Sign in to follow this  
chumley

Drifting eyepoint

It's not just the viewpoint. I had all sorts of problems trying to mount a beacon effect on the top of the vertical stabilizer in the Goose. It moved side to side based on which direction the aircraft was pointing.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

I never new of this "bug" until I it came up in some thread somewhere. I never experienced it with the 737NGX or any other aircraft heavy or otherwise. But then I do use EZDOK maybe that is why it is not an issue for me.

Bruceb

No, Ezdok does not stop this happening. Ezdok positions its views relative to the FSX eyepoint so they all move around with heading, etc. It's possible Ezdok's random and DHM movements help hide the FSX view bug but it's still there.

In theory Ezdok could apply a camera position offset to null out the effect but it does not and as far as I'm aware they have no plans to add such a feature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not just the viewpoint. I had all sorts of problems trying to mount a beacon effect on the top of the vertical stabilizer in the Goose. It moved side to side based on which direction the aircraft was pointing.

Hook

Interesting. That's the problem with reusing code. If there's a bug in it the bug is reused too.

ki9cAAb.jpg

No, Ezdok does not stop this happening. Ezdok positions its views relative to the FSX eyepoint so they all move around with heading, etc. It's possible Ezdok's random and DHM movements help hide the FSX view bug but it's still there.

In theory Ezdok could apply a camera position offset to null out the effect but it does not and as far as I'm aware they have no plans to add such a feature.

Well if the "bug" is there it is not something I have been concious of - it is certainly not something that has bothered me to the extent it clearly has many others.

Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

I have EzDok and it does not solve the problem. The bug is more noticeable when flying close to the equator. As someone who flies in and out of the equator in the sim everyday, i've gotten used to this. EzDok does make it easier however to reposition my cameras. 

...might be a good software idea for someone to develop...its what's keeping me from flying the heavies...too bad.

Greg

Anyone who can write a program to control the VC eye point could greatly reduce or even totally eliminate the problem.

If no one does it won't stop me flying heavies, it's not that bad.

ki9cAAb.jpg

Sorry to say that neither EZDOK  nor OPUS can cure this problem at all. I still don't know if P3D got rid of it but it is extremely annoying. I am trying to find a solution elsewhere and will keep you posted. 

Regards,

Bill

Well if the "bug" is there it is not something I have been concious of

I can assure you its there.

I still don't know if P3D got rid of it but it is extremely annoying.

Oh yes, P3D still has much the same microslop code.  Same eyepoint movement to simulate acceleration forces. Stupid idea really.  The eye is not a sensory system for acceleration.

Dan Downs KCRP

Well if the "bug" is there it is not something I have been concious of - it is certainly not something that has bothered me to the extent it clearly has many others.

I believe the magnitude of the effect depends on your latitude, as well as your heading and the length of the aircraft. I don't have too many problems flying around Europe & North America in the 747, but flying south towards the Equator causes much bigger issues -- taxiing around Accra a couple of weeks ago was a nightmare with enormous eyepoint shifts at every turn, and I noticed on the way there I was having to readjust increasingly frequently (and make increasingly larger adjustments) the further south I went.

I don't know where you do most of your simming, but if it's generally at latitudes above or below the tropics the effect isn't as noticeable.

Most of my flying is in southern Australia with regular excursions across the ditch to New Zealand in the NGX plus NA west coast and sometimes in UK/Europe rarely elsewhere so perhaps that is why it doesn't bother me even in the T7 but if I try hard I can now see what you guys are on about.

Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

I has to do with the way the Earth is shaped in FSX. It is not round. Here is an explanation from no one other than Nick from Flight 1. Most, if not all, folks here should know Nick not only from his FSX "Bilble" posted in the Flight 1 sim forums but as a major scenery developer and amazing IT technician. He talks about the lights here, but this discussion started with the drifting eyepoint and now includes the drifting lights bug (per Hooks post above). This bug is also prevalent in P3D as Lockheed Martin have not toyed with that area (yet). Anyway, here's what Nick had to say:

"It is most likely associated with the earth curve math and yes locating lights can be a PITA based on where the aircraft is on the earth..  you set their aircraft location precisely based on lets say Seattle and in Florida they are off, farther south off more

I'm sure its in Adams original calculations for the curvature of the earth bleeding into the math for the aircraft lights. If you go into say Norway or Greenland during the day you will notice the ground textures are stretched bad..  this is because the earth in FSX is not round it become conical shaped as you get closer to the poles

nothing you can do about it unless someone hacks the code and separates the association between the earth shape and the lights with respect to aircraft I am sure"

So, it's something I (we) have to live with for now. I tried everything from EZCA to Opus with zero results. The closer to the equator, the worse the effect. The further away from the VC the CG is, the more the magnitude of the effect.

Best regards,
Bill A