Sign in to follow this  
manuthie

OSM never looked better (lot's of big images - you have been warned)

Oh , my mistake then . Didn't know that's how it worked. I've said it in another topic, and I'll say it again here, your project is amazing!! Thank you for doing what you do. Europe is my favorite place to fly and I will finally get the feeling of being in Europe when I fly there. It's so nice seeing Poland get some love too with your project!! And of course, great pictures to the OP!!!

There would be one good thing about doing a similar project for P3D/FSX. If the converters worked similar, and somhow used the same models (with some sort of automatic conversion), I'd imagine we would get a large increase in people creating regional models and also edits on OSM. This alone would make the effort worth it for me (and for X-Planers :D). Once the X-Plane version reaches a stable version, I'll come back and look at doing this. 

There would be one good thing about doing a similar project for P3D/FSX. If the converters worked similar, and somhow used the same models (with some sort of automatic conversion), I'd imagine we would get a large increase in people creating regional models and also edits on OSM. This alone would make the effort worth it for me (and for X-Planers :D). Once the X-Plane version reaches a stable version, I'll come back and look at doing this. 

I'm not sure P3D/FSX user are really interested in collaborative work. OSM2XP already had an export function for FSX for 3D objects like wind turbines, water towers, radio masts, lighthouses... Result: no one was using it. What they prefer is paying a lot of money for vectors to companies infringing the OpenStreetMap license (ODbL). Or am I wrong ?

I'm not sure P3D/FSX user are really interested in collaborative work. OSM2XP already had an export function for FSX for 3D objects like wind turbines, water towers, radio masts, lighthouses... Result: no one was using it. What they prefer is paying a lot of money for vectors to companies infringing the OpenStreetMap license (ODbL). Or am I wrong ?

I don't think OSM2XP actually did houses or forests, and I saw Benny had started working on it before he'd had enough and moved on.  But with a name like OSM2XP, I'm not surprised that many people didn't know it also did basic FSX scenery as well.

There is only a very small group of users stepping in and helping on OSM for World2XPlane scenery, and AFAIK, it's only in Europe (and mostly German speakers). People wonder why Germany has such good OSM, and the US is empty (Well there's your answer  :wacko: ).

I'm not sure why anyone would want to pay for something if they can get it for free also (with a little more effort), but it certainly seems that way. There is also competition in the FSX world, such as OpenVFR (Which is anything but "Open") and Orbx's vector, which I think does roads. Releasing a free converter or scenery (e.g. On Simheaven) would not go down too popular with such companies and for the people who support them. Of course, if I decided to charge for it, then I'd be going against my own belief that OpenStreetMap scenery should be free.

Don't open a can of worms, lol....

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

I'm not sure why anyone would want to pay for something if they can get it for free also (with a little more effort), but it certainly seems that way.

I think majority of people in the FSX/P3D crowd might consider such tasks as contributing to OSM and generating their own scenery to be fairly time consuming (detracting from them actually flying) and would prefer to throw some money at a 3PD developer to do all the work for them. This way they can simply buy, download, install and fly. I recently saw a comment relating to this on another topic somewhere.

I'm generally more interested in airports and populating them so when I discovered WED and started to use that I created several airports which I now use in the sim. The tool itself is easy to use but I did find the task fairly time consuming making sure everything looks correct. I ended spending almost an entire weekend building airports rather than actually flying.

I haven't yet tried World2XPlane but plan on doing so hopefully this weekend and use some OSM data from Australia to see how it looks.

A selction of screenshots (unedited, the screenshots themselves and also the scenery - thus "out of the box").

Does world2xplane also allow you to download the photo scenery?

Best,

Sascha