Sign in to follow this  
ChaoticBeauty

Prepar3D 2.2 Released!

Can anyone test what the AUTOGEN_TREE_MIN_DISTANCE_TO_LOD command does?

Reducing this value seems to thin the amount of distant veg that's drawn, at least that is what I could see when taking comparison shots, with the default value and then lowering it to 1000 or less. I'm now running a max radius of 12000 with a lower Min Distance LOD of 800.

Reducing this value seems to thin the amount of distant veg that's drawn, at least that is what I could see when taking comparison shots, with the default value and then lowering it to 1000 or less. I'm now running a max radius of 12000 with a lower Min Distance LOD of 800.

Thanks! Can you upload those comparison shots in here? From what I understand, this command sets the distance at which the second LOD level begins.

I don't think we need comparison shots at the end of a 23 page thread. Seriously.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Hmm... I tested this is the beta version of 2.2 and got a clear difference, as seen in the cropped images below.... however with 2.2.1 I cannot see any change regardless of setting, even going to extremes, and the same applies for performance. The TREE_MAX_DRAW_DISTANCE does have a clear impact and you can reduce the veg draw radius to very low levels.

So I'm not sure what DISTANCE_TO_LOD is currently doing, if anything. It would suggest a change to lower resolution, or other reduction, at a certain point, but I can't see it... a question for LM I think.

MAX_DRAW_DISTANCE 12000 - DISTANCE_TO_LOD 1000 with 2.2 beta.

UQCxA.jpg

MAX_DRAW_DISTANCE 12000 - DISTANCE_TO_LOD 2500 with 2.2 beta - note far greater tree density in the distance.

B1eP.jpg

People will now have to blow through 23 bleepin' pages of a thread to see that. Oy! :P

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Oy! :P

I know, but the question was asked... :blush:

I agree we need seperate threads from now on, rather than this getting ever longer.

Oh no, I just started a new page :ph34r:

Hmm... I tested this is the beta version of 2.2 and got a clear difference, as seen in the cropped images below.... however with 2.2.1 I cannot see any change regardless of setting, even going to extremes, and the same applies for performance. The TREE_MAX_DRAW_DISTANCE does have a clear impact and you can reduce the veg draw radius to very low levels.

So I'm not sure what DISTANCE_TO_LOD is currently doing, if anything. It would suggest a change to lower resolution, or other reduction, at a certain point, but I can't see it... a question for LM I think.

Thanks for the shots, you are right that things are different since the beta. The second screenshot shows both a greater draw distance as well as bigger trees near the camera, which indicates a higher LOD level.

I don't think we need comparison shots at the end of a 23 page thread. Seriously.

People will now have to blow through 23 bleepin' pages of a thread to see that. Oy! :P

What's your problem?

It's called availability of information. Now, the information regarding that one setting in the .cfg file, what it does and an example of such... is on page 23 of a rather long thread that probably won't stop growing any time soon. Information... good. Location... bad.

It's not my problem... it is a problem.

[EDIT]

Anyone else find it odd when there's a dislike added to someone's post by someone who has never posted in the forums??? Seems to be quite a bit of that going on... and I find it weird.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

It's called availability of information. Now, the information regarding that one setting in the .cfg file, what it does and an example of such... is on page 23 of a rather long thread that probably won't stop growing any time soon. Information... good. Location... bad.

Honestly, I think that most of us have been following this thread from the start, so I cannot really see the problem. Every time you click on a thread it automatically takes you to the first unread post.

However I can easily update the original post with the most important information throughout this thread like those comparison shots.

Yes... most of us, who have been here a while... yep, you're right.

That new person... who's just arriving... maybe in a month or two... they're not going to go looking in "Prepar3D 2.2 Released" for tips, tricks and helpful information.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

The second screenshot shows both a greater draw distance as well as bigger trees near the camera, which indicates a higher LOD level.

The shots show about the top quarter of the screen, from that point down the tree coverage was the same; ultimate agn veg draw distance was the same in both cases.

With terrain in P3D and FSX the LOD switches to a lower resolution in bands, and in other game titles object LOD changes in the complexity of 3D or 2D models, but neither seem to be happening to the veg here, and the obvious thinning is gone too. I thought it was a good compromise, being able to extend the distance, but reducing the amount beyond a certain distance... I would rather less extending further, as long as the density close to the AC is unaffected and that seemed to be the case in the beta.

Yeah, I do largely agree... I'm sure there is lot of valuable stuff in this thread, but it means a long read for anyone just starting on this section.

The shots show about the top quarter of the screen, from that point down the tree coverage was the same; ultimate agn veg draw distance was the same in both cases.

With terrain in P3D and FSX the LOD switches to a lower resolution in bands, and in other game titles object LOD changes in the complexity of 3D or 2D models, but neither seem to be happening to the veg here, and the obvious thinning is gone too. I thought it was a good compromise, being able to extend the distance, but reducing the amount beyond a certain distance... I would rather less extending further, as long as the density close to the AC is unaffected and that seemed to be the case in the beta.

If it's the top quarter of the screen then that makes sense. I guess the TREE_MAX_DRAW_DISTANCE command wasn't changed then.

It's weird that the vegetation is not affected by the LOD system, because in the Prepar3D 2.2 developer blog it was said that the LOD system would be returning to vegetation autogen, which would make it the same as FSX. I think they should definitely be questioned about this.

Also, I attempted to edit my original post but the Edit button does not show. Why is that?

I guess the TREE_MAX_DRAW_DISTANCE command wasn't changed then.

I kept at at 12000 which I think is the max, throughout.

Maybe some others can test the AUTOGEN_TREE_MIN_DISTANCE_TO_LOD at different values too, just to confirm one way or the other. It does seem there may be some further work that can be done here to optimise the Autogen, which remains a high impact feature in terms of performance.

I kept at at 12000 which I think is the max, throughout.

Maybe some others can test the AUTOGEN_TREE_MIN_DISTANCE_TO_LOD at different values too, just to confirm one way or the other. It does seem there may be some further work that can be done here to optimise the Autogen, which remains a high impact feature in terms of performance.

Are you sure that 12.000 is the max? I just found that thread I was talking about and the guy had it set to 12.500: http://www.prepar3d.com/forum-5/?mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=6154

That was the beta though.

[EDIT]

Anyone else find it odd when there's a dislike added to someone's post by someone who has never posted in the forums??? Seems to be quite a bit of that going on... and I find it weird.

Well, he (or she) won't be doing that in this thread any longer. Anyone who has been a member since 2009 and hasn't ever posted anything at all -constructive or otherwise- has no business strolling through a thread and simply sowing "dislikes" like Johnny Appleseed.

Yes... most of us, who have been here a while... yep, you're right.

That new person... who's just arriving... maybe in a month or two... they're not going to go looking in "Prepar3D 2.2 Released" for tips, tricks and helpful information.

That's is the specific purpose of the separate P3D "Tips and Tricks" forum.

Thus far few have bothered to post anything there at all, except for a few who blithely ignore the "DO NOT ASK QUESTIONS IN THIS FORUM" sticky post... :rolleyes:

Also, I attempted to edit my original post but the Edit button does not show. Why is that?

Ability to Edit a post has a limited time of ~15 minutes if I recall correctly.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator