Sign in to follow this  
HughesMDflyer4

GTX 760 4GB - Enough for P3D?

Hi all,

I'm looking at completing the final part of my PC upgrade, which is to replace my GTX 470. I tried P3D v2 when it initially came out, and had less than satisfying performance with my GTX 470. I wasn't able to turn on most of the shadows/visual enhancements, which is one of the major reasons I was interested in P3D. I'm interested to hear from others running the GTX 760 with P3D v2. From what I understand, after reading various posts, is that P3D v2 runs better with more vram. Is this the case? And will a GTX 760 be enough to run P3D with many of the shadows options turned on (terrain, buildings, etc)?

I would put this in the hardware forum, but I feel that it's appropriate here since it's focused more on P3D.

Brandon Filer

Yes, GTX 760 will be plenty nuff. There are a lot of fliers that have 600 series and works great.

Regards

Lamar Wright

I have a GTX 760 2Gbyte running P3D V2 and aircraft shadowing internal/external + cloud shadows all work fine.

Barry Wells

Hello,

have you tried the latest version of P3D with your current setup? Ive a 460 (Albeit 2nd gen) system that runs 2.2 just fine.

thanks,

Lewis

Lewis - A2A Simulations

Personally, I'd go for the AMD 280x that's the same price. It'll perform better (on par with a 770) with better visuals. 3gb of VRAM is plenty for a single display.

AMD has better AA and AF in P3D 2.2 from everything I can gather from these forums. And it doesn't look like Nvidia is in any hurry to work with LM to fix the issues. 

I was going to go for a 770 but a 290x just fell into my lap. If you are willing to wait a few days I can give you some reports. 

Thanks guys!

I have not tried 2.2 yet, but I'll do that soon I take it they've improved performance since 2.0? I just remember getting worse performance in P3D with pretty much the same shadow settings in FSX (well, comparable at least...just VC and aircraft self/ground shadowing enabled in both sims) Obviously P3D is much more GPU-dependant, so I figured I might just not be able to get much out of a 1.25GB 470.

Bonchie, I'm definitely interested in hearing the results of your testing.

Brandon Filer

Yes a bunch of performance upgrades. Its totally different from my first experiences during beta to where they are now.

Lewis - A2A Simulations

Awesome! I've been excited about Prepar3D, I was just waiting until I could complete a new rig before giving it another go. Knowing now how much they've improved it, I'll be sure to pick up a developer's license soon.

Brandon Filer

R290 4G rocks like lightning

So sweet at 3150x1680

30000m shadows

Sure I don't maintain 50 fps (unless in outside view n high up)

but 22 aint bad since its sorta stays around that

I run two EVGA 760's SLI and I can't complain.

I was searching on Ebay and came across a 4GB EVGA GTX760 for $280 + $10 shipping and decided to grab it, as it seemed to be a good deal based on my price research. I've always gone for NVIDIA anyway and would prefer to continue that trend.

Brandon Filer

Been running a 570 Classified and doing ok. 

Just ordered hardware for a new build - 770 Classified w/4 gb -  should do quite well.

I know if my 570 Classified is doing a pretty decent job, then a 760 should scream in comparison to a 470.

Good luck,