Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

The finest flight simulator, I have ever seen...wow.....

Take note that any Carenado aircraft older than the C208B only has an installer for FSX, so no way to install those in Prepar3D 2.2 directly.[/quote

For the ones mentioned, they do install with the P3D bullet highlighted .

All agreed and great to see more people aboard. I say we all deserve it after all the years of frustrations dealing with fsx and the thing is, it doesnt just stop at two service packs, but will be continued on, with determination to make it just right. 

Sure it has hiccups, and performance issues, but they will be ironed out, and PC flight simulation has never looked so good. Heres to a new frontier to flying the skies on a PC.

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

I'm sorry but nothing has come close to the raleigh scattering artwork tweaks done in XP10 to simulate atmospherics. And cloud shadows are great, but they destroy performance when there are thick layers of cloud. No doubt P3Dv2 is far above and beyond FSX but it still has it's compromises.

I'm not bagging P3Dv2, it's my favourite flight sim, but these kind of posts aren't particularly productive. Every flight sim does some things better and some things worse. It's great to point out its strengths, but we must also acknowledge it's weaknesses so that it can improve :)

Guest Mik75

I'm sorry but nothing has come close to the raleigh scattering artwork tweaks done in XP10 to simulate atmospherics. And cloud shadows are great, but they destroy performance when there are thick layers of cloud. No doubt P3Dv2 is far above and beyond FSX but it still has it's compromises.

I'm not bagging P3Dv2, it's my favourite flight sim, but these kind of posts aren't particularly productive. Every flight sim does some things better and some things worse. It's great to point out its strengths, but we must also acknowledge it's weaknesses so that it can improve :)

I have to agree! XPX is still far superior in terms of realistic atmospheric effects and overall look! But P3D V2.2 really caught my attention. Since I switched to X-Plane I barely used FSX, P3D is a quite stable platform with an appealing look on which I can enjoy many of my payware addons I originally bought for MSFS (A2A stuff, Carenao, Aerosoft Airbus, Twotter, MJC Q400, etc.).

I've read here on AVSIM that v2.3 will mainly increase the performance, so I am really looking forward to the things to come!

The X-Plane 10 and P3Dv2 graphics engines both have their advantages and disadvantages. Certainly the shadows in X-Plane 10 seem to come with a smaller performance impact, but they are far from perfect. Real-time shadowing is one of the most complex and demanding graphics features, so it's always going to be a compromise. The same is true for atmospheric modelling. X-Plane does scattering and atmospheric effects really well, but nothing beats the volumetric fog of P3Dv2. Clouds also tend to look more natural in P3Dv2 and even in FSX when compared to XP10.

The important point is that XP10 and P3D now belong to the same *generation* of graphics engines. The generational gap of 8 years has been eliminated.The actual bullet-point feature sets are comparable, just implemented differently. Before, P3D/FSX was simply lacking many modern techniques and features such as true HDR rendering and real-time global shadows.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

X-Plane does scattering and atmospheric effects really well, but nothing beats the volumetric fog of P3Dv2. 

If find the volumetric fog both good and bad. Good for fog, but it also greats this solid line on the horizon, where everything above it is clear as day, everything below it is faded. It looks really odd. Could be some setting I need to tweak maybe?

Can't edit my post.... meant creates not greats (yikes).