Sign in to follow this  
757FO

Still having performance issues (With clouds)

Hey guys,

Since upgrading to 2.2, prepar3d has been running very sluggish on my rig. I thought that my GTX680 was responsible for getting low performance. But it seems that the moment I load a weather theme (or use ASN in an area with rain, overcast, etc.) I get major degradation in frame rates and/or pause every couple of seconds.

I would think that with that kind of hw I would have been ok:

Upgraded GTX 680 to an ASUS GTX780TI

CPU is i7- 3770K @ 4.1 Ghz

16GB RAM

All BIOS upgraded to latest.

To eliminate any OS Issues, I re-installed Win7 64, Prepar3D, etc.

I am using the default config, runs OK, but as soon as I try adding shadows and moving the sliders to the right, I am getting performance degradation. For shadows, I use very low settings (min shadows settings for all 3)

I looked at most tweaks posted by my fellow simmers, but nothing seems to help. Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance!

John.

With clouds and shadows you should adjust your settings very careful. Maybe you will reduce in ASN the amount of cloud layers and some other settings. You have to find the right balance.

Spirit

This is an LM effort to allow people with limited hardware to experience SOME advanced features. Clouds and the shadows are touchy subjects. The area involved, the resolution of the clouds (REX, etc) and the personality of the flyer are all in the mix. With my setup I can enjoy "some" clouds over Iceland (demo). But if I use real weather It becomes potluck. So, I am on the hairy edge but still able to see "what I am missing" with the proper environment and settings.

The best I can do on my next hardware purchase is an eBay 680 video card but for me that will be (hopefully) a big step. In the meantime I believe I am getting a "flying" experience that is noticeably better than FSX which recently fell victim to the delete key.

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

Thanks for the feedback! I am just surprised that with a 780 I need to dial down the settings that much. I also tested without ASN (I already had reduced settings there), using the stormy weather theme and still get major FPS dips / pause every few seconds.

John

It is not an ASN issue. I have Dual 780's in SLI and get the same with or without ASN. The resolution of the cloud sets and the cloud shadows are key. You really have to balance that load. Turning off cloud shadows in anything except scattered clouds is a big plus.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

thanks Vic, yes agreed, never implied ASN was the issue as I get performance hit with the default weather theme. It is a shame that even with high end GPUs we have to turn thnings down. I really love these cloud shadows, hard to turn it off :)

John

Didn't mean to imply that John - came out wrong. Sorry.

LOL - I know what you mean. I've gotten into the habit of keeping a GPU uasge meter open during flight - when they both start to go over 55% I will get some FPS degrading. Of course you don 't need shadows in a heavy overcast!  :)

They are so great looking in scattered to moderate coverage though.

In a conversation with Wes Bard he said that they are continuing to push the envelope both hardware and software wise.

The GOOD thing about all of this is that upgrading GPU's every now and then is a heckuva lot better that mobo/cpu & memory!!  Cheaper too.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Monitor your GPU about loading, heat etc. and think about OC your CPU.

Spirit

and think about OC your CPU.

You think their going to grab that much more by going above 4.1 ghz ?

You think their going to grab that much more by going above 4.1 ghz ?

Why not? A try doesn't cost anything. The GPU can also still OC a bit.

Spirit

Altho the cloud issue is GPU related, when the GPU gets slammed it tries to steal cycles from the CPU which usually results is FPS drop and choppy action. So increaseing the clock can help but it won't solve the problem. Bigger and better video cards (yet to be manufactured) or balancing the sliders.

Vic

I have been playing with settings (CPU already OC'd and OC GPU via GPU Tweak Utility, dialed back sliders, autogen normal, etc.). It is mostly OK, except under overcast, where I suppose I can turn off cloud shadows.

Today I installed FTX Global, started a flight with ASN (broken clouds, etc), it looked amazing .. unfortunately I hit an OOM after a while... I thought this had been addressed with 2.2 :( I am feeling no luck with P3D lately

John

Sometimes I find myself using lower display settings at both ends of my flight, but higher settings when in the air.  Switching settings back and forth isn't great, but if you save you profiles they can be loaded quickly and I rarely get an OOM. 

Forever indebted to the late Michael Greenblatt of FSGS.

Make sure you dont have any AA by nvidia Inspector set....as example sparse grid supersampling absolutly kills performance with clouds....

I just found out about this...since then I have the smoothest experience ever in FS hystory... :-)