Sign in to follow this  
MDF86

Scenery Tech Landclass?

I've only just become aware of this product, does anyone have any experience of it?

Looking at it, it seems to cover most of the world in different instalments, and if I understand correctly, can be used in conjunction with FTX Global in order to get better landclass?

At the moment I only fly in Europe, and have UTX which deals with landclass for me, but outside of this region I have nothing other than FSX default, and I notice that when I fly to places like Turkey, FTX global (although the textures are great) seems very dull because it just uses repeating textures all over the place as it's using FSX default, whereas I understand a tailored landclass would alleviate this a bit?

Hiya, FTX Global LC is entering beta mid March, so you may want to wait and consider it's purchase...

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Landclass will change placement of textures although orbx one will include special sets for each region. Besides scenerytech was tested and what I saw was worse than utx and sometimes as bad as default. So I'd say - don't do it and wait for orbx

Based on my experiences it doesn't work very well with FTX Global, at least to me it made some dry desert parts of the world look way too green when I installed FTX Global. 

Thanks guys.

Is the ORBX LC product going to be global coverage in one package? I expected it to be (in line with Global and Vector) but on their home page it's advertised as 'Open LC Europe' which makes it sound like they're going to release it by continent which is disappointing if true, and seems to go against the appeal of Global and Global Vector.

As I already have UTX, an EU only product doesn't interest me, and I was hoping it would be a global product in one release...

As I already have UTX, an EU only product doesn't interest me, and I was hoping it would be a global product in one release..

Yes, but you would wait a few years for release if they did it global.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Until end of 2015 was initial plan to release all packs starting with Europe than USA and so on. So you either can wait and buy one by one or buy scenerytech and see not much of improvement. Customers choice :)

Landclass will change placement of textures although orbx one will include special sets for each region. Besides scenerytech was tested and what I saw was worse than utx and sometimes as bad as default.

I disagree, it completely depends on the region. The Netherlands and Switzerland looks like a mess with both Global and default, but looked much better Scenerytech

Well yes, Europe does not look bad but please read what OP said - he already has EU. An now take a look at other scenerytech areas. Does not look as nice as EU

Scenery tech does as it says on the tin.

It will not "transform" FSX, you still won't be able to see your house and in some areas it is more effective than others.

Just like other products, it can only be as accurate as the data on which it is based.

I particular, it can be very effective in areas where FSX is poor.

Here are two examples.

FTX Global and FTX Vector both active.

A small town in the UK, near where I live.

Without Scenery Tech

fF8K.jpg

There is a town there but it's just a random area and shape

Scenery Tech

ynAx4.jpg

You will see that it is moved and the surrounding villages are now there, you can see also that the fields

are now better aligned to the roads and there is overall much more detail.

Villavicencio in Colombia is a much larger place and just as important to its residents though not so

many may have been potential FSX customers.

Without Scenery Tech

V71z9.jpg

Scenery Tech

EwU7.jpg

Clearly to say that it makes little difference is not strictly accurate but it does depend on where you look.

I have Scenery Tech's Indo-Pacific Landclass, and had it installed in FSX. It worked well; a general improvement on default FSX. As I do a lot of flying in the PNG and Solomons area, I might reinstall it in P3DV2, rather than buy Orbx's forthcoming landclass. How well it works with Orbx Global - I have yet to find out.

Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting.

https://rationalwiki.org

Thanks guys, I think I'll probably just wait for ORBXs offerings outside the EU.

I do 90% of my flying in UTX coverage area, it's a shame that the route in and out of Istanbul looks so bad (even with ftx global) as the quality of Taxi2Gate's LTBA makes me want to use it for every flight!

Well yes, Europe does not look bad but please read what OP said - he already has EU.

When you write "Besides scenerytech was tested and what I saw was worse than utx and sometimes as bad as default" in which you don't talk specifically about regions outside Europe, you might give people the impression that it's a bad product.

It's not, in some areas, and even outside Europe, it can be a major improvement over FSX. I also have Scenerytech Canada and it makes my own region look substantially better. I can't guarantee that this is this case everywhere else, but it does confirm what I said earlier that it depends on the region.

You can have the best of both worlds.

I keep the SceneryTech regions below more up-to-date/accurate landclass areas (such as Orbx regions) in the scenery library, so it covers everything not covered by the latter.

You can have the best of both worlds.

I keep the SceneryTech regions below more up-to-date/accurate landclass areas (such as Orbx regions) in the scenery library, so it covers everything not covered by the latter.

Sounds like a good idea. I may pick up Asia and Africa so that when I am outside of UTX coverage I get something better than FSX default. I have payware addon airports for Tunisia, UAE, Turkey, Cyprus, Greece etc which all look pretty bland flying in and out of these areas as they are outside of the UTX coverage area. Hopefully this might inject a bit more realism and at least stop miles and miles of the exact same few textures.

This will still allow the FTX Global textures to be used, won't it? My understanding is this product just tells the sim which textures to display where, is that right?