Hi guys,

I know this topic has been discussed before but I can't quite find the answer I am looking for.

People say Haswell processors work better than Ivy Bridge, but is it right when it comes to FSX or is it the other way around? 

The reason I am asking because an i7 4770K and i7 4820 costs same amount but the second one can be overcooked to 5.0 GHz and above where as the Haswell chip can only be over clocked to 4.3 Ghz I suppose. 

I am looking for high resolution with high frame rate so which processor I should go for?

Many thanks,

Ronnie

From what I understand, there are two main advantages in regard to the 17 4820.

1. Quad channel memory compatibility.

2. Might be better for multiple graphics cards.

Neither of the above is a big deal.

That's it really. In terms of performance, not much different to Haswell. As the BIOS updates come in, perhaps a bit more performance might be squeezed out but I doubt much.

I seriously doubt the 4820 can be overclocked as high as 5 GHz and above, where did you hear that? I heard it doesn't overclock any better than Haswell.

"I seriously doubt the 4820 can be overclocked as high as 5 GHz and above, where did you hear that? I heard it doesn't overclock any better than Haswell."

​Read a review on Amazon that it over clocks to 5.0 Ghz easy... :wacko:

I seriously doubt the 4820 can be overclocked as high as 5 GHz and above, where did you hear that? I heard it doesn't overclock any better than Haswell.

The 4820K is Ivy Bridge and overclocks better than Haswell.

Ahhh, it's a 2011 socket. I was just going to ask why ivy bridge was in the 4xxx number...

What does the E mean? Extreme?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

What does the E mean? Extreme?

I don't think that this has been clarified. Processors that have the X suffix (for example the 4960X) are called Extreme, but the -E in the architecture names (for example Ivy Bridge-E) probably means Enthusiast.

"I don't think that this has been clarified. Processors that have the X suffix (for example the 4960X) are called Extreme, but the -E in the architecture names (for example Ivy Bridge-E) probably means Enthusiast."

So which one should i go for? Haswell or IB? I will solely use this machine for running FSX.

"I don't think that this has been clarified. Processors that have the X suffix (for example the 4960X) are called Extreme, but the -E in the architecture names (for example Ivy Bridge-E) probably means Enthusiast."

So which one should i go for? Haswell or IB? I will solely use this machine for running FSX.

Go for Ivy Bridge-E. It will overclock a lot better. Haswell suffers from both the integrated voltage regulator and the bad TIM.

I knew it! Thank you so much!!! :lol:

I've just read two reviews, both stated that their overclocking endeavours were somewhat better than Haswell, but not 5GHz plus.

1 in 15 Haswell CPU's overclock to 4.7. This time around with Ivy E, it's more like 1 in 5. So please don't expect 5 GHz plus as a given.

Yes, no TIM, but Intel are using "cold solder" an epoxy solder. Yes that's right, glue. So better than the TIM under the IHS you get with Haswell, but still not as thermally conductive as it could be.

Right decision? Probably, but I suggest that before making a decision, the OP read the reviews for the 4820!

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/63119-intel-i7-4930k-i7-4820k-ivy-bridge-e-review-17.html

Pros: Higher base frequency. Less expensive.

Cons: Lacks some instructions, No on-chip GPU. Requires much more power.

4770K...

Pros: Features AVX2 / F16C / FMA3 instructions. Integrates HD 4600 graphics. Needs less power.

Cons: Base frequency is lower. Priced insignificantly higher.

http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/587/Intel_Core_i7_i7-4770K_vs_Intel_Core_i7_i7-4820K.html

Pros: Higher base frequency. Less expensive.

Cons: Lacks some instructions, No on-chip GPU. Requires much more power.

4770K...

Pros: Features AVX2 / F16C / FMA3 instructions. Integrates HD 4600 graphics. Needs less power.

Cons: Base frequency is lower. Priced insignificantly higher.

http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/587/Intel_Core_i7_i7-4770K_vs_Intel_Core_i7_i7-4820K.html

Firstly, he doesn't need the integrated GPU. He's building a machine for FSX which is definitely going to have a discrete GPU.

Secondly, while Ivy Bridge-E lacks some of Haswell's newer instructions, the 4770K is a consumer model which means it's crippled from its TSX, Trusted Execution Technology, vPro and VT-D capabilities. That's something this comparison doesn't take into account.

And thirdly, the most important fact is, Haswell is a lot more hot than Ivy Bridge. About 15 °C hotter at the same clock speed. Another thing the comparison doesn't cover.

While Haswell has some IPC improvements, Ivy Bridge-E overclocks so much better so that he'll end up getting better performance overall, with less heat.