Sign in to follow this  
jarianslake

FSDT Couatl/Addon Manager Splash CTD

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased and installed FSDT's GSX, which also installed the Addon manager and Couatl script engine. I already had a copy of these installed on my machine. Now, FSX will CTD after a few seconds of the splash screen. It will allow me to say that I 'trust' the modules, and to run them.

Things I've tried;

Disabling anti-virus and omitting various DLL's from it's protection.

Installing the addon manager and Couatl seperately from FSDT's website

Ensuring the various Microsoft C++ Redistributables are installed correctly.

Deleting FSX.CFG

I believe the problem may be stemming from the fact that I already had these programs installed in my machine. 

Any ideas?

Thanks a bunch,
Callum

Works fine on my end.. I also already had the Addon manager and Couatl script engine as well from other sceneries and just installed IAH and DFW. No problems here. Have you tried the FSDT forum?

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased and installed FSDT's GSX, which also installed the Addon manager and Couatl script engine. I already had a copy of these installed on my machine. Now, FSX will CTD after a few seconds of the splash screen. It will allow me to say that I 'trust' the modules, and to run them.

Things I've tried;

Disabling anti-virus and omitting various DLL's from it's protection.

Installing the addon manager and Couatl seperately from FSDT's website

Ensuring the various Microsoft C++ Redistributables are installed correctly.

Deleting FSX.CFG

I believe the problem may be stemming from the fact that I already had these programs installed in my machine. 

Any ideas?

Thanks a bunch,

Callum

Try the latest addon manager if you haven't yet - you want to make sure you are using the latest especially after loading new purchases from them

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/products_addonmanager.html

Rich Sennett

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "MS FSX Forum" to "Crash To Desktop (CTD) Forum". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

A new Coautl update was released this week. Try updating this. Update outside the sim. There is an updater application in the folder in FSX installation folders. Run the updater from there and see if this get it sorted.

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

I am getting the same CTD as well after installing the QW757 (which utilizes Addon Manager.) I previously had GSX and some FSDT sceneries. I would appreciate it if you could share your solution when you find it. Installing the latest Addon Manager/updating Couatl didn't solve my problem.

I finally updated my Addon Manager after ignoring the message for a month, and now I have CTDs at splash screen. I should have never updated. After I completely uninstalled Addon Manager, FSX stopped crashing (so it must have been a dll specific to the fsdreamteam folder crashing FSX).

Been a fan of FSDT's stuff for a while, and was excited about the GSX deicing update, but I'm losing my patience with this Couatl engine and its incessant broken updates. It doesn't seem so difficult for me at this point to wave goodbye to all my FSDT stuff and avoid this frustration altogether.       

Best to go to their support forum where you will be asked to upload the GSX error log. You problem will get solved and yes Couatl brings with it some grief but damn they make the best airports for your money and how you gonna replace KLAX and KJFK?

ZORAN

Complete restoration of the main FSX folder from recent backup did the trick. FSX is no longer crashing with FSDT stuff active. Something in the FSX folder must have become corrupted in the update process.

Sure KLAX and GSX are great, those are the only two things of theirs I have, but it's really not worth this kind of grief. There's all sorts of nice airports and addons that don't require such complex and trouble-causing engines running in the background, appendages which are bound to conflict with all sorts of different things including Windows itself. It throws another knot into an already overburdened simulator, and it demands exponentially more time than other addons just to keep it updated.

To add to this issue, FSDT's website does not reflect the needs of its customer base, or cater to them. GSX is not in the products page, you can only download it by clicking on an ad banner on the home page.. Addon manager downloads are not marked with version numbers so you don't know which your downloading. The main website bar has no downloads tabs, no support tab, no updates tab, like any other developer would have, yet their software demands more installs and updates. It's not logically laid out, which makes maintaining this convoluted software even more of a pain. 

Sorry, I'll stop venting. Things are working now, so I'll just try to be happy and stay clear of updates. 

addon manager and Couatl seperately from FSDT's website

I've never heard of this. Installation of any FSDT product is automatic by right clicking on the product installation program and selecting "Run as Administrator". When it is completed and you first start up FSX, it will give you the option of trusting the Addon Manager. You should state "Yes". Once FSX is loaded, then look up in the Menu and click on Addons and you will see Couatl and the Addon Manager. No need to click on Couatl. Click on Addon Manager and go to the scenery that you purchased and it will tell you whether the scenery was installed properly or not and then give you the option to activate by entering the key provided in your e-mail. Make sure you are in Windowed Mode as sometimes this option to enter the key is hidden behind the FSX window and you will have to look down in the task bar on Windows and click on the icon to bring the FSDT key window to the front. Paste your registration key in this box and click okay. You should see that the product has been activated.

I know you can install the Addon Manager separately from the product (which is not a good idea unless the product has been installed) but I have no idea how you would install the security program, Couatl, separately.

If you are not seeing the option to trust the Addon Manager when you start up FSX, you could already be trusted. You can open up your FSX.cfg and delete every line about FSDT, restart FSX, and the options to trust the items will be provided again.

After you install a FSDT product, you can open up Windows Explorer and go to the directory where it was installed, say in the main FSX folder under FSDreamTeam. In that folder you will see the installation guide that gives you step by step instructions. In the folder for your product, say GSX, you will find the manual that will tell you what to do after you install the product and give you information on the trial period and how to purchase it.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

To add to this issue, FSDT's website does not reflect the needs of its customer base, or cater to them. GSX is not in the products page, you can only download it by clicking on an ad banner on the home page.. Addon manager downloads are not marked with version numbers so you don't know which your downloading. The main website bar has no downloads tabs, no support tab, no updates tab, like any other developer would have, yet their software demands more installs and updates. It's not logically laid out, which makes maintaining this convoluted software even more of a pain.

- The FSDT website doesn't contain any ads or banners.

We host our files on Mediafire, but since we have a Business account that we pay for, users won't see any ads, the download will just start without seeing anything. The only possible reason I can think of why you saw ads during the download, is that you were already logged in with your free Mediafire account, but that's just a guess.

The reason why we use Mediafire for host files (again, without ANY ads, because we have a full business account, so users won't see any ads), is that we need way more bandwidth compared to other developers that, not having a Trial version, must put a limit on downloads and require you to purchase something in order to download, require you to login if you need to download again, and can only openly publish patches, so when you reinstall, you must to through the annoying process of installing a base installer and search for patches on the site.

Instead, thanks to our Trial and Live Update system:

1) You don't have to worry about downloading, you can download even before purchase, and you are guaranteed you are always getting the very latest version.

2) You don't have to worry about keeping a backup of the installers on your system, because we are storing them for you, and for everyone, in the clear, without asking for an account, without limitations, forever. No "login in your account to download", no "download insurances" to pay for download for the next years, nothing. Always freely available, no registration of any kind required, nothing.

3) You don't have to worry about patches, because we only keep the very latest version of the installer online, and the installer always downloads all the important files automatically when it starts. If there are important scenery updates, you can be notified in two ways, either with the Live Update notifications, that can apply updates automatically, or with the "scenery outdated" messages in the Addon Manager, which ask you to download the scenery installer again, and they are very rare.

The only downside of this, is that we consume WAY more bandwidth, that's why we can't host on our server, but must use an high-capacity host like Mediafire, and it will also be faster for everyone.

- All Downloads can be easily found on the "Products" page:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/products.html

- Downloads links are also repeated on each and every "Info" page of every product

- There are standard tabs on the site, it's just that "Downloads" is called "Products", and "Support" is divided between two tabs, one called "Forum" and the other called "Contact Us", both are obviously used for support.

- There's no need for you to worry about Updates, because you don't need Updates. The full installers are always the latest version of the scenery, the installers automatically download all the current Addon Manager/Couatl support files automatically, and there's a LIVE UPDATE notification system, that can notify you of updates and apply them automatically without having to download and install something. If there's some change in the scenery that DOES require to download the full scenery installer, there IS a notification for this too.

- All installers automatically download the current Addon Manager, Couatl and lots of many scenery files automatically when they run. The only reason to download the Stand-Alone Addon Manager installer separately, is to have it update many files for all your installed sceneries, all at the same time, without having to re-run all the scenery installers one by one.

- On top of that, with Couatl scripting, we can even patch and change scenery files on the fly, without having to change actual files either, so you can get fixes with the Live Update method without having to download an updated scenery.

More explanation here on why you don't need to worry about updates, unless notified:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,10622.msg82624.html#msg82624

Sorry, I'll stop venting. Things are working now, so I'll just try to be happy and stay clear of updates.

If had a look at our forum in the relevant thread about this, or contacted our support email, it would have saved you from the hassle of restoring the whole FSX folder, because there wasn't ANY need for that.

What really caused your FSX to Quit to the desktop, it wasn't the updated Addon Manager, but other files in FSX that needed to be removed, and if you contacted me in private as explained on our forum thread about this issue, you would understand why it can't be dealt with in public.