Sign in to follow this  
MDF86

Any issues with running at unlimited FPS?

I can't edit previous post, so...

I made flight with unlimited frames (PMDG JS41) - generally fps and smoothness of camera movements were good, but stutters (generally in external view) still exist (with frames limiter also exist, both internal or external). Time of textures sharpening is a bit better with frames limit set.

The PMDG is a complex aircraft, it's likely that regardless of what you do your system still struggles to simulate this beast. You would find with a default aircraft vastly different results. As I said a few responses ago, in these circumstances having unlimited frees up some much needed processing power so you can maintain as close to 30 as possible.

I made some short tests yestarday: PMDG777 on apron at LSZH (freeware scenery from avsim library), time of day: dusk. Each test in the same situation and the same weather condition (ASN running).

a. only internal limiter set to 60

b. internal limiter set on 60 and Inspector limit set on 30

c. only Inspector limiter set on 30.

While testing I made some "head" movements in VC (EZDok Cam.) and panning in external view.

For me, option c. is the best. Frames in external view almost still 30 and in VC averages 23-24, rather not less then 20. While flight - time of textures sharpening is acceptable.

Although I have stutters sometimes and I don't know how to get rid it of :( (when limit frames in FSX on 30 also have these stutters). Ps. I also use Windowed vsync (Aero on) and "pseudo full screen" mode).

a. pointless as you cannot render your PMDG at >60fps anyway.

b. again pointless, you will just lose FPS.

c. not a surprising result when comparing to a and b.

Pure smoothness is only achievable when:

a) the internal limiter is set AND

b) your computer can render the scene at the limit imposed AND

c) fps matches, or is half of, your monitor refresh rate with vsync enabled

Anything else will produce stutters (be it few or many).

The PMDG is a complex aircraft, it's likely that regardless of what you do your system still struggles to simulate this beast. You would find with a default aircraft vastly different results. As I said a few responses ago, in these circumstances having unlimited frees up some much needed processing power so you can maintain as close to 30 as possible.

Yes, the JS41 was never fully optimised. Many were expecting a second service pack, but PMDG moved on to bigger things and left it on the shelf.

I think JS41 is not too bad... for me, VC fps is comparable with NGX/T7 or sometimes even better.