Sign in to follow this  
manuthie

OSM never looked better (lot's of big images - you have been warned)

Very nice shots, wow! Is this World2Xplane something I can download and instantly use on the fly or do I have to tinker with this first in order to use it?

Which areas is it available for? I would love to see the Hawaii Region and also Asia.

If you download the tool then you will probably have to start to tinker. But there are scenery files available that somone else already generated using this tool. If you donwload those (like I did) there is no more tinkering onvolved then installing the scenery file (which means you have to unzip a file to the custom scenery folder - that's all).

To see what areas are available as scneery files you can have a look here.

First of all: Thank you Tony for this brilliant project!

How does this work with XP's HDR night lighting? I can't see streetlights on those screenshots...Is this a matter on how I use the tool or a general limitation?

Night- screenshots welcome ;)

Cheers

Flo

First of all: Thank you Tony for this brilliant project!

How does this work with XP's HDR night lighting? I can't see streetlights on those screenshots...Is this a matter on how I use the tool or a general limitation?

Night- screenshots welcome ;)

Cheers

Flo

On some of the screenshots streetlights are visible:

Car_C337_v10_110.jpg

Regarding streetlights. Not yet, I haven't added them, but it's on the todo list. I will eventually get the program to place lights along roads which are in residential zones, which should make villages and towns glow at night.

BTW, we now have a tracker on avsim for reporting bugs, requesting features, etc available here:

http://forum.avsim.net/tracker/project-14-x-plane-scenery-generator/

Please use this thread if you wish to request a feature or report a bug. 

Tony, Laminar Research should snap you up for their 10.30 autogen improvements. :)

I have never seen autogen as good as this outside of some of the Orbx hand-placed stuff.

Since I noticed a discussion in an other forum regarding how much manual scenery tweaking was involved I thought I'd clarify what I did:

• I installed the experimental OSM scenery file from simHeaven (no manipulation or modification at all). I picked the one around Stuttgart because that's close to where I live.
  • I installed the corresponding photo scenery from simHeaven (well - actually it was already installed :lol:).
  • I applyed some of the raleigh scattering tweaks (in fact I think it is exactly the setting as described in this post).

That's it - no hand tweaking at all. I guess I am just lucky and the OSM data around my area is pretty decent.

I know the discussion you mentioned :rolleyes:.

I also did some testing with World2XPlane myself - not the downloaded from simheaven. I.e., I downloaded the OSM data for Germany and converted it to X-Plane.

A selction of screenshots (unedited, the screenshots themselves and also the scenery - thus "out of the box").

Neufahrn (west of EDDM)

cmy0jk6u0lvfwaedx.jpg

Freising (north of EDDM)

cmy0l3c7irjg94vv9.jpg

Schwabach (south of Nuremberg)

cmy0m37h6n9spir85.jpg

Rösrath (east of EDDK)

cmy0mu4r792pf7q6t.jpg

Rösrath-Forsbach (also east of EDDK)

cmy0omgardzdcb979.jpg

Raunheim (west of EDDF)

cmy0phkizrvh4wms5.jpg

Bremen (EDDW)

cmy0qvn74nwpv4axh.jpg

Hamburg (EDDH)

cmy0ro838a56mm8np.jpg

Buchholz (south of Hamburg)

cmy0s9bw28l0gw8k5.jpg

My sceneries (excerpt): LPMA Madeira, LGSR Santorini, the city of Fürth (Germany), ...

Fantastic shots Uwe, thanks for sharing these ;-)

Yup, Uwe - that's the discussion I was referring to. Great shots btw.

I think the combination of real house models (instead of facades) plus the tree lines that follow roads, rivers and even field borders is what makes Toni's tool absolutely stunning and much better then OSM2XP.

I'm glad you like it, and it will only get better.

The next release I'm working on will also generate roads, railways and powerlines (with lots of special tricks to make it more realistic). It will also cut the road through forests and farmland, so trees on the roads will be a thing of the past :-)

And there is even more to come, right Tony? :wink:

My sceneries (excerpt): LPMA Madeira, LGSR Santorini, the city of Fürth (Germany), ...

And there is even more to come, right Tony?

Indeed, the next version also has over 1000 buildings and some objects added from Uwe himself ;-)