Sign in to follow this  
Guest B52Drivr

another overpriced FS2004 add-on

Guest ohioguy

Hey, where did this MD80 come from? It's looks great and sounds very interesting. I've waiting a long time for a great MD80.

Someone mentiond upthread that the MD80 comes from the same developer that developed the super MD80 package for FS98/FS2000.I like the MD80 too, so I'm looking for a good value MD80. Did you check out the freeware package in the lib: bp_md81_final.zipAlso, Lago is working on an MD80 with Jet City (I think). Jet City has some great DC9s at http://www.jetcityaircraft.com/The Iron Knukles DC9 is pretty good too, although that was originally a FS2002 design updated to FS2004.

Guest Peter Sidoli

The only thing I am not happy with this one is the lack of Clickable VC. The aircraft systems look great but in the FS9 platform a lack of VC is a dissapointment.PMDG and the upcoming 767 both have a VC .Peter

Guest Pabra

Will fs10 support 2d panels? Maybe not..you'll be stuck with fs9..

Guest panda234

I was thinking just last night, after downloading the full md-80 freeware package including the sga model, sounds, and paul's panel, that any md-80 payware package is going to have to be pretty good. And if it's just a panel, it will have to be REALLY good. billg

Guest Dakota

It is only overpriced if it does not sell well. It is called the free market. One of things we enjoy in a free society. If it does not have a VC, I won't be buying, no matter how good it is.

Well, we all know the scenery engine in FS2002 was completely rewritten so none of our addons would work.After all, the rumours said it would be so :-lol

>An interesting step backwards in value...only a cockpit (at>least at the beginning) and apparently only a 2D cockpit at>that. Plus a price for additional liveries. >>Sometime I wonder whether some of these talented developers>are aware of basic economics like the supply-demand curve,>where you could actually gain more profit by lowering the>price.I look at at it differently. They may in fact deliver unparallel technical/systems sohistication. They may want to deliver a product that has much more in commom with professional trainer than with your typical eye-candy FS add-ons. And the price is still very reasonable (well in line with what Ariane or PMDG charges). Lesser price and higher volume works only so far. No, I would rather wait and see what they have to offer. Liveries? Again, for a product that aims at a different market and different simmer liveries are probably last on the list of priorities. Michael J.WinXP-Home SP2,AMD64 3500+,Abit AV8,Radeon X800Pro,36GB Raptor,1GB PC3200,Audigy 2

>I DO NOT like this way of marketing addons, wait till its>complete THEN sell it.Also in real life, the FMC was an option on the MD80....

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

Guest Peter Sidoli

MichaelI agree with the majority of what you are saying and am very tempted because of its level of professionalism and system modelling.Yet you cannot question those levels with the PMDG offering and a clickable VC is part of their package.In that way for FS9 it is a backward step to an earlier MSFS platform and the author should consider a top VC to go with the product.Looking through a fixed slit window from a 2D panel is in my view not realistic and not using the capabilities of FS9.I will wait till someone I respect gives an impression on the panel/systems as well as the flight modelling before making a dscision on this aircraft without a VC.I really do hope that in the next version of MSFS they finally go away from this ridiculous scenario of running two panel formats, VC/2D and offer one sophisticated VC style panel.Peter

Guest ohioguy

The following is my opinion. The 2-d panels are not accurate, however, the VCs that folks love are far more inaccurate compared to real world cockpit views.I'm just just not feeling this VC thing. Just me..It makes the developement stage much longer and the cost higher for something that looks neat but is far from realistic. Especially for flying by the books, real world type IFR stuff. Guess it's neat if you like looking at pretty textures and eye candy in FS9 at the incorrect perspective?

Guest Toni Rauch

Michael,That statement may be true, but the question of 'value for money' also plays a big part.NOT wishing to re-open the well-documented discussions, if you list what Ariane give you as compared to PMDG for similar prices, you'll soon realise that Ariane is unrealistically expensive for what you get.The same MAY be true for the new MD80 discussed in this thread, but to many (probably most), if all the systems described work well as they're advertised, then as a more technical type of addon, the initial price quoted seems OK.It's only when you buy addons that simply do not work as claimed with little or no technical support/bug fixes that you question the value of some of these addons.....Simple solution? Read these forums for users actual experiences with products and their developers, then decide.If you 'dive into the water without first dipping your toe in', don't complain too much if it's freezing cold! Toni.

Guest Peter Sidoli

It is the better of two evils. The problem I see with the 2d panels is that everything is crammed in to display on a square box often with just a slit for looking out.It would be a little like trying to fly a real plane looking through a toilet roll.Real world we have Pheriferal views. The eye looking forward can see movement 100 degrees left and right of the forward view line without the eyes or head being moved Turning the head and eyes makes a dramatic increase to this.The VC while not an ideal solution does improve the situation.Peter

Guest secks

Why have I not heard of this addon until now?After reviewing the MDMAX website, I am reminded of Ariane. Expensive, upgrades not free, and from what I can tell, absolutely no company presence on their forums. Admittedly, it looks like a high quality addon, but without screenshots, previews, etc., who knows?