Sign in to follow this  
rwat

Good Freeware Bush Scenery?

The topic title says it all, any suggestions for freeware bush airstrips? The more challenging the better (;

Off the top of my head for a start I would suggest:

glbayv2a.zip and glbayv2b.zip

By Holger Sandmann, Rainer Duda, Michael Eder, Scot Fraser, Manfred Herz, Jay Langham, Jon Patch, Larry Silsbee, and Jim Vile

It is great stuff. There is one bush strip in particular that is hard to find and land on. Once you are on the ground the eye candy is amazing. Not really real big on having a bunch of bush strips but once you start exploring the scenery you may not want to land to soon anyway.

I hope this help you get started.

Regards,

Mel

Mel

Flight Sim Addict

:American Flag:

Look into the "Return to Misty Moorings" website. Some decent freeware there.

Great site for bush fliers.

jime

Banner_MJC5.png

James D. Edwards

Ok, Thanks guys I will try out that strip and the website (:

VOZ 1.8 available at aussiex.org has plenty of Aussie outback strips.

Start looking at island flying. Lots of small Caribbean and Pacific strips on lots of small islands, many if which are not well developed.

Check out the work of Roger Wenesley. Also lookup Flight Ontario... although they typically have produced developed strips, their Thunder Bay and Goose Bay packages are very bushy.

OP,

Just be aware that a lot of the Bush Airstrips that have been done within the last three years (Roger's, Holger's, Misty Moorings) will require 3rd Party add on's such as Ultimate Terrain, Glacier Bay and others. They will not display properly using the Default FS9 Scenery. Make sure you peruse the File Description and Readme file thoroughly.

If you don't have any add on Environment Packs (just the Default), then look for Titles from Tom Fica, John Loney, and Don Moser. Most of them are older Entries in the File Library (at least 5-6 years old).

COSIMbanner_AVSIM3.jpg

OP,

Just be aware that a lot of the Bush Airstrips that have been done within the last three years (Roger's, Holger's, Misty Moorings) will require 3rd Party add on's such as Ultimate Terrain and Glacier Bay, They will not display properly using the Default FS9 Scenery. Make sure you peruse the File Description and Readme file thoroughly.

If you don't have any add on Environment Packs (just the Default), then look for Titles from Tom Fica, John Loney, and Don Moser. Most of them are older Entries in the File Library (at least 5-6 years old).

Ya,  I have noticed this before and what is annoying is, is the fact that adding ultimate terrain may cause issues with other addon scenerys. Also all of the misty moorings scenerys seemed to be for fsx only, was I looking in the wrong place on their website?

Misty Moorings, Inc. is the FS9 site:

http://www.mistymoorings.com/index.php

(click on 'Real Estate' at the top toolbar)

It's going to be a Catch 22, I think... UT will mess up other Add on's, but is needed for most of the offerings in the File Library. That's why I stuck with the little guys; their stuff works with Default, and it's enough to populate the Area.

COSIMbanner_AVSIM3.jpg

IMHO, Ultimate Terrain is worth the trouble. 19M mesh might not be, but Ultimate Terrain is.

But the work of Holger Sandmann, FreeFlow, VOZ, and the Flight Ontario are designed to work with default terrain. Some of them include new vector scenery and LC, most of them are compatible with and reccommend Ultimate Terrain, but none of the ones I mentioned (with the possible exception of the Roger Wenesley scenery) require Ultimate Terrain to work properly.

Misty Moorings is designed to fit with the payware Misty Fjords addon sold by FSAddon.

All of Holgers stuff is designed independently of Ultimate Terrain... compatibility is an option, but not a requirment, for his stuff.

I am surprised they made a whole new website for fsx instead of adding an fsx section to the fs9 website ViperPilot

And I may try UT ematheson but I could end up with addon airports in sinkholes or on ridiculous pillars of rock lol. 

I am surprised they made a whole new website for fsx instead of adding an fsx section to the fs9 website ViperPilot

And I may try UT ematheson but I could end up with addon airports in sinkholes or on ridiculous pillars of rock lol. 

It was because Misty Moorings went into 'hibernation' for a couple of years until they made enough Scenery for FSX to 'reopen' their site a couple of years ago.

Roger has made many Scenery Packs for Canada and Alaska, but you have to pay close attention to his Readme file. For example, this line:

"... ULTIMATE TERRAIN Alaska/Canada would normally be a definite plus to get the sea in the right place." That might make a BIG difference.

(from his Gladman Point (CWGP) Scenery)

Unfortunately, a lot of the 'Bush' Scenery (especially in AK) was made to be compatible with UT, Tongass Fjords or Glacier Bay, and it's only the very early files that weren't, like the BFU Scenery.

rwat - That might be your best bet; start with the BFU stuff, and see if those are adequate for your Sim.

Oh... BFU - Bush Flying Unlimited.

COSIMbanner_AVSIM3.jpg

Right - and I did note that the scenery by Roger Wenesley requires Ultimate Terrain. (though his released packages for Nunavut, Greenland, and the DEW line for the most part don't since most of them are outside of the UT coverage area).

However, Holger Sandmanns work, as well as that of FreeFlow and Flight Ontario, does NOT require UT and not possessing UT should not be a reason not to try it.

Right - and I did note that the scenery by Roger Wenesley requires Ultimate Terrain. (though his released packages for Nunavut, Greenland, and the DEW line for the most part don't since most of them are outside of the UT coverage area).

However, Holger Sandmanns work, as well as that of FreeFlow and Flight Ontario, does NOT require UT and not possessing UT should not be a reason not to try it.

You're absolutely right; I should have been clearer about that. Maybe the OP is like me; just looking for some small, simple add ons that fill in some of the empty spaces. 

COSIMbanner_AVSIM3.jpg

Ok Thanks, I will look at bfu's scenery and see if its any good (: