Sign in to follow this  
Jetblst

FSX Carenado King Air B200. Another Pilot's Perspective, and a couple of tips.

Hey Gang

I have been around and have flown the King Air Line, as a Line Captain for Charter Companies and for Private Companies.  BE350 to the C, E, and B 90s and they are absolutely top of the line when it comes to corporate turbo props.

So, in efforts to get re-acquainted with the layout, I thought I would grab a copy of Carenado's B200.  

At first, I had to say I was a little disapointed.  It seemed there was quite a bit missing and such.  However, I started to think..  Maybe it's the doof in the chair instead of the developers at Carenado.  Hmm.  Yep  I proved myself right it was me.

That said, getting the SP2 installed is a must.  The out of the box copy really is filled with errors that they corrected.  Reading another Real World pilot's post, someone commented that he should look what he paid for the FSX model and look at the price tag of the actual aircraft.  I had to laugh at that.  GREAT POINT.

So.

My findings are, once I got the aircraft tuned in to my less than professional setup, things started to come together.

I happen to have a few tips that I will put up over on tips and tricks but thought I would put them here as well.

First, if you are here, and you do NOT have a registered copy of FSUIPC...  Well, uh...  Wasting a lot of really missed opportunity to enjoy FSX in a very rich environment.  Go grab it.

What I noticed getting started was Carenado did such a great job it was really like saying hello to an old friend.  I was amazed that almost every switch was modeled and works quite well so no need to cover that too much. I'd say it is really nice to see lights working, AutoFX test that works.  Govenor Test that works etc

Props and Governors

The only critique I would give them is on their Propeller Governors. They seemed to have modeled some old 1960's era Bonanza or Piper something or another.  King Air Governors simply do not "wobble" as they do in this model. SMOOTH is the order of the day.  S m o o t h.  King Air Governors do not go in and out and in and out of a particular pitch stop as they do in this model.  If they did, it would be a major write up and I'd be bending a mechanics ear almost off to get it fixed.   Their T210 does the same thing.  They really need to fix that.  

Thottles.

At first I was disappointed in the lack of responsiveness.  THAT was me.  Not Carenado.  I finally got it about right via my X52 and FSUIPC.

HERE are the numbers.

Joy Assignment

Throttle 1

Throttle 2

Send to FSUIPC

Joy Calibration (Axis Calibration)

(Page 3 of 11)

Reverse: -14480  Idle: -10449 (in and out)  Max: 11223 Slope: -8

Check the Filter Box

I have found that this mix of numbers give me the most realistic responsive and travel distance I can get.  This allows you to "reach reverse" (nicely) as well as having the power lever (throttle) hit the proper locations on the throttle quadrant.

This particular range also gives a very nice taxi "creep" if you will.  GIVEN, you have the ICE VANES deployed, AND you have the CONDITION LEVERS at HIGH IDLE.

This test was done at Gross Weight too.  So as you get lighter you will have to move more towards ground fine.  

The -8 Slope allows for a much faster spool up and spool down.

When it comes to taxi of well ANY turboprop but especially the King Air 200, 300, or 350, you have to keep in mind that there is JET THRUST being generated.  I will let you look that up if interested but it is substantial.

You have to balance that with Torque and Prop RPM to get the thrust needed for a nice taxi.  So patience is the order of the day.  This is not a recip.  Takes a little skill to taxi these.  Without burning up the brakes that is.  :)

Well I hope this helps.

I hope to find more as I keep flying this.

If you are reading this trying to figure out whether to buy or not. I would give this one in particular a serious thought.  The other King Air B200s out there are not really indicative of what is actually out there flying today. 

Respectfully,

Jet

I quit using the Carenado B200. I use the FL1 B200 exclusively. For my needs its much more realistic but I'm just a FSer.

Later on I plan to give that one a shot too.  I am sure it is very well put together as it is Flight1.  I really have not seen too many B200s with the Garmin package other than 530s, dual 530s with Bendix King radar/mfd.  I am sure they exist.

ON the other hand.  I was blessed to be able to catch up with the Beechcraft Salesman at Nantucket airport.  He had the new King Air 250.  Not that looks like the machine to have right there.

https://www.google.com/search?q=King+air+250+images&espv=210&es_sm=122&tbm=isch&imgil=xt1VfU95MTPs6M%253A%253Bhttps%253A%252F%252Fencrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com%252Fimages%253Fq%253Dtbn%253AANd9GcStBPLegl0gBeLN3TOaZnbQ6jVCsrXdXk1AKMh-DQ5Gzg-iv5-oYQ%253B1280%253B1000%253BWFguFMdEIH6QdM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.beechcraft.com%25252Fbeechcraft%25252Fking_air_250%25252Fgallery.aspx&source=iu&usg=__7jw0bJKLj0GWr-JzrpjF5t46Hs0%3D&sa=X&ei=PR46U-7MEorMsASMr4DIDA&ved=0CC0Q9QEwAA#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=3pDViYrK-X15rM%253A%3B0WzjF_a10HQVuM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Finternationaljet.com%252Fimages%252FfleetIMG_KingAir250.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Finternationaljet.com%252Fbeechcraft-king-air-250.html%3B1070%3B493

As I recall, and this is the salesman talking, but the claim is 315 knots.  Wow.

Checkout the Collins Proline Fusion!  (They also have the Pro Line 21).  One of the best FMS systems I've flown.

https://www.google.com/search?q=King+air+250+cockpit+images&biw=1600&bih=728&tbm=isch&imgil=fUpx-JcWPBSmsM%253A%253Bhttps%253A%252F%252Fencrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com%252Fimages%253Fq%253Dtbn%253AANd9GcTkQVwB0exfjXS5ilQgEZ2BW_QeLZeqESIDa9877ckLRnF0YZy0eg%253B3600%253B2664%253BDLo6yWCQgvPVEM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.aviationtoday.com%25252Fav%25252Fbusiness-and-general-aviation%25252FNBAA-2013-Touchscreen-Cockpit-Systems-and-Next-Generation-Business-Aircraft_80495.html&source=iu&usg=__p7QL_DfUOYYV5BEYVz01j-a-Lcs%3D&sa=X&ei=KCA6U5ymDdTLsQSo44Bg&ved=0CC8Q9QEwAg#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=fUpx-JcWPBSmsM%253A%3BDLo6yWCQgvPVEM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.aviationtoday.com%252FAssets%252FImage%252FPro%252520Line%252520Fusion%252520King%252520Air%252520250(1).jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.aviationtoday.com%252Fav%252Fbusiness-and-general-aviation%252FNBAA-2013-Touchscreen-Cockpit-Systems-and-Next-Generation-Business-Aircraft_80495.html%3B3600%3B2664

SO?  Who do you think is going to be the first to give us the King Air 250?  LOL!

Respectfully,

Jet

I'm pretty new to the King Air 200 from the real life perspective, so my opinion probably wouldn't count much.  I have both the Carenado and the Flight1 version loaded up to help with my training, and I think both models have their quirks--at least compared to what I'm experiencing so far.  The F1 version certainly seems to model the engine characteristics a tad better, including handling.  The responsiveness seems to definately be better in the F1 version out of the box, whereas the Carenado throttles seems a bit sluggish.

In the real airplane, it seems you really have to keep the throttles in Beta to keep the speed down on the taxi.  In this regard, F1 seems to top it, as in the Carenado, I can barely get the plane rolling even slightly above flight idle.

Both airplanes seem to have some small issues with regards to the load meter/volt meters on the overhead panel.  The carenado volt meter does not come on at all on battery power though it seems to appropriately read 28 volts when both generators are running.  The F1 does come on, but with one generator/engine running, the voltages show 24 volts and 28 volts respectively--which is a telltale sign of a current limiter problem if it were real. 

The F1 model has the G1000, which is nice, though it is also limited in a few features that I would use on a real life G1000.  The Carnado version has a decent EFIS with most of the gauges working--though I do find it hard to overtorque the engines (not that one would want to... I was curious), and also the vacuum gauge is on in spite of the fact that I select bleeds off.  The crossfeed also doesn't seem to work in the Carenado (version SP2).

The Carenado B200 does not seem to autofeather, though the F1 does. 

The Carenado version has more sounds and sounds more real (with the exception of the loud blowers!), whereas the F1 seems to be awfully silent in a lot of click spots. 

The F1 model seems to have some excessive ballooning when going from flaps approach to full.  The Carenado model seems more subtle.  Of my limited experience in the King Air, I don't recall the ballooning being THAT aggressive in the real plane, so I think Carenado is a little better in this regard.  That said, I'll need a few more hours in the real plane to really make any sound judgement on this. 

Anyways, that's just my two cents.  I do have exponentially more hours in the sim models then I do in real life, but those are the items that stand out to me so far.  At the moment, I'm flying the ole -42 engine on the B200 with steam gauges, so in this respect, I've mostly been using the Carenado version to help me learn.  Both models I think are quite worthy of the payware title though and seem worth their respective prices.

Hey Rocket!

CONGRATS ON THE KING AIR JOB!!

Awesome!

On the Carenado, try taxiing with the condition levers low.  When I flew the actual aircraft I always taxied in low.  They actually do work.

On the sluggish engines you can do a lot if you have the registered version of FSUIPC.  If you do let me know I can give you my settings and it works very well actually.

Have you downloaded the SP2 or update to the Carenado B200  Go to their website.  That made a huge realism difference.

The Garmin 530s are modeled very well.  Nothing is going the model the GPS stuff like the real aircraft.  I am interested to see how they do in the upcoming Hawker.  

But if you get the registered version of FSUIPC I think you can do a better job of setting your joystick to more accurately operate the engines.

Let me know!  Take care.

BTWay.

I have mine set up so that the King Air creeps really nice at about 8 knots.  I can get it to inch along or taxi up to 13 14 knots if need be.  Thought I'd add that in.  FSUIPC  LOL

Respectfully,

Jet

Hi Jet,

Ya, I actually have a registered copy of FSUIPC, though have yet to install it on my laptop.  I actually have a X52 as well, so I think your tips above will help--I just have to get around to it. 

I have downloaded the SP2 version of the Carenado.  For the most part, I don't have any major complaints outside of the above observations thus far.  Kind of wish the crossfeed and autofeather would work a little better, though for the most part, it doesn't deter too much from the experience!

Well maybe I simply got lucky and had the AutoFX work for me on a fluke.  I need to try it again.  IT sure worked well for me when I triggered it.  :)

Respectfully,

Jet

Coming back to this thread, and having experienced the real B200 a little more, I think I actually am starting to have more respect for the Carenado King Air vs. the F1 model for some reason.  The F1 model is actually great in it's class, and the avionics is a nice touch, but I think the Carenado King Air actually "feels" better.  I can set an attitude and I can get an airspeed with what I expect.  The slight balooning everytime I add flaps seems to correspond to the real thing.  I also take back my comment about the taxiing before, because it doesn't feel too different and the idle setting seems to put the levers just slightly in the Beta.  That said, I haven't flown a real Blackhawk varient yet to really make the fair comparison. 

The AutoFX light seems to come on at 90% N1 as expected in the Carenado, but I'm not sure if it actually works (as in actually feather if the torque drops on one side).  I don't fail my engines enough to see though :lol:.  Loving the Carenado though, and it works great with Accufeel. 

Rocket,

I too am a huge fan of the carenado b200 and I am patiently waiting to see how Milviz go with their 350.

Im curious to see if you use ezdok and track ir with your accufeel set up.

If that combo works for you I might have a look at accufeel.

Hirdy

I actually don't use ezdok and track ir since I move around a bit with just my laptop.  That said, from what I've read on the softwares, I think the combination would work just fine. 

Jetblst, I would be interested in your throttle settings.  Thanks!!

Sorry it took me a while to get back to ya.

Ok, using the registered version of FSUIPC.

Under Axis Assignment.

Assign your throttle on the X52 to the  "Send to FSUIPC Calibration"

Select Throttle 1

Select Throttle 2

(Even though you only have 1 throttle axis)

Under Joystick Calibration.

Go to page 3

Now the numbers are -14448 - 10449 11224

Check the filter Box

Slope should be set to -9

In FSX... 

Make sure you set your CONDITION LEVERS to LOW IDLE.  (We only use Condition Levers to High Idle during Flight.  Set them to HIGH as you take the runway, then LOW as you exit the runway.

What I mean by LOW IDLE is that the Bottoms of the Condition Levers should be right in line with the L and the W in the word LOW for LOW Idle.

With all that set you should be able to achieve Beta, Reverse, and Idle, and you should be going into Beta right at or about the 25% mark on your X52.  It may vary for your set up. 

To maintain a 10 to 15 ( about 12 knots ) knot taxi you ought to use about a 190 Torque setting.  With those conditions you should not have to touch the throttle(s) during taxi, except to slow, or stop of course.

This is how I have mine set.

Good luck!  Let us know how it works!

Respectfully,

Jet