Sign in to follow this  
SpoonerFLIGHT

XP10 and FSX Coming to Steam!

Pretty sure you can turn off the automatic updating if you right click the game in your library and choose "properties". Then go to updates and where it says automatic updates just turn that off. :)

Also, you can easily play your games if Steam's servers are down, you just run Steam in offline mode (which it usually does automatically if something like that happens or you have no connection)

Pretty sure you can turn off the automatic updating if you right click the game in your library and choose "properties". Then go to updates and where it says automatic updates just turn that off. :)

Also, you can easily play your games if Steam's servers are down, you just run Steam in offline mode (which it usually does automatically if something like that happens or you have no connection)

Correct. Steam also now allows game streaming. You can run your more demanding games on your powerfulpc and stream them to your sub-par computer(weak laptop).

I have Train Simulator 2014, well I had the previous version of Train Simulator, and the reason I don't like steam is because it automatically updated my Train Simulator without asking my permission first! 

I don't like that idea. Can you imagine not being able to access FSX or XP10 because the internet is down?

I may be wrong but I have always thought that buying things off of "Steam" is granted easy enough to do, but do you actually own a downloaded copy of the purchase on your computers hard drive, or is the game held on Steams servers. Because if the latter is the case and their servers go down at any time then you can't access your purchases. 

You can turn off automatic updates in the game's properties... Come on, you didn't even bother to look it up it seems.

Are you talking about when the servers are down for maintenance, or if doomsday was to happen to Steam? When the servers are down, just start your game in offline mode. Simple.

And about the servers being gone for good (As highly unlikely as that is), Steam has explicitly said that they will unlock all games to be DRM free if something was to happen. But this won't happen anyways.

Just some thoughts, maybe others can tell me if I am right or wrong! I don't really like the idea of fsx being on steam and how that effects our add on after market people like Just Flight, Carenado and PMDG to name a few.

Well that really doesn't affect anyone but those who bought it from Steam.

I've a huge new 4k TV that can do 3D. I'm tempted to get a steam machine next year only to fly in 3D. Oh wait, will XP work in 3D at all? Well I could also try to stream from my PC. Any ideas on how to do that?

Addons will simply need to go into steam/x-plane/etc., hence no problem.

I've a huge new 4k TV that can do 3D. I'm tempted to get a steam machine next year only to fly in 3D. Oh wait, will XP work in 3D at all? Well I could also try to stream from my PC. Any ideas on how to do that?

Addons will simply need to go into steam/x-plane/etc., hence no problem.

When you say Steam machine, are you talking about the Steam Box, or just a computer that will run Steam?

Yes, you can stream from your good PC that is running XPlane to any other computer in your house, even if the computer can't run XPlane. Heck, any crappy Dell or HP laptop will work for this.

They haven't yet released any info on 3D for XPlane, I think.

I know that I can stream but I was hoping for some links etc. I'm not sure what cable I need etc. if I want to connect my PC to my new 3D TV. ~10 years ago I've watched videos from my pc on my tv, but both devices have changed. Anyone experienced have a look at my hw profile and thanks for infos.

I know that I can stream but I was hoping for some links etc. I'm not sure what cable I need etc. if I want to connect my PC to my new 3D TV. ~10 years ago I've watched videos from my pc on my tv, but both devices have changed. Anyone experienced have a look at my hw profile and thanks for infos.

Take a look at this video. He says that it's still in "beta" but it was actually fully released a few weeks ago or last month. This video is a little bit old, but it explains the concept very well. Take a look: 

Edited by linux731

Thanks. This vid suggests that it's better to go with a cheap steam box instead of connecting my PC to TV directly? I think about lag...I might wait for the Oculus Rift anyway.

Thanks. This vid suggests that it's better to go with a cheap steam box instead of connecting my PC to TV directly? I think about lag...I might wait for the Oculus Rift anyway.

Well apparently the service doesn't lag that much. It really depends on your home networking. If you use ethernet, it will probably have no lag at all.

If you currently hook up your computer to TV, you can still do all that! Steam doesn't take any of that away, it just adds in-home streaming as a bonus feature. Say you weren't able to play FSX on your laptop before so you always had to use that desktop and stay right there. Now you can stream it to your laptop and play all around the house. :P

If you currently hook up your computer to TV, you can still do all that! Steam doesn't take any of that away, it just adds in-home streaming as a bonus feature. Say you weren't able to play FSX on your laptop before so you always had to use that desktop and stay right there. Now you can stream it to your laptop and play all around the house. :P

Exactly right

One of the dev blogs mentioned they have Oculus Rift working on all three OS platforms, but they'll probably wait to release X-Plane integration until the consumer Rift version is officially out.

The Rift won't work for people who are using additional monitors or iPads for things like nav displays and moving maps, but for those of us who aren't doing that, and using HOTAS setups where everything is under our fingers, this should be sweet!

I don't think my current rig is powerful enough to run a 3D display at the kind of frame rates I'd want, so I won't be getting it right away. But eventually, yep!

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Steam Workshop brings about many positive possibilities for new ways to release addons (while old ways would/should still work just as always) and rocks. :) X-Plane just came out on Steam btw.

-Jonathan