Sign in to follow this  
SpoonerFLIGHT

XP10 and FSX Coming to Steam!

Thanks for the info.  So the game runs on their server and you just see the downloaded "movie" of it ?  Or do you actually install it on your computer?

You'd need quite an internet connection to smoothly stream a game from another location without noticeable control delay. With Steam, you install the game just like anything else.

Brandon Filer

Not true. Nights of the Nine came out in 2009 on Steam. I bought Oblivion in 2008; it had been out a while.

Look, people, I gave you my personal opinion. If you like Steam, that's fine with me. I've been gaming starting with Origin back in 91. I've been building PCs as long. I'm not here to discount what you think or to sway your opinion to something else. If you like a Steam based FSX, who am I to say you're wrong? I just won't buy it. To each their own.

My experience with Steam really did happen as I said. Now, I'm finished. Please talk about it as you wish. Your opinions are your own. Me, I have a computer to rebuild.

I think you maybe confusing Microsoft Games for Windows live with Steam. IIRC it was sold strictly thru MS in the beginning as once Skyrim was announced the GOTY edition was sold on Steam. I would look into your GFWL account and it may be there,

Not true. Nights of the Nine came out in 2009 on Steam. I bought Oblivion in 2008; it had been out a while.

Look, people, I gave you my personal opinion. If you like Steam, that's fine with me. I've been gaming starting with Origin back in 91. I've been building PCs as long. I'm not here to discount what you think or to sway your opinion to something else. If you like a Steam based FSX, who am I to say you're wrong? I just won't buy it. To each their own.

My experience with Steam really did happen as I said. Now, I'm finished. Please talk about it as you wish. Your opinions are your own. Me, I have a computer to rebuild.

If you bought Oblivion in 2008, you bought the Game of the Year edition. The GoTY edition came out on Steam on September 10, 2007.

If you've been gaming since 1991, then surely you are missing out on some great games that are Steam exclusives. 

I think you maybe confusing Microsoft Games for Windows live with Steam. IIRC it was sold strictly thru MS in the beginning as once Skyrim was announced the GOTY edition was sold on Steam. I would look into your GFWL account and it may be there,

He's not talking about Skyrim. (And anyway, I believe Skyrim was sold on GFWL, but it's no longer sold there.)

Thanks for the info.  So the game runs on their server and you just see the downloaded "movie" of it ?  Or do you actually install it on your computer?

Uhhh no.

Steam is just a digital store for games. When you buy something there, it gets added to your library. Anywhere you log on to Steam, you'll always see your games there.

Some games on Steam now have Cloud support, which means you can log in anywhere in the world and continue your progress from wherever you left off. It's a really good system. Kevin's dislike for it seems a little unjustified, in my opinion. 

He's not talking about Skyrim. (And anyway, I believe Skyrim was sold on GFWL, but it's no longer sold there.)

I wasn't either. I beleive Oblivion was offered on GFWL. Think we have hijacked this thread enough..lol

The thing I would be most excited about with X-Plane on Steam is hopefully not having to play the game of "Which Disc 1 do I need to get it out of demo mode" without resorting to a $30 authentication drive.  Also not having to worry about whether my DVD drive works with the DVD's because I had a lot of issues originally installing it and with a lot of help of the X-Plane store I figured out it was my DVD drive lol.

As for the Dovetail thing I have a lot of thoughts and concerns but until I see anything I am not saying a word on it.  X-Plane is replacing FSX for me as it is no need to look back lol

Is it really 80GB?  :o

LOL. At least, Then add you addons. Now you know why they don't have airport buildings, realistic clouds and season change textures.

I don't see a problem here, as long as current CD owners can migrate smoothly.

If nothing else, the Steam process for installing beta versions vs. the current release version has worked very well here, for all kinds of "early access" and beta version games. Anything is better than that tedious "checking your files" dialog for X-Plane updates and beta versions.

I don't like Valve's monopoly status here as an online gaming portal, but having seen similar efforts by Microsoft GFWL, Ubisoft, and EA.... yeah, this isn't so bad.

Is it really 80GB?  :o

Sure, if you want every runway and navaid in the world... which would be dumb, if you're new to the sim.

Most of us install just what we need, for the areas we fly in.  And then we look for free (mostly) or payware (sometimes) scenery for that area. And then as we want to fly in more areas, we activate that additional scenery and databases.

It will be interesting to see how Steam handles this. I haven't seen this kind of "download what you need" in any other product there, so it may well be a full 80gb download.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

As far as I was aware steam can be de activated through the options menu, so as not to always run in background?

Cheers ,

Mal...

As far as I was aware steam can be de activated through the options menu, so as not to always run in background?

Of course!

It doesn't even have to run when you start your computer. In fact, Steam is so obscure that if you launch a game that requires it to be open while Steam itself is closed, it will open it, and keep it minimized without ever showing you the client.

Glad xplane moving to steam as got good future as decent flight sim alternative and those Carendo planes sure look pretty in XPX. I got remote flight app for my button issues anyways. Vivid feel of xplane and terrian mesh is far better than any FSX has. Want xplane to succeed because its potentail is under tapped unlike P3d and FSX.

alright so I don't know what you guys have against Steam, but it's pretty freaking amazing. I don't know what the other guy is thinking of but there is sales all the time and they are on games we know and love. I just got $200 worth of games for $50, Assassin's Creed 2 I got for 5 bucks, and I got the entire Splinter Cell Franchise for like $30. You can download the games on all the computers under your steam account unless the game's creator themselves have some limit otherwise. you don't have to worry about disks and I find this a huge advantage over the boxes! Steam is the majority of the PC Platform -- it basically turns your computer into a console except with way better graphics, less lag, and better prices. Through Steam you can also chat with your friends, join their games, etc. UPlay is not bad but doesn't have near as many games or features as Steam. I buy my Ubisoft games (Assassin's Creed, Splinter Cell Conviction) through Steam because it has better sales and then you can play the game through Steam still. Steam has an overlay so you can chat and even browse the internet during a game, which especially comes in handy if you're stuck on a certain part. I am a late responder but I'll take any criticism for Steam and try to respond because I love Steam. Yes, it does have to run during games but that's for the overlay and Origin does too, yet Steam uses less memory. it's not that much have a resource hog anyways and if it's slow on your computer that probably means your computer isn't very great for gaming in the first place (I'll come out and say it, my computer isn't very good for gaming as it's only a laptop with decent specs)s, though I can run most games fine and the graphics are beautiful, even on lower settings they beat consoles!). Steam rocks guys, and with this you can expect better multiplayer and cheaper prices because sales. It'll also be easier to get addons/dlc's because of how Steam works.

Cheers everyone.

-Jon

Forgive my grammar by the way, I'm typing on a phone keyboard and am running on few hours of sleep haha

Hi all,

I can't make my mind up about "steam".

I have Train Simulator 2014, well I had the previous version of Train Simulator, and the reason I don't like steam is because it automatically updated my Train Simulator without asking my permission first! Sounds nice to have the latest version, but when it comes with a whole new way of running the sim so that your old stuff won't work with the new version, I think that's not so good. That may have been Railworks who developed it at the time making a significant improvement to the sim but if they think I am willing to spend out again to update any DLC to the new version think again.

I may be wrong but I have always thought that buying things off of "Steam" is granted easy enough to do, but do you actually own a downloaded copy of the purchase on your computers hard drive, or is the game held on Steams servers. Because if the latter is the case and their servers go down at any time then you can't access your purchases. I don't like that idea. Can you imagine not being able to access FSX or XP10 because the internet is down? 

Just some thoughts, maybe others can tell me if I am right or wrong! I don't really like the idea of fsx being on steam and how that effects our add on after market people like Just Flight, Carenado and PMDG to name a few.

Happy Flying,

Dave Phillips.