Sign in to follow this  
lcdtmd

PMDG 777 As A Starter Airliner?

And, I can confirm, the B777 is perfectly capable of performing short-hop "repositioning flights" - boy, you can even take her out for a couple of "circuits and bumps" ... there really is no minimum flight duration requirement!

That's a big fat roger!  I've flown KDOV-KADW (95NM) a few times.  Island hopping in the Hawaiian islands with the 777 is something else I do occasionally if I don't have time to do a more in-depth flight across the globe.

You can't go wrong with either the 737 or 777.  Whichever one you choose (perhaps both) master it and you'll be set up to tackle the 744v2in the not so distant future.

Chris Sunseri

It depends on your learning style.  If you like learning several complex systems that interact all at once then either the 777 or the NGX should be fine.  On the other hand, you might do better practicing IFR landings with the default 747.  The default will give you practice on ILS approaches and on staying ahead of a heavy aircraft that doesn't slow down very quickly and needs more anticipation in other respects as well. 

I love the PMDG 777, but I'm not so sure I wouldn't have been overwhelmed with VNAV, SIDs, STARs, descent and approach planning,  and many other things, if I hadn't flown the default 777 in FS9 first. 

Mike

Actually I don't recommend flying the default 777 first and then the "real" 777 by PMDG. 

In real life a pilot gets his PPL, then his ME + IR, then CPL and MCC and then he can do a type rating. Having only flown a Cessna 172 and a twin engine like a Piper Seminole, one could do a TR on a 777 and jump right to its right seat.

The default 777 is bad. So bad that he'll risk acquiring bad habits he'll struggle to delete from his mind once he passes to the "real" thing.

However, I DO recommend the default Baron 58 for IFR practice. But just that "IFR practice", not "aircraft learning practice". Default aircraft are good if you know what you're supposed to be training and learning with them.

Jaime Beneyto

My real life aviation and flight simulation videos [English and Spanish]

System: i9 9900k OC 5.0 GHz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Asus Z390-F

I am mostly a GA guy like the OP.  I find the 777 quite easy to operate and fly.  With the 777's automation, it is certainly no more difficult in terms of pilot workload than a typical workload in a complex GA twin.  As others have mentioned above, the NGX is more 'manual' does have a higher pilot workload.

The 777 will literally let you 'see the world' considering you can pretty much fly between any two points on earth with it.

FS2Crew is an excellent addon for any aircraft and I love having it. It makes my workload a little less and gives a more realistic feeling. However, I would recommend starting out without FS2Crew so that you have a good feel for what all the procedures are and how to perform everything on your own and not rely on a virtual FO. I say this because I have caught things that my virtual FO forgets to do or says he did but didn't and it is helpful that I know what to look for so I can spot when he has messed up.

Samuel Scully

I did make an attempt at least to explain basic IFR concepts in the tutorial. Honestly though I'd probably say get the NGX first - it has two tutorials and the plane is a little more conventional in the sense that there's less automation, less stuff to worry about like ECL and EICAS etc. One you learn one Boeing you'll have no trouble learning the others.

I did it this way round (the 737 first), but I actually wonder whether the 777 is a better one to start with...because of the extra automation. I think this is particularly relevant with the start up procedures.

However, both are phenomenal pieces of software so you can't go wrong with either (well I did when my ngx's autopilot failed, but you get the point!)

Sorry to dig up an old post, but here's the update.  I finally pulled the trigger, twice to be exact.  I went with the minority and the even lesser minority, I purchased the PMDG 777 and then a few days later the PMDG MD-11.  The NGX just didn't excite me enough, although it sounds like it's more of a challenge than the 777 or MD-11.  I'm about 3/4 of the way through the 777 tutorial and so far nothing too difficult.  I'll probably just start from scratch again and complete it in one sitting.  I'm just now at the computer and ready to dig into the MD-11 a little.  I think I'm actually a little more excited about the MD-11 than the 777, I like old stuff with a history.  I addition to the manuals, I'm sure I'll be on the PMDG forums here a lot!

Thanks, TD

I addition to the manuals, I'm sure I'll be on the PMDG forums here a lot!

Welcome to your next addiction (the flying, not so much the forum).

Kyle Rodgers

Having flown all the Boeings, I'd say the 777 is the easiest, if you are looking to go with the least difficulty.  It uses the same operating philosophy as the other modern Boeings, for the autopilot and FMC logic, but lots of the other tasks are automated, like starting the engines and dealing with things like turning off packs during startup and other manual steps.   It's like comparing a modern Mercedes with a 15 year old toyota, there is so much whiz bang technology that does the work for you behind the scenes, which may end up distracting you if you are new to jet liners.  It's best to devote much of your attention to the operation of the FMC and autopilot modes in the 777, and from there take on the additional work in the 737NG, if you want a challenge! 

That's what is so cool about the Boeings, they all pretty much operate the same way with small variations.   Same goes for the Airbus series as well.

You won't be disappointed in any PMDG addon you purchase. I have a hard time choosing which PMDG aircraft is my favorite but the MD-11 would be a very strong contender next to the NGX (until they get the 747v2 released). Even though the MD-11 isn't their best selling aircraft and the VC doesn't look as nice as the NGX or T7 it is still one of my favorite heavies to fly.

Samuel Scully

I was just curious what the consensus was about purchasing the PMDG 777 as a starter airliner for a GA VFR guy?  I've toyed around with flying the big jets a little bit, but that's about the extent of it.  I also have zero experience with IFR.  I'm always up for a challenge, but don't want to get slammed.

Thanks In Advance, TD

Just jump in and press buttons till it works... Kidding if reading manuals isn't your thing there are a lot of videos on YouTube where u can learn almost everything.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.