Sign in to follow this  
slimfly

OOM's anyway!

Hi,

I am using this thread to avoid starting another topic on OOM.

I experienced my 1st OOM ever in my simming life with the 777 on last sunday.

So I read the manual and also all the discussion in this thread to see what actions to take.

My situation:

- Win 7 64bits

- HIGHMEM=1

- I never tweaked FSX.cfg LOD_RADIUS value

- I never use AI trafic

- I do not have photoreal scenery

- I do not have ultra high resolution environment textures

- Clouds is FSX default. Detailed clouds = yes. Coverage density = maximum

- I have Active Sky Next. Max and min cloud draw distance = 90

- Water is FSX default = low 1.x

- Autogen = very dense

- I have more and more detailed addons airports (FlyTampa, Taxi2Gate, FlightBeam, FSDT, Aerosoft, ImagineSim...). Scenery complexity = extremely dense (but PMDG says: the effect of these in our testing is relatively minor)

My action plan:

- Reduce autogen to dense or normal

- Disable airport sceneries I do not use often

- Download the Process Explorer utility to monitor VAS

My questions:

1) Can you confirm that I have to disable the airport sceneries (they are NOT 'large photoreal sceneries' as I understand) even if I am not flying over them and never go near them?

2) 777simmer, you are refering to a Microsoft OOM fix. I've not heard of it so far. But I understand that it does not work for everybody/system?

3) Regarding the Process Explorer: is there a trick to log, in a txt file for example, the VAS usage over time? The reason is that I like flying fullscreen and I do not want to switch to the Process Explorer every 10 min. What I would like to do is let the Process Explorer work in the background and log the VAS usage and if I get an OOM then I would analyze the log file. 

Thanks for your help!

- TONY -

1) In those cases I'd say, there is no need to disable them.

3) You can use the logging option in FSUIPC instead: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/441944-fsx-freezes-after-1-3h-of-flight-and-continues/?p=2987240

It can create a log file (not sure whether it takes the registered version, though), but in any case you'll get a continuous readout (remaining/free VAS) to follow, even with the unregistered version.

Guest voodoo101

If you are struggling with OOMS there is a simple solution that also helps with frame rates and texture loading times. PMDG uses quite high texture sizes, these look excellent however use great chunks of VAS memory. I have reduced VC and exterior textures by 50% in Photoshop as such the texture folder size has reduced. Other aircraft addons have smaller textures so you do not get the VAS problems. I have gained a few FPS with doing this, reduced the VAS memory and not noticed any significant difference with the look of the 777. If you want to do this then back up the texture folders so if all fails you can restore.

You can also do this a step further by reducing the size of any airport  textures that again you get problems with. I have done this and again, cannot see any difference in quality.  

Oliver: Great link. Thank you. Yes I have FSUIPC registered.

Craig: Thanks too. I do not think I will Photoshop (I am not very keen on tweaking) but the trick is smart.

- TONY -

1) I agree with Olli. No need to disable airports.

2) http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947246

This fix is required on some release versions of Win7.

It may not help you at all.

If you never had OOMs before using the 777, then I would say you dont need it and the reason you OOM is because of the simple equasion mentioned before. Because If something was wrong with your system, other airplanes would OOM as well.

3) Yes, FSUIPC can log VAS, however I tried it once and it seemed to stop logging after a few minutes. Maybe I did something wrong.

I used process explorer before, but now I use FSUIPC to display VAS in FSX menu (or is it called the title bar?) (on top).

You do have to drop out of full screen mode and into windowed mode for checking VAS this way as well.

Still though, I like it better to test in full screen windowed mode with FSUIPC than with process explorer which opens up a whole new window that I have to place somewhere visible!

On a side note, I am surprised you had an OOM with the FSX settings you have posted above.

Unless you both depart from one and arrive at another one of those cool addon airports you use...you should not OOM with those medium settings.

Just so you can compare...here are some of my results after a fresh Win7 install and a pretty much default FSX environment:

(I posted this before in another thread)

Did a test flight from KJFK to KLAX with the PMDG777 (in 4x accelerated flight during cruise.....not sure if that makes a difference VAS wise).

FSX settings:

Glob text res - max

no dx10, no lens flare and no light bloom, but

adv animations - checked.

aircraft shadows gnd/itself - both not checked

aircraft lndg lights illuminate gnd - checked

LOD - large (= 4.5 in the .cfg)

mesh complexity - 100

texture resolution - 7cm

water effects midx2

land detail textures - checked

Autogen and scenery complexity - one click before max, very dense

ground scenery shadows - not checked

special effects - max

Cloud draw distance - 60mi

AI traffic - 35% Gen Aviation, 45% airlines, airport vehicles low, no cars, ships and boats at 20%

Default FSX scenery!

Default FSX water/cloud textures!

zero other addons except 777 and OPUS!

but

OPUS real world (live) weather running

T.O. from KJFK started with 1.17GB free VAS.

During cruise some VAS was freed up again....like 200MB or so.

Landing in KLAX with 0.8GB free VAS.....so that is not much.

So if the departure airport and arrival airport add another 800mb of VAS....then.....OOM :-(

Rob Robson

Addon scenery or anything else is not relevant in this context as the problem is only present when flying PMDG.

I wonder why it can be such a big surprise for anyone here when similar VAS/OOM experiences regarding to the PMDG T7 is to found all over the internet these days.  

You're ignoring what actually causes these problems with a statement like that. "Anything else" most certainly is relevant. I can OOM the default Cessna if I load up enough crazy photoscenery packages and 4096 clouds etc. - please read this:

http://support.precisionmanuals.com/kb/a108/vas-management-stopping-out-of-memory-oom-errors

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Rob/Tony:

From Jim's post on the FSUIPC free VAS readout: "Select where you would like to have the usage displayed. The FS Window is for Full Screen sessions. The FS Title Bar is for Windowed Mode."

Rob/Tony:

From Jim's post on the FSUIPC free VAS readout: "Select where you would like to have the usage displayed. The FS Window is for Full Screen sessions. The FS Title Bar is for Windowed Mode."

Ok thx Olli, I will try that :-)

Rob Robson

theres something wrong with your pc, because my friend which doesnt even have minimums for PMDG 777 is runing her without any OOMs (he have like 2 core 1.6ghz cpu, 3 gigs of ram, and he doesnt even have sliders to left) .. so reinstall windows, you are probably runing some kind of weirdo in your pc which could cause the problem

I've been flying CS 767 for years and lately the CS 777

You have my heartfelt sympathy.

Thanks Oli and Rob for your infos, advices and tips. Il will try FSUIPC VAS loggin today.

Jaroslav, it is possible that my PC has some kind of weirdo as you say but I don't think so. Here's why:

Before the OOM I made some long haul flights without any problem. For example: 8+ hours Paris Roissy - Washington Dulles with 2 detailed addon airports at departure and destination. The flight on which I had the OOM was 2:45 hour from Paris Roissy to Djerba (Tunisia) with 2 detailed addon airports at departure and destination. After discussing here yesterday I realized that I flew right over Nice (South French Riviera)... another detailed addon airport! And thinking again about it today, I realize that the flight path was near my addon airport of Geneva.

Conclusion: 4 detailed addon airports on my path! That's obviously too much. So I will set up FSUIPC to log VAS today and in the next couple of days I will do again Paris Roissy-Djerba to see how VAS goes along the route.

- TONY -

So I will set up FSUIPC to log VAS today

Works fine!

1. Set-up

fsuipc_log_vas_01.png

2. Result in full screen mode

fsuipc_log_vas_02.png

3. Result in log file

4555 Monitor IPC:024C (S32) = 3512624
    14352 Monitor IPC:024C (S32) = 3263668
    24273 Monitor IPC:024C (S32) = 3091184
    28719 System time = 19/06/2014 20:01:30, Simulator time = 19:11:50 (02:11Z)
    28719 Aircraft="Aircreation582SL red"
    29718 Starting everything now ...
    29718 AES Link established
    31044 Advanced Weather Interface Enabled
    31559 Ready for ASN WX radar
    34164 Monitor IPC:024C (S32) = 2961504
    44241 Monitor IPC:024C (S32) = 2963548
    64334 Monitor IPC:024C (S32) = 2964060
    74568 Monitor IPC:024C (S32) = 2964572
    94536 Monitor IPC:024C (S32) = 2964060
   104520 Monitor IPC:024C (S32) = 2965084
   154877 Monitor IPC:024C (S32) = 2980632
   167420 System time = 19/06/2014 20:03:49, Simulator time = 19:12:01 (02:12Z)
   167420 *** FSUIPC log file being closed
Average frame rate for running time of 12 secs = 59.0 fps

- TONY -

Guys, thanks for your kind intention of being helpful! But, again my topic was entirely meant as a statement.

I've been around for many, many years, so I know exactly what I'm talking about!

BTW, I'm already using LOD 4.5000. Autogen is set to Sparse. Texture Max Load to 1024.

As said, again, no problems whatsoever with CS 767 and 777 even with much higher settings!

So something is obviously NOT working as it should with PMDG.

However considering the fact that the 777 is rather new to PMDG I'm prepared for some patience here, to some extend....    

So you just started this thread to ###### then?  And not read any information?

What's wrong with this forum these days?  People here are starting to suck, A LOT.

OP didn't want advice. Just wanted to troll.

While he lives in ignorance, let me enjoy my 4 hour flights in the PMDG 777

in about 11 hours from now I will be flying the PMDG 777 on VATSIM while livestreaming the whole event. I have my NL2000, Orbx (most of it), Ricardo Paulo Rio & Sao Paulo sceneries deactivated, Clouds at 1024 etc, and fully expect to have no actual OOM for over 10 hours of flying.

Even with the Overland RKSI, FTX NA Northern California and FlightBeam KSFO active and in sight during takeoff/landing.

(Freezes still happen on occasion, but my last 2 test flights on this route went across the whole way without issue).

I'm not looking for any comments or remarks from the OP troll. I will ignore them. If he replies I will pretend like I never saw it and it never happened.