Sign in to follow this  
PinkPony

777-300ER now being delivered without tailskid

Of the entire 777 family the 777-300 is the easiest one to get a tail strike because 1) it does not have the semi-lever landing gear which locks the main gear tilt during take off like the 773ER does.

So that's what Ryan meant by this function was simulated correctly in the update. I was wondering what he was talking about.

I'm wondering if PMDG will ever model/simulate that. Of course, not in the initial release but maybe in a few month/years? But please don't quote me on that. 

They already have the semi-levered landing gear modeled and working, don't worry.

They already have the semi-levered landing gear modeled and working, don't worry.

What's your source???!!!

Sorry just kidding...couldn't resist. :-)

David Webster

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 3600Mhz | EVGA RTX 3080 Ti @ 3440X1440 | Crucial 2TB M.2 | Win11

Thanks again :wink:. Do you think we will "feel" the semi-levered landing gear at rotation?

Do you think we will "feel" the semi-levered landing gear at rotation?

Probably not.  What's there to "feel?"  It's simply an altered pivot point for the rotation...

No SLG: you see your nose raise up.

SLG: you see your nose raise up.

If you took two videos of the same takeoff roll with SLG and without SLG, you'd probably see the difference when compared side by side, but otherwise, it should look completely normal.

Kyle Rodgers

Removal of the tail skid has been in the cards for a LONG time; from Boeing Frontiers circa 2004:

"Previously, Boeing helped counter inadvertent tailstrikes on longer jets, as in the case of the 767-300, by having tailskids-plates with shock absorbers fitted to airplanes' aft underbodies. While the 777-300ER supplements the plate-version tailskid with the electronic protection system, the next application even will eliminate the physical tailskid, which will save weight, maintenance and cost."

Don't have it in front of me, but I recall a journal story from one of the ER test pilots discussing how the plane refused to allow the tail to make contact even at high rotation rates (10d/s).  The system will apply significant down elevator to do so.

Dan Dominik                                                                           

"I thought you said your dog does not bite....
                                                                That's not my dog."

Do we really have to verify and validate everything we type in the forums now?

This isn't an essay where we have to cite all our sources at the end.

Good grief people, chill out.

I'm not saying that... I'm just saying people shouldn't be on that high of a horse when others doubt claims without a source.

No, but if you're going to come into a forum without citing sources when making a claim, be prepared to defend it, and don't be surprised if people question it.

Kyle Rodgers

If I'm curious about something that somebody has said, I try to Google it, and I don't get any results, I WILL ask. Obviously, if I was able to pull something up trying to search, I wouldn't have any reason TO ask, and in fact, I would probably post the link myself, so others would be able to have a look for themselves.

Removal of the tail skid has been in the cards for a LONG time; from Boeing Frontiers circa 2004:

"Previously, Boeing helped counter inadvertent tailstrikes on longer jets, as in the case of the 767-300, by having tailskids-plates with shock absorbers fitted to airplanes' aft underbodies. While the 777-300ER supplements the plate-version tailskid with the electronic protection system, the next application even will eliminate the physical tailskid, which will save weight, maintenance and cost."

Don't have it in front of me, but I recall a journal story from one of the ER test pilots discussing how the plane refused to allow the tail to make contact even at high rotation rates (10d/s).  The system will apply significant down elevator to do so.

Thank you. Went on Google and found this link here in case anybody else wants to read it.

http://www.boeing.com/news/frontiers/archive/2004/december/i_tt.html

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.