Wilco LOL! No, their tbm's G1000 is the farthest from fully functional.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Well that's a shame, I read about last night and that seemed the general opinion, such a shame!!

Looks like mind star might be the winner.