Sign in to follow this  
Flyer10

A clean Break from FSX

I have decided that it is time to permanently remove FSX from my system and put P3DV2.1 on the its dedicated SSD.
I don't want to do a complete reinstall of the whole operating system because I spent a long time setting it up following
NickN's FSX Bible and it has been well maintained.

Is there a guide for completely removing FSX from a system and all its addons and registry entries that doesn't include a complete re-install of the operating system?

I want to make sure that there is nothing left over that could potentially contaminate P3DV2.

any advise much appreciated.

I want to make sure that there is nothing left over that could potentially contaminate P3DV2.

Even with FSX installed nothing will contaminate P3D v2 so you don't have to dig deep into the systems to remove any trace of FSX. (You might however reinstall the OS to get rid of all those NickN tweaks LOL!!!)

I did this and it wasn't that hard.  But, now with the 2.1 XML issues, I'm starting to wish that I hadn't.  You might want to wait a bit?

Rick Abshier

5900X | RTX3080 | 32 GB@3600 | India Pale Ale

Its the weekend and it really is time to say goodbye to FSX. I have it on a dedicated SSD and its getting evicted for a better looking and younger tenant whahahaha. Is it simply a matter of Going to Programs and Features and one by one uninstalling everything FSX and its addons or do I need to do more?

Why not just remove the SSD? FSX should not interfere with P3D in any way.

"Its the weekend and it really is time to say goodbye to FSX."

I am still purchasing for FS9 and FSX.

I plan on testing P3D for the next year or so ... looks like it will take a long time P3D to fix the sim and for developers to catch up after the fixes are in.

As for uninstalling FSX, my thought would go like this:

Just uninstall the all products you purchased for FSX in the reverse order you installed them.

Then, uninstall FSX.

Lastly, uninstall any remaining product folders.

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

You just have to be willing to live w/ the current limitations of P3D V2.x.  Even w/ this though I just never use FSX anymore, despite having the lovely PMDG birds installed, and a stable fast system.   Visually, I prefer how P3D looks which I guess is a testimony of how important visuals are for me.  I think if they add effective SLI for P3D V2, and by effective I mean will increased frame rate significantly w/ the same or better IQ, I may likely remove FSX from the other half of my single SSD which contains OS, FSX & P3D V2. It's less than half full even loaded as the FSX sectors are.  I really like one fast SSD for both OS & simulator(s).  No detectable performance issues, and nifty one-drive clone or backup.

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

I did this and it wasn't that hard.  But, now with the 2.1 XML issues, I'm starting to wish that I hadn't.  You might want to wait a bit?

Could you elaborate on the XML issues? I might be moving to P3D soon and am curious...

Could you elaborate on the XML issues? I might be moving to P3D soon and am curious...

Those issues have been taken care off with the latest P3D v2.1 hot fix. There were changes in how P3D dealt with errors in xml, making quite a few add ons inoperable, but LM reversed the situation with that hot fix so you don't need to worry about it anymore.